Page 58 of 157 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 3124

Thread: UPDATE: Chris Johnson Signed! (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ememnj View Post
    last time he went to a pro day the player cancelled his meeting and signed elsewhere-
    Perhaps he also missed out some free agents last year going to Missouri's pro day and all we ended up with was Sheldon Richardson. Stupid GM and his focusing on the draft. Why can't he be more like Al Davis or Dan Snyder and throw money at players, regardless of the cost?!?!?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ememnj View Post
    last time he went to a pro day the player cancelled his meeting and signed elsewhere-
    define "missed out"..

Because if your definition is "didn't offer a contract worth more than he thought a player was worth just because the player had a higher offer" then I guess you're correct.

Then again, you're probably just a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the giants win SB's, 4 since 1986. the jets lose afc championship games.
    Says the closet Giants fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I know this is going to sound very stupid. But what if Idzik said to CJ, "I'm going to be at LSU's pro day. Go to New York. Scope out the territory. Look for a place. Then when I come back, we can sign the contract."
    Guessing Idzik or Graves are dealing with CJs representatives. And as discussed before I'm guessing Graves can handle, not only the contract itself, but a dog and pony show at Florham Park, if needed.

As been discussed around here

NFL front offices view contracts with this question in mind: When can we get out? The answer, even for the most lucrative of contracts, is typically two years, three at most, when the guarantees fade. The Eagles and Titans needed Jackson and Johnson a couple years ago; but now the talent/need/contract equation has changed and the teams parted ways with no remaining cash obligations (though there are some potential leftover cap charges).

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/09/desean...-nfl-business/

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I know. It just seems weird that he said that he wanted to sign in the middle of this week, yet to this point he has had no reported contact with ANY of the teams, let alone the Jets.

Trying to fir the logical pieces together,
    The quieter it is....the more it favors us and Idzik....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    If Idzik is not interested in CJ2K it is becoming apparent that he is not interested in winning. The guy would take a 1 year type of deal. We would sacrifice absolutely nothing for our future. I do nt have a good feeling about us signing CJ2K. I hope I am wrong but I feel like if we were interested he would have been signed.
    You think he guarantees a winning season?

Why do people want Idzik to sign players just to sign players. He's been good, but there is no guarantee that he will ever come close to being that player again, Idzik should move carefully and shouldn't overpay, he's not essential.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You think he guarantees a winning season?

Why do people want Idzik to sign players just to sign players. He's been good, but there is no guarantee that he will ever come close to being that player again, Idzik should move carefully and shouldn't overpay, he's not essential.
    I agree with that, particularly the bolded part. But I don't think him being the CJ of 2010 is what anyone expects. My question is simply this - Would adding Chris Johnson to the RB group improve that position for the Jets? The answer IMO is absolutely, 100% yes. So, if the $ are right and this guy gets something in the $3-4M range rather than $8M range and he can be either our 1A or 1B Running Back then why not add him?

With Ivory's injury history and Powell's decent but mediocre performance since being drafted I see almost zero downside to adding CJ to this team. Also, it doesn't mean we can't draft a RB in the middle rounds....which I think we should.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If the Giants sign Chris Johnson I'm going to get nauseous. Seriously how is it possible that in the same city one NFL team is so superior and so much more effectively managed than the other? I'm so sick and tired of the New York being a Giants town with better ownership, better management and way better results on the field.

Sick of it.
    The Giants are picking 12th to the Jets 18th. They did really well last year with all that superiority. A couple 'experts' picked them to win their division, while the Jets were called a sub-NFL team lucky if they could keep up and end in last place (I guess not being eliminated from the league entirely). Stop falling for it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    well, we know he's in NY, we think the Giants aren't interested (and nobody is reporting he's visiting them), so he must be doing something, right? why not visit other teams if they were interested?

I'm with you.
    And then there were those mysterious 'personal' reasons he was in NY for

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    And then there were those mysterious 'personal' reasons he was in NY for
    Are you saying there might be a reason to visit NYC? Empire State, Broadway shows, fashion, food, shopping....

wow

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I agree with that, particularly the bolded part. But I don't think him being the CJ of 2010 is what anyone expects. My question is simply this - Would adding Chris Johnson to the RB group improve that position for the Jets? The answer IMO is absolutely, 100% yes. So, if the $ are right and this guy gets something in the $3-4M range rather than $8M range and he can be either our 1A or 1B Running Back then why not add him?

With Ivory's injury history and Powell's decent but mediocre performance since being drafted I see almost zero downside to adding CJ to this team. Also, it doesn't mean we can't draft a RB in the middle rounds....which I think we should.

Who cares of we pay him 3, 4, or even 5 million. We won't spend our whole cap now anyway. All we are doing is saving the owner money by not signing him at this point.

He undoubtedly makes the jets a much more potent and balanced offensive team. Ivory can't stay healthy and Powell is not anything special. CJ is a huge improvement for the jets and I hope we sign him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Are you saying there might be a reason to visit NYC? Empire State, Broadway shows, fashion, food, shopping....

wow
    Notwithstanding that that doesn't sound like your average NFL player's agenda (except maybe Mark Sanchez) I think he came to NY hoping he'd get a call and be instantly available to visit with either team so he could get his mid-week signing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Chris Johnson per NFL.com says he will get a team by next week, which is this week now. Wonder who will finally get him and for how much?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Perhaps he also missed out some free agents last year going to Missouri's pro day and all we ended up with was Sheldon Richardson. Stupid GM and his focusing on the draft. Why can't he be more like Al Davis or Dan Snyder and throw money at players, regardless of the cost?!?!?!?!
    Why must you go to a pro day when you can just read their 40 time?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Why must you go to a pro day when you can just read their 40 time?
    The Pro Day isn't about the "measurables" in my opinion. If height, weight, shuttle time and 40 time was all that mattered then I agree, just get a report out from the Pro Day and look at the numbers. But watching how a guy moves, getting a sense for his technique in a live setting where you can see things that the camera doesn't get....that's important. You can learn some tendencies a guy may have or validate something that you thought you saw on game film but weren't sure about. Just my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

That's exactly my point, if the money is right. There are too many here who just want a signing. We have cap room, waste it on a player so certain fans can sleep better. Makes no difference that his numbers are falling, that's he's not nearly the player they think he is. Sh1t, he was pushed out of the full workload by Shonn Green. He's not the missing piece, he's a change of pace from Ivory. If Idzik overpays there's a serious downside to the signing.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
    Chris Johnson per NFL.com says he will get a team by next week, which is this week now. Wonder who will finally get him and for how much?
    I'm sorry...but...what?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradySmugglesPickles View Post
    Says the closet Giants fan
    As in all aspects of his life, he's out of the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The Giants are picking 12th to the Jets 18th. They did really well last year with all that superiority.
    Call me when this team wins 4 Super Bowls in the span of 30 seasons. We won 1 more game last season hooray.