Page 75 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 3124

Thread: UPDATE: Chris Johnson Signed! (Merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    No, but chances of getting a hof player in round 6, is the same as finding a stud in unfa. It happens but you have a better chance of winning the powerball. The point is everyone likes to say we have 12 picks, but they are mostly crap.

Compensate picks are a joke.
    Only a fool would try and make the argument that draft picks aren't better than picking from the UDFA pool of players who can sign wherever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Since he'll never rush for 2000 yards again, Maybe he's trying to be CJ2KPosts
    Oh McKayla,even your crap jokes make me smile.....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Oh McKayla,even your crap jokes make me smile.....
    Crap jokes? What crap jokes?

All Pro
    No, but chances of getting a hof player in round 6, is the same as finding a stud in unfa. It happens but you have a better chance of winning the powerball. The point is everyone likes to say we have 12 picks, but they are mostly crap.

Have you studied this year's draft at all? Aware of its relative depth compared to the past 10 years? This may be the most arrogantly ill-informed comment I've seen on this site in some time, and that's saying something. Just plain dumb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Comp picks are basically useless. We have 12 picks this year, but who cares when 6 of them are rounds 5-7.
    You can't trade comp picks. Also just as many gems are found in udfa as there are in rounds 5-7 combined.
    We need depth and we still still have holes to fill, I don't see how you can call them useless.

Jets Insider VIP

Tannenbaum...is that you?

Each year there are around 400 players signed as UDFA, one 7th round pick, even the last one in the draft puts you at the head of this list. Also when you get to udfa the players are chosing you as much as the other way around. Draft picks, even late ones are valuable and though the odds of getting a starter are not near as high for those later picks they still have a great deal of value. Seattle and their vaunted secondary was almost entirely made out of late round picks or udfa other than earl thomas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

What part of "may" and "potential" do you and others not understand?

Do you know what the words mean?

It's info, it applies to the thread, it seems the guy who is just a fan may have a connection to the team, maybe it's true maybe it isn't, this is a message board, I put it in a thread where it belonged.

Everybody calm the hell down

The ****ing twitter police around here, sheesh.
    "It may be legit." "Seems to have potential." Based on what exactly?

"Take it for what it's worth" would have been the more appropriate reaction to an unknown fan with a "very reliable source" who has a Twitter account.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I get it just fine

I have some unknown random person on the internet telling me that what somebody else say's on twitter is a bunch of bull**** because they say so.
    No, you still don't get it. You're dense. I don't think it's BS and I don't think it has 'potential'. I haven't made a judgment because there's nothing to base one on. I'm still trying to figure out what you based yours on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tmertz View Post
    So, Tom Brady is useless? Imagine how different the last 15 years would have been if Belichick felt the same way.
    Are you related to Fred Mertz?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    How much carries over?
    I don't know precise numbers, but I'm guessing it's related to the cap floor. The "floor" is the minimum amount of the salary cap every team must use each year ... it's a percentage of the total cap, and I think it's either in the high 80s or low 90s. As for what can be carried over, it may be any remaining cap space after the floor is reached, or it may be slightly less than that. In any case, using round numbers, if the cap is approx $125M, 90 percent of that is about $110M, so there can't be more than about $15M left to carry over to the next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    No, you still don't get it. You're dense. I don't think it's BS and I don't think it has 'potential'. I haven't made a judgment because there's nothing to base one on. I'm still trying to figure out what you based yours on.
    It's called, I probably said too much and now I have to backtrack to uphold my internet reputation for always being right.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I don't know precise numbers, but I'm guessing it's related to the cap floor. The "floor" is the minimum amount of the salary cap every team must use each year ... it's a percentage of the total cap, and I think it's either in the high 80s or low 90s. As for what can be carried over, it may be any remaining cap space after the floor is reached, or it may be slightly less than that. In any case, using round numbers, if the cap is approx $125M, 90 percent of that is about $110M, so there can't be more than about $15M left to carry over to the next year.
    I already said the Browns carried over 24 mil. Here is the easily accessible information from ESPN. Google is your friend. Cap rollover is our friend

Some of you might look at the larger carryover numbers and wonder how those teams are in compliance with the NFL's minimum spending requirement. Keep in mind that the league's calculation for minimum spending comes over four-year periods, the first of which began in 2013. Teams must consume 89 percent of the NFL's total cap allotment over that period. In other words, no one is out of compliance yet.

