Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandin Cooks...the ghost of Austin past...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandin Cooks...the ghost of Austin past...

Haven't seen a lot of people make the connection, but considering how hot and heavy the jets were after Austin last year he would seem like the type of a guy they would value if he is there at 18 over say the FSU kid who has a very different skill set.

I think there is going to be a run on receivers in the middle of the first round, I wouldn't be shocked if Cooks is gone by 18 as is Lee, Evans, and Watkins....but i think this guy is the pick if he is there (over say OBJ and KB).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a good thing to be Austin version 2? He had a rouhg 1st year though he did show his big play potential. I'll be happy enough with him or Beckham or Lee. I have all of them above Benajmin who seems rather risky to me.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind Cooks or OBJ at 18. Hopefully we dont take KB at 18.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Haven't seen a lot of people make the connection, but considering how hot and heavy the jets were after Austin last year he would seem like the type of a guy they would value if he is there at 18 over say the FSU kid who has a very different skill set.

I think there is going to be a run on receivers in the middle of the first round, I wouldn't be shocked if Cooks is gone by 18 as is Lee, Evans, and Watkins....but i think this guy is the pick if he is there (over say OBJ and KB).
    If you haven't seen the connection mentioned, then you haven't spend much time in the draft forum.

I've been vocal about my feelings with taking Cooks at #18. He projects to be productive, and a (possibly) great complimentary WR. I saw nothing in his tape that suggests he's going to take the top off a defense, or even take over a game. Why am i dwelling on this again? Cause I feel like people forget we're talking about our 1st round pick. number 18 overall!! In a draft that features all kinds of talent, particularly at WR, he's certainly not the 18th best player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Is it a good thing to be Austin version 2? He had a rouhg 1st year though he did show his big play potential. I'll be happy enough with him or Beckham or Lee. I have all of them above Benajmin who seems rather risky to me.
    IMO Cooks is a better prospect than Austin. Austin kind of shot up boards late in the process. Cooks too obviously, but not as much. Austin as a top-10 pick was disappointing in year one. would he have been as disappointing if he was picked between 18-25? probably not. you know it's a bad WR draft when the top player is Austin. Cooks is better but trapped behind some serious talent that would have all been top-5 last year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    If you haven't seen the connection mentioned, then you haven't spend much time in the draft forum.

I've been vocal about my feelings with taking Cooks at #18. He projects to be productive, and a (possibly) great complimentary WR. I saw nothing in his tape that suggests he's going to take the top off a defense, or even take over a game. Why am i dwelling on this again? Cause I feel like people forget we're talking about our 1st round pick. number 18 overall!! In a draft that features all kinds of talent, particularly at WR, he's certainly not the 18th best player.
    do you think Lee is worth the #18 pick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

I agree, I would have a tough time taking Cooks over Lee or OBJ at 18. Taking a 5'9" WR that high is a tough sell for me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    IMO Cooks is a better prospect than Austin. Austin kind of shot up boards late in the process. Cooks too obviously, but not as much. Austin as a top-10 pick was disappointing in year one. would he have been as disappointing if he was picked between 18-25? probably not. you know it's a bad WR draft when the top player is Austin. Cooks is better but trapped behind some serious talent that would have all been top-5 last year
    Tavon Austin's Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback last season were called Brian Schittenheimer and Kellen Clunkers. I think he deserves a pass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i looked at some highlights and Cooks looks like a slighly more physical version of Austin, but highlights are highlihgts...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Tavon Austin's Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback last season were called Brian Schittenheimer and Kellen Clunkers. I think he deserves a pass.
    i'm not hating on Austin. i just think Cooks is a better version of him. i was a proponent of selecting Austin last year with the 13th pick and i'm thankful we didn't get the chance. i think he would have been the 5th or 6th receiver taken this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    i'm not hating on Austin. i just think Cooks is a better version of him. i was a proponent of selecting Austin last year with the 13th pick and i'm thankful we didn't get the chance. i think he would have been the 5th or 6th receiver taken this year
    I agree about Cooks possibly being a better prospect than Austin. I'm not a big believer in combine numbers but the types of events Cooks has excelled in correlate directly with the skill set he is going to bring in the pros. Couple that with the fact that both Geno and Vick's biggest strength as QBs is the play action downfield throw and I'm liking Cooks or BPA defensive player at 18.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    another angle is that geno had much success working with austin at WV, and maybe they'd like to bring in a slightly larger clone. 'at the end of the day', i'd be surprised if the jets don't take one of beckham, cooks or lee, as the need clearly meets value at 18, and they took 2 defensive guys in the first round last year. the one guy who the jets seem real interested in is amaro, though i doubt they take him at 18. it would be interesting if idzik tries to move up in the 2nd if amaro is on the board after 5 or so picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't be mad if Cooks was the pick...I don't think he"s quite got the Barry Sanders-esque jitterbug in him that Austin showed at West Virginia but still plenty elusive and probably a better actual receiver...last year it was obvious to me that the best WR at WVU was Stedman Bailey,I think Cooks is closer to Bailey in that regard but still close enough to Austin as an explosive playmaker.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    another angle is that geno had much success working with austin at WV, and maybe they'd like to bring in a slightly larger clone. 'at the end of the day', i'd be surprised if the jets don't take one of beckham, cooks or lee, as the need clearly meets value at 18, and they took 2 defensive guys in the first round last year. the one guy who the jets seem real interested in is amaro, though i doubt they take him at 18. it would be interesting if idzik tries to move up in the 2nd if amaro is on the board after 5 or so picks.
    I was thinking the same thing. Heard we were really high on Amaro but I just couldn't believe he was a true option at 18. Maybe we send one of the 4ths to move up in the 2nd. It would be one heck of a coup if we ended up with Cooks and Amaro.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Heard we were really high on Amaro but I just couldn't believe he was a true option at 18. Maybe we send one of the 4ths to move up in the 2nd. It would be one heck of a coup if we ended up with Cooks and Amaro.
    that's an ideal scenario for me. if the jets really want amaro, though, i think it's riskier to wait until the 2nd round. if their goal is to get amaro, i'd think idzik would consider trading back in the first, getting amaro, then trading up in the 2nd for a wr.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I can see cooks explosiveness being able to take the top off a defense, I think OBJ is almost as explosive with better height and better overall ability as a WR.

OBJ can be our punt returner and 3rd WR from day 1 with the opportunity to be an excellent complementary player to decker going forward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Him and Austin really aren't similar aside from physical numbers. Cooks plays much more like Steve Smith.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One major reason why the Jets wanted Austin was because of his connection/chemistry with Geno. Jets were supposedly targeting both players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think they play anything alike. Cooks is more like Victor Cruz

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31 2m

#Jets are bringing in Odell Beckham Jr. for a pre-draft visit. #nyj