Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider - Jets can contend for AFC East

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I keep seeing this and I keep responding with the stat I posted earlier in this thread. 12 passing tds of 33 yards or longer with ones of 72,61,77. These have nothing at all to do with going 3 and out. The Jets defense in that regard was very disappointing last year.
    I count 11 of 30 or more. the breakdown by quarter is 2/2/5/2. Oddly enough, the Jets were 5-5 in games when they allowed a 30+ yard TD (2 against Bills in 2nd meeting), and 3 of the TDs were thrown when the Jets were down by 2 TDs or more late in the game. I'm guessing that's fairly uncommon for teams.

What an idiotic article. Vick is NOT going to be the Jets starter barring a Geno injury.

I keep seeing this and I keep responding with the stat I posted earlier in this thread. 12 passing tds of 33 yards or longer with ones of 72,61,77. These have nothing at all to do with going 3 and out. The Jets defense in that regard was very disappointing last year.
    They sure do. How many of those happened at the beginning of the game? When the defense is on the field for 75% of the snaps in the first half, it's no surprise they'll give up big plays.

The stats I quoted in this thread about the number of long tds we gave up last year attest to the fact that we do not just win or lose due to Qb play. The defense does not create near enough turnovers and last year gave up the big play a lot.
    I think you are missing the point of the article. If Rex holds true to form, last year's defects will be cured and the D will be better. It's the year to year consistency in Rex's performance that is impressive.

Of course, this would be easier to believe had Idzik signed a top FA DB--but we didn't. Still a long way to go, but it makes you nervous.

What I like about the article is that the Jets don't have to be great on O to succeed. Average play from Geno and/or Vick gets us there.

Next step is the draft and a hope we fill some holes.

Ryan's defenses are statistically impressive, but not actually as good as the statistics suggest because they do not product turnovers and tend to be soft against 4 minute and 2 minute offenses.

All League
    I usually don't argue when Jets fans talk about firing Rex, etc cause its an opinion.

But read this article. It's based on FACTS. Any Jets fan that wants Rex fired still really has limited football and/or common knowledge of the game. For what he's had to work with, he's got more out of these players than 90% of the HCs in the NFL could of.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

In close games? Welcome to Goodell's NFL. If the Jets fired Rex last year he would have been the coach of Detroit or Houston. The Jets have the ability to take the next step. Obviously you still live with your parents if you believe Rex is the issue. Live with Coslett, Carroll, Groh, kotite, Herm--then speak with issue

Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    They sure do. How many of those happened at the beginning of the game? When the defense is on the field for 75% of the snaps in the first half, it's no surprise they'll give up big plays.
    Again, the break down is 2/2/5/2. The Jets were 5-5 in games when they gave up a 30+ yard TD pass.
    Of the games where they gave up long TDs:

Play breakdown before long TD (2nd Half TDs only)
    Vs Titans: Titans 60, Jets 48
    Vs Ravens: Ravens 52, Jets 40
    Vs Steelers: Steelers 41, Jets 36
    Vs Raiders: Raiders 41, Jets 42
    Vs Bills: Bills 53 Jets 36
    Vs Bills (Game 1): Bills 59, Jets 60
    Vs Dolphins: Dolphins 57, Jets 25

Hmm. I was skeptical, but there may be more to this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    pains me to say it, but the Patriots will likely have the best defense in the AFC East this year, as well as the best offense.
    Maybe not statistically the best defense because the Patriots play from ahead so much. But with Revis, Browner, and McCourty holding down man coverage in the secondary and Wilfork and Mayo leading the front 7 with more blitzing than in years past, they will be tough to beat.
    That may not be an issue.

Veteran
    Wilfork is done. mayo is damaged goods. Pats are more vulnerable than they have ever been.
    Opportunity is knocking....

Jets will absolutely contend for the division, especially if they draft well. The defense will be good (as always) and the offense should be better. They went 8-8 with a lot less than they'll have going into next season. As long as Geno takes care of his turnover issue, the Jets will be more than fine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    What an idiotic article. Vick is NOT going to be the Jets starter barring a Geno injury.
    Why is the article idiotic? If Geno starts and increases his performance to slightly above league average it shows that the Jets will be a playoff team and a tough out with Rex's defensive prowess. If Vick starts and performs as he has, we still have a reason to be optimistic. The only way we won't be competitive is if we start Geno, he stuggles, and we don't switch to Vick.

WOW..

When ESPN is saying Jets can contend for AFCE, Cheating Bill and the Pasts* must REALLY be in some deep shlt!

This could very well be Brady's last year. All it will take is one hit. I hope it's our Jets that give him his final sack.

Well we're never going to have a great offense that's above league average if we keep drafting defensive players. I agree with Kiper draft 2 wr or wr/te in 1st two rounds and then find some gems 3-5 @olb or CB.

I agree with the article Rex can still keep the D playing well and can do some more things if they're playing with a lead. Can't get leads without a good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Nonsense, if a defense is tired and has been on the field too long they give up long drives, not getting toasted for 60 yard plays.

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    I think you are missing the point of the article. If Rex holds true to form, last year's defects will be cured and the D will be better. It's the year to year consistency in Rex's performance that is impressive.

Of course, this would be easier to believe had Idzik signed a top FA DB--but we didn't. Still a long way to go, but it makes you nervous.

What I like about the article is that the Jets don't have to be great on O to succeed. Average play from Geno and/or Vick gets us there.

Next step is the draft and a hope we fill some holes.
    I'm not as confident because even though we have a very good defense we don't have an elite one because of the reasons I have listed previously, not enough pressure from the olbs and we create no where near enough turnovers. The defense also has had a disturbing habit of not coming up big at the end of games. Hey, I'm not trying to dump on rex and we have some great defensive players and a good scheme but this defense is good not great.

If our Jets win the division I'll think (key word) about having sex in the daytime..

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet View Post
    If our Jets win the division I'll think (key word) about having sex in the daytime..
    Uhhh, WUT??

:veryconfused:

Great article, makes you simultaneously appreciate Rex and appreciate the justified scars we have as fans whenever we think about our offense taking the field.

Think about that...other teams' fans get excited when their offense goes out there. Something good usually happens! I honestly DREAD the Jets getting the ball anywhere inside their own 50. I have since the early 90's, with the exception of 1998. What way to live a fans' life is this?

Give us decent QB play and we are a playoff menace. Give us above average QB play and we are Super Bowl champions. The Jets are a model franchise, that for decades now models everything but having even a LEAGUE AVERAGE quarterback. Give us anything back there and we would have been a dynasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonsense, if a defense is tired and has been on the field too long they give up long drives, not getting toasted for 60 yard plays.
    Says who? A defense gives up plays when it's tired, big or small.