The easiest way to think about carryover is to add it the NFL's official salary cap number. Say the 2014 cap number is $127 million per team. The Philadelphia Eagles technically were at $123 million when I grabbed these numbers late last week, a total that would put them in compliance but might not even be enough to sign their draft class. Because the Eagles are carrying over $17.2 million in space, however, their actual cap spending limit will be about $144 million. Source: ESPN's Roster Management System
    Projected carryover current cap value
    Cleveland Browns 66 $24,537,568.00 $105,310,400.00
    Jacksonville Jaguars 64 $19,645,313.00 $96,517,190.00
    Miami Dolphins 49 $18,064,000.00 $111,882,727.00
    Buffalo Bills 63 $17,801,975.00 $125,092,434.00
    Philadelphia Eagles 58 $17,169,768.00 $123,409,964.00
    Green Bay Packers 58 $9,820,459.00 $109,697,531.00
    Cincinnati Bengals 62 $8,663,480.00 $111,300,523.00
    Tennessee Titans 59 $6,953,561.00 $126,946,609.00
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 60 $6,769,781.00 $122,600,429.00
    Denver Broncos 63 $6,400,000.00 $127,230,112.00
    Carolina Panthers 57 $6,012,268.00 $123,542,554.00
    Arizona Cardinals 58 $5,750,007.00 $122,454,920.00
    New England Patriots 66 $4,106,801.00 $126,515,381.00
    Atlanta Falcons 53 $3,129,200.00 $116,987,321.00
    Seattle Seahawks 54 $2,845,004.00 $129,763,780.00
    Kansas City Chiefs 68 $2,381,518.00 $128,222,574.00
    San Diego Chargers 59 $2,319,341.00 $130,578,011.00
    Oakland Raiders 51 $2,250,000.00 $67,757,080.00
    San Francisco 49ers 64 $2,175,038.00 $121,197,319.00
    Baltimore Ravens 46 $1,531,423.00 $115,952,323.00
    Detroit Lions 52 $1,474,552.00 $132,769,422.00
    New York Jets 57 $1,473,437.00 $107,728,879.00
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 04-13-2014 at 12:37 PM.

All League
    I already said the Browns carried over 24 mil. Here is the easily accessible information from ESPN. Google is your friend. Cap rollover is our friend

Some of you might look at the larger carryover numbers and wonder how those teams are in compliance with the NFL's minimum spending requirement. Keep in mind that the league's calculation for minimum spending comes over four-year periods, the first of which began in 2013. Teams must consume 89 percent of the NFL's total cap allotment over that period. In other words, no one is out of compliance yet.

The easiest way to think about carryover is to add it the NFL's official salary cap number. Say the 2014 cap number is $127 million per team. The Philadelphia Eagles technically were at $123 million when I grabbed these numbers late last week, a total that would put them in compliance but might not even be enough to sign their draft class. Because the Eagles are carrying over $17.2 million in space, however, their actual cap spending limit will be about $144 million. Source: ESPN's Roster Management System
    Interesting info. Thanks.

So how much CAN a team carry over year to year? Is it limited?

All Pro
    The guy clearly said his information was credible. If it's on the interwebs it has to be true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nfl-salary-cap

All Pro

It's not limited except they must spend 90% of the cap over 4 years, so they could do this for 3 years, and they don't actually have to do it if they want to be cheap. We'll keep an eye on that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...automatically/

Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

http://raidersblog.com/2012/12/26/im...-cap-rollover/

My first question when I heard about the ability to rollover any unused salary cap was, “Is it compounding?” Meaning, if we rollover $5 million this year and don’t use it next year, can we roll it over again? The answer is yes.

My next question was, “Is there a limit to how much you can rollover?” No, there isn’t. A team can continuously rollover as much as it wants and build up as much of a bankroll as it pleases.

A lot of fans may have a problem with a team being cheap for the first few years of this. But being “cheap” now, will allow them to be rich later. Much richer because the savings basically grow exponentially.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 04-13-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Are you related to Fred Mertz?
    More likely, Leon Hess

It's not limited except they must spend 90% of the cap over 4 years, so they could do this for 3 years, and they don't actually have to do it if they want to be cheap. We'll keep an eye on that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...automatically/

Under Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year. The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

http://raidersblog.com/2012/12/26/im...-cap-rollover/

My first question when I heard about the ability to rollover any unused salary cap was, “Is it compounding?” Meaning, if we rollover $5 million this year and don’t use it next year, can we roll it over again? The answer is yes.

My next question was, “Is there a limit to how much you can rollover?” No, there isn’t. A team can continuously rollover as much as it wants and build up as much of a bankroll as it pleases.

A lot of fans may have a problem with a team being cheap for the first few years of this. But being “cheap” now, will allow them to be rich later. Much richer because the savings basically grow exponentially.
    +1 Great info--thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Only a fool would try and make the argument that draft picks aren't better than picking from the UDFA pool of players who can sign wherever they want.
    Don't bother. That may have been the dumbest thing ever posted on here.

And with all of those six rounders, the Jets could take a punter and take some good young special teams players.