Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Punishments: Mike Goodson

Punishments: Mike Goodson

Jets RB Mike Goodson will return to court Wednesday morning for a hearing on his two weapons charges stemming from Goodson's 2013 arrest.
    A hearing is scheduled for May 19.

Goodson was arrested two months after signing with the Jets when police found him and a buddy, both of whom "appeared intoxicated," stopped in the middle lane of Interstate 80.

During a search, police discovered a gun with hollow-point bullets in the glove compartment. Goodson allegedly told police he owned the gun, but has since retracted. Goodson was suspended for the first four games of last season for substance abuse violations.

Last year's transgression would fall under the personal conduct policy.

Source: New York Daily News
    So, let me ask for the sake of asking. Goodson was punished last year with a 4 game suspension. I'm asking strictly from the point of view of whether he'll be playing this year or not.

My questions are:

Was he punished for being arrested, or substance abuse? Or both?

Can he be punished twice for the same thing if convicted? This is assuming the first punishment is for the same thing as the supposed second. I.e. if he was punished for substance abuse, will the commissioner punish him for his conviction (on top of whatever jail time he gets...). I don't know what the original 4 games was for.

If he doesn't get convicted and pleads out to something less, is he good to go? Is he subject to more suspension?

Discuss. His situation is not cut and dry.

Hall Of Fame
    Could be wrong but as far as the conduct and drug policies go I think he already had a strike or two against him which is why he was suspended before the case even started. My guess is he could be suspended/fined again after the case is over assuming he is found guilty of something. The league policy is pretty broad.

Might end up being moot with his knee injury.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don't know ... Would guess Goodell can do whatever he wants.

All Pro
    Jets need to move on... This dude will not be in the right mindset to play football.. Add to the fact he is coming of a ACL injury.,

There's honestly no point in keeping around

Veteran
    I don't say move on, people grow, gotta give people a chance. That said I feel it depends on what monitors are on him now, but likely he will see another suspension or fine. Goodell is not one to let it slide, he likes to let people know he is boss, power hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    I don't say move on, people grow, gotta give people a chance. That said I feel it depends on what monitors are on him now, but likely he will see another suspension or fine. Goodell is not one to let it slide, he likes to let people know he is boss, power hungry.
    Agreed. I don't know if this translates to continued punishments. Basically I'm wondering if Goodson will receive another suspension/fine/whatever based on his sentence - if any. I hope the charges are dropped and there's some glimmer of innocence with the case - mainly so I can support him. We'll see what happens.

Also, I believe the Jets have handled this situation extremely well. It is a soup sandwich to say the least, and they've done as best as they could do managing it.

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    I don't know if it is power hungry or if he sees himself as some sort of glorified sheriff or something equally stupid. He definitely acted like he was coming in to clean up a league full of out of control players. Which, is funny given that last time I checked NFL arrest rates are generally lower than arrest rates for the general public.

Jets Insider VIP
    Double Jeopardy. He was already suspended 4 games so unless he does something else, he has served for this screw up.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What has impressed me or at least caught my attention is the fact that the Jets have not cut bait on this guy. I don't know if it's financial but I get the sense that the Jets like this guy and are trying to help him - and I don't mean from a football perspective. I agree that the Jets have handled this very well but I get the sense there is some compassion here and genuine effort to not abandon this guy. Maybe I'm nieve but appears to be a nuce thing. I wish Goodson the best.

All Pro

Punishments: Mike Goodson

They can cut him anytime they want since he restructured.

But my thing is this you passed on guys like desean who never had anything close to this situation . So why keep this guy around he has been nothing but career jag now add in the injury and legal issues. Idzik just needs to admit it was bad signing and move on. Running backs can be found. They could just be waiting to see who they could draft before cutting ties .

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    They can cut him anytime they want since he restructured.

But my thing is this you passed on guys like desean who never had anything close to this situation . So why keep this guy around he has been nothing but career jag now add in the injury and legal issues. Idzik just needs to admit it was bad signing and move on. Running backs can be found. They could just be waiting to see who they could draft before cutting ties .
    They're waiting to see whether the charges stick. If they do, the Jets have recourse and can recoup money against him. If they don't, he's a decent #3 back to have. Simple as that.

Moot point if the Justice System does it's job for a change. He'll be in prison, where he belongs for the crime he is accused (and guilty) of committing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What a great country. I guy passes out in his friends car and is likely to go to jail for gun possession for a guy his buddy admits was his, but another guy can organize a dog fighting/killing ring and the two are likely to spend the same time in prison. And yeah, everyone seems to think the dog killer should be given a second chance, but lets throw away a kid who stupidly got drunk and stoned and got a ride home with the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Double Jeopardy. He was already suspended 4 games so unless he does something else, he has served for this screw up.
    It's not the U.S. legal system, it's the NFL (a private entity) the can do what they want.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonmajet View Post
    What a great country. I guy passes out in his friends car and is likely to go to jail for gun possession for a guy his buddy admits was his, but another guy can organize a dog fighting/killing ring and the two are likely to spend the same time in prison. And yeah, everyone seems to think the dog killer should be given a second chance, but lets throw away a kid who stupidly got drunk and stoned and got a ride home with the wrong guy.
    You aren't this naive to believe Goodson didn't know about that gun..

How about we just cut him and not worry about it.

Knee injury, off the field issues, checkered past. He's not worth it wth his all of 4 carries as a Jet.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Moot point if the Justice System does it's job for a change. He'll be in prison, where he belongs for the crime he is accused (and guilty) of committing.
    How do you know he's guilty of what he's being accused of? If you're not being serious - my bad, but I'm missing the sarcasm.

RB is a very competitive position with a very short shelf life in most cases. I would say things have to go 100% right for Goodson for him to even make the team. Talk of the Jets going after CJ, a draft in which we have many later round picks and a lot of starting backs have come from later rounds the last few years. The guy blew his shot after Idzik showed faith in him by giving him the deal he got. If there is even one little bump court, discipline or play quality wise and he'll be down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    How do you know he's guilty of what he's being accused of? If you're not being serious - my bad, but I'm missing the sarcasm.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    You aren't this naive to believe Goodson didn't know about that gun..
    I don't know what he knew. I probably should have equated it to Plaxico and not Vick. I would guess that all of his 'buddies' knew that he had a gun. He brought it into a night club and it went off. I don't see any of them going to jail. I also believe that Goodson has a plausible excuse. If he was so stoned that he passed out, it is reasonable to assume that he was too stoned to know what his buddy was doing. Who knows, this guy maybe the biggest punk in the world, but this seems unjust. I ride in my friends cars all of the time, if they had a gun in the glove box, I wouldn't know it, and I am not normally drunk off of my a..