Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandin Cooks...the ghost of Austin past...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31 2m

#Jets are bringing in Odell Beckham Jr. for a pre-draft visit. #nyj
    If I'm Idzik I take him at 18 with a big grin on my face....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although they're both small and fast receivers, they don't seem like the same type of players from what I seen

Austin was the more explosive playmaker type. They lined him every in college. And he seems a bit more sshifty

Cooks seems to be a more defined WR. He seems to have better hands and is the better route runner, but doesn't seem to have the athleticism of Austin

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31 2m

#Jets are bringing in Odell Beckham Jr. for a pre-draft visit. #nyj
    I don't know if I should be saying YES! YES!! YES!!!

or NO! NO!! NO!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    If I'm Idzik I take him at 18 with a big grin on my face....
    I still think you have to go with Lee if they're both on the board at 18. Lee is responsible for just too many big plays. He's a natural and my gut tells me he's going to be a legit difference maker.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I still think you have to go with Lee if they're both on the board at 18. Lee is responsible for just too many big plays. He's a natural and my gut tells me he's going to be a legit difference maker.
    My gut tells me Lee will be good too because he's such a great kid and a hard worker. However, I think Cooks would have more big plays if his QB wasn't ass cheeks. Cooks is everything Austin wishes is was, and I have no doubt he'd be able to beat defenses deep with a competent QB. I usually hate smaller receivers too.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    My gut tells me Lee will be good too because he's such a great kid and a hard worker. However, I think Cooks would have more big plays if his QB wasn't ass cheeks. Cooks is everything Austin wishes is was, and I have no doubt he'd be able to beat defenses deep with a competent QB. I usually hate smaller receivers too.
    Cooks at 18 and Davante in the second I think would make us quite happy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Cooks at 18 and Davante in the second I think would make us quite happy
    I would do ****ing back flips if that happened.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    do you think Lee is worth the #18 pick?
    Hell Yeah

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    After watching tapes on both Cooks and Beckham, I have to say I like Beckham just a tad bit more. He seems to have better hands and just more agility on the field. I know Cooks set the combine ablaze with his agility stats, but just on tape, he doesn't seem to be someone that jukes players out of their shoes, but rather a straight line burner. I think Beckham and the ability to make guys miss translates better to the NFL than straight line speed guys. The hard part is evaluating the systems in which they play, because Cooks has way more targets and catches, while Beckham plays in a more run control offense. However, this also helps him get one on one matchups because whoever is playing LSU has to defend the run first, gives him more space to work with, but also playing against SEC defenses.

I have a feeling we're skipping WR in the first round. It's too deep for us to invest in WR most likely in Idzik's eyes, I think we go WR in the second and one of our 4th round picks, and go BPA at 18 and our 3rd pick. While I would love to have Beckham or Cooks on this team, I'm not sure the difference between having Beckham/Cooks and a 2nd rd LB/S/CB vs a 1st rd LB/S/CB and say Mathews/Moncrief is worth passing on the best player available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I heard this on the draft insider podcast but it could have been another podcast. Austin supposedly had tons of trouble grasping an nfl play book. Morris Claiborne is also having that same issue. Brandin cooks comes straight from a pro style offense in college and that shouldn't be a problem

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul Richardson is who some of you guys want Cooks to be. And he can be had in the 2nd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL was watching a few highlights of Cooks and was like "My God this QB stinks". Luckily Geno and Vick have a strong arm so Cooks could be a killer as a deep threat....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul Richardson is who some of you guys want Cooks to be. And he can be had in the 2nd.
    Here…. Watch them back-to-back. Is it worth waiting until later?

http://rotobahn.com/scouting-report-...oregon-state-/

http://rotobahn.com/scouting-report-...n-wr-colorado/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Zeppelin View Post

I dunno about rotobahn... but the comparisons are there to be made. Only, Richardson actually is a home run hitter. It's a clear as day when you watch the two together - regardless of QB play. I see Cooks playing far far more like Wes Welker, than DeSean or Tavon

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno about rotobahn... but the comparisons are there to be made. Only, Richardson actually is a home run hitter. It's a clear as day when you watch the two together - regardless of QB play. I see Cooks playing far far more like Wes Welker, than DeSean or Tavon
    He's so much more athletic than Welker. Long speed plus the ability to go up and get the ball make him different from Welker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Zeppelin View Post
    He's so much more athletic than Welker. Long speed plus the ability to go up and get the ball make him different from Welker.
    Clearly he's more athletic. I don't see a split end. Flanker... Maybe. There are a lot of assumptions being made about he WOULD look like with an NFL quarterback, but that's all they are right now are assumptions. Thus far I see what I see. Richardson has displayed a home run ability consistently. Cooks, a lot of production from Welker-esque receptions while working the field. If I'm a GM I pass on Cooks and get my value out of Richardson in round two.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson is going to have a hard time beating the press. He's 14 pounds lighter than Cooks and 3 inches taller. Richardson is like a smaller Justin Hunter who I liked but is pretty frail himself.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly he's more athletic. I don't see a split end. Flanker... Maybe. There are a lot of assumptions being made about he WOULD look like with an NFL quarterback, but that's all they are right now are assumptions. Thus far I see what I see. Richardson has displayed a home run ability consistently. Cooks, a lot of production from Welker-esque receptions while working the field. If I'm a GM I pass on Cooks and get my value out of Richardson in round two.
    If you watch Cooks tape on EVERY deep pass he catches, the ball is underthrown. Every pass. If he had a competent QB you would be seeing those huge long bombs going for TD's.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson is going to have a hard time beating the press. He's 14 pounds lighter than Cooks and 3 inches taller. Richardson is like a smaller Justin Hunter who I liked but is pretty frail himself.
    He plays much harder than Hunter and runs better routes, but the jam is potentially an issue. He'll have to di it the same way guys like Hilton and DeSean do it. Quickness.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My nephew wants to become a coach and is a graduate assistant on the Beavers football team (which basically means he helps the coaches full time and doesn't get paid). Anyway I shot him a text about Cooks and this is his reply. Hope y'all appreciate it cause it cost me $500.

Hey talk of my Jets taking Cooks at 18. He the real deal?

Dude is the man! You guys would LOVE him. Dead serious about football. Great football IQ and is a straight baller. Every NFL scout that interviewed him said he was the best interview out of any guy they interviewed throughout the combine process. Also, I had a really bad March Madness. Any way you could lend me $500? I'm afraid to ask Dad.