Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Is Sammy Watkins afraid to get hit in the middle of the field

  1. #1

    Is Sammy Watkins afraid to get hit in the middle of the field

    So I'm watching this video on nfl.com titled Bigger impact as a rookie: Watkins or Evans? (Video below.) The video is around 3 and 1/2 minutes and half of it is dedicated to Evans. When they finally did start talking about Watkins within that 1 and a half minutes or so they showed 2 highlights when Watkins goes over the middle of the field, catches the ball and he falls right to the ground without being hit by a defensive player as if he was scared to take the hit. I just thought it was odd that in such a short time period there was more than 1 play that had Watkins doing this. There have been many wide receivers over the years that were big time in college but they sucked in the nfl because they were afraid to get hit in the middle of he field. That type of thing can cause lapses in concentration leading to drops too.

    To be honest I haven't watched much film on Watkins at all because I know he won't be there when we pick but I'd like to know what others who have think of this. Was it a rare couple of clips in that video or does he do this all the time?

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...tkins-or-Evans
    Last edited by persiussa; 03-27-2014 at 04:29 AM.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    So I'm watching this video on nfl.com titled Bigger impact as a rookie: Watkins or Evans? (Video below.) The video is around 3 and 1/2 minutes and half of it is dedicated to Evans. When they finally did start talking about Watkins within that 1 and a half minutes or so they showed 2 highlights when Watkins goes over the middle of the field, catches the ball and he falls right to the ground without being hit by a defensive player as if he was scared to take the hit. I just thought it was odd that in such a short time period there was more than 1 play that had Watkins doing this. There have been many wide receivers over the years that were big time in college but they sucked in the nfl because they were afraid to get hit in the middle of he field. That type of thing can cause lapses in concentration leading to drops too.

    To be honest I haven't watched much film on Watkins at all because I know he won't be there when we pick but I'd like to know what others who have think of this. Was it a rare couple of clips in that video or does he do this all the time?

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...tkins-or-Evans

    that seems to be a common thing with receivers now a days. i see it a lot where receivers over the middle just catch and fall. a lot of receivers don't like going over the middle, in fear they'll be destroyed. i can't say i blame em with guys like Whitner, Ward, Polamalu, Willis, etc sitting there.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    that seems to be a common thing with receivers now a days. i see it a lot where receivers over the middle just catch and fall. a lot of receivers don't like going over the middle, in fear they'll be destroyed. i can't say i blame em with guys like Whitner, Ward, Polamalu, Willis, etc sitting there.
    what are you talking about? The Nfl by their rules( can't hit a defenseless receiver) have taken out the big shot from defenders. You sneeze hard enough on those Wr's today, and expect a penalty to be called. See Dashon Goldson who basically cost his team three games all by himself last year.( kept drives alive )

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,357
    This is an aside, and not really related to the OP's thoughts on Sammy Watkins, but I really hate when anyone says about a WR or a QB that they "don't like being hit"...

    What WR or QB does like being hit? Show me a WR or QB who likes being hit, and I'll show you a WR or QB with a very short career.

    None of these guys like being hit. Avoiding hits is in the job description for skill position players.

    This is a different point from the "afraid to be hit" point that the OP raises, of course. But we hear the phrase "doesn't like being hit" so often in draft evaluations that it drives me nuts.

    Rant over!
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-27-2014 at 09:07 AM.

  5. #5
    It's not about whether you like being hit. It's about whether you're gonna decide not to turn around and try to get extra yards or maybe you're thinking more about getting hit than you are about catching the football. Some guys don't like being hit. Some fear it and that's when it effects your game.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    Yes, it/s B/R but it does pertain to this discussion so worth adding...

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-draft/page/4

    Sometimes, we become so comfortable with one guy being the consensus No. 1 at his position that we stop questioning his credentials for that spot. It feels as though that's become the case with Sammy Watkins, who could be challenged for the throne by Mike Evans.

    It's not as though Watkins isn't the real deal, but Evans has 20 pounds on Watkins yet was only one-tenth of a second slower in the 40-yard dash at the combine, per CBS Sports. He's also four inches taller with larger hands and a larger wingspan. Plus, he actually ran a quicker 20-yard shuttle.

    They both scored 12 touchdowns in 2013, and each had between 1,350 and 1,500 receiving yards. But Evans averaged more yards per catch by a margin of 5.7 (not insignificant), and Watkins is the one with some character concerns.

    It just seems to me that while Watkins' ceiling could be slightly higher, Evans could be a more reliable No. 1 receiver from the get-go. And I'm not alone, because CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler reported last week that at least two teams have Evans as the top wide receiver on their draft boards.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    that seems to be a common thing with receivers now a days. i see it a lot where receivers over the middle just catch and fall. a lot of receivers don't like going over the middle, in fear they'll be destroyed. i can't say i blame em with guys like Whitner, Ward, Polamalu, Willis, etc sitting there.
    Correct... Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne made great careers out of it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ny jets boss View Post
    In b4 DowNY comes in and says trade the farm for Sammy Watkins!!!

    Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Not sure bout that. I have seen Watkins run over safeties.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Looks like Watkins tripped actually. I am going out on a limb here, but Watkins is the first prospect I've seen that almost reminds me of Jerry Rice.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    So I'm watching this video on nfl.com titled Bigger impact as a rookie: Watkins or Evans? (Video below.) The video is around 3 and 1/2 minutes and half of it is dedicated to Evans. When they finally did start talking about Watkins within that 1 and a half minutes or so they showed 2 highlights when Watkins goes over the middle of the field, catches the ball and he falls right to the ground without being hit by a defensive player as if he was scared to take the hit. I just thought it was odd that in such a short time period there was more than 1 play that had Watkins doing this. There have been many wide receivers over the years that were big time in college but they sucked in the nfl because they were afraid to get hit in the middle of he field. That type of thing can cause lapses in concentration leading to drops too.

    To be honest I haven't watched much film on Watkins at all because I know he won't be there when we pick but I'd like to know what others who have think of this. Was it a rare couple of clips in that video or does he do this all the time?

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...tkins-or-Evans
    I think you got the wrong perception of Sammy. The guy welcomes contact and isnt afraid to put his head down and look to run someone over. Dont mistake being afraid vs being smart. Live to see another day if you can avoid another hit. But if you want to see Sammy put his head down and run through a defense. check out this clip:


  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Looks like Watkins tripped actually. I am going out on a limb here, but Watkins is the first prospect I've seen that almost reminds me of Jerry Rice.
    Actually Jerry Rice with higher ceiling, better athletic ability. Prob not Jerry's Work ethic, which made him the GOAT

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    I am dead serious. Watch his highlights, and tell me he doesn't remind you at least a little bit of Rice....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us