Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 draft: WR notes, and tidbits....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

2014 draft: WR notes, and tidbits....

Since 3/4 of topics in this forum always seem to circle some WR or collection of WRs and their perceived value - I'm starting a thread where I'll post the news bits I come across. I frequent a lot of sites and gossip stations, so I'll post things as i read them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From earlier:

Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - Tigers
    LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. will visit the Bills and Jets next week, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
    The Jets at No. 18 should be Beckham Jr.'s floor. He is not often discussed with Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans, but we believe it is in the realm of possibility that Beckham Jr. could end up as the top receiver prospect from this class. His vertical game is outstanding, has the skills to win in the short to intermediate areas, and wins in contested situations despite a 5'11/195 lbs frame.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can confirm that the Jets were NOT one of these two teams?

Marqise Lee - WR - Trojans
    USC WR Marqise Lee told Pro Football Talk he has visits scheduled with the Panthers and Saints.
    Lee has also had private workouts with two teams, but declined to mention them by name. The Trojan receiver had a down 2013 in terms of consistency, dropping over 12 percent of his catchable targets, but he still is fluid in his breaks and wins in the short to intermediate levels of the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Cooks is in;

Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers
    Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks told the NFL Network he has four visits or workouts scheduled in the next few weeks.
    Cooks specifically said his interaction with the Jets will be in the form of a visit, but the Panthers, Patriots and Seahawks could be a generic campus workout. The receiver likely has more teams scheduled than these four, but it is a good start. He has a chance to be the fourth receiver off the board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Henry - my boiii!

Martavis Bryant - WR - Tigers
    The Dolphins invited Clemson WR Martavis Bryant to visit team headquarters for a pre-draft visit.
    No word yet on if the invitation has been accepted or when the meeting would take place. Bryant is a strict vertical weapon with imposing measurements at 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds with forty times in the mid 4.3s. He's been compared to Justin Hunter and the late Chris Henry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    More on Lee

Marqise Lee - WR - Trojans
    ESPN's Todd McShay believes USC WR Marqise Lee is "going to fall a little bit" in May's draft.
    "I think at worst he's the fifth wide receiver taken," McShay said. "I know there are a lot of guys that still think he's the third best receiver." The analyst said Lee is difficult to evaluate because, while healthy in 2012, he was "one of the most explosive players in college football." McShay had Lee rated as a top 10 prospect entering 2013, but then the wideout dropped 12.3% of the balls thrown to him, a bizarre stat after he caught everything in his vicinity in 2012. "It makes it very difficult to know who he is," McShay said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cody's warming up:

Cody Latimer - WR - Hoosiers
    Indiana WR Cody Latimer has seven team visits scheduled for the next few weeks.
    Per NFL.com's Gil Brandt, Latimer will visit the Bills and Eagles on Monday, the Lions on Friday, the Raiders on April 14, the Seahawks and Chargers the following two days and the Panthers on April 24. Expect Latimer to also hold a workout for other teams after fully healed form a foot injury. The large target has a strong chance to be selected in the top-40.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    K. Benjamin at the eagles:

Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Seminoles
    FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin, Oklahoma CB Aaron Colvin and Montana LB Jordan Tripp all visited with the Eagles on Monday.
    At 6-foot-5, 240-pounds, Chip Kelly could have all sorts of fun scheming Benjamin into areas of the field where his athletic ability could gobble up chunks of yards at a time. Keep in mind, though, that Benjamin had lapses on easy catches last year and half his receptions were made 11-plus yards down the field. Colvin can be had at a discount (likely a third-day selection) because he tore his ACL during Senior Bowl week. Many mentioned Colvin as a top-40 possibility prior to the injury. Tripp could go as high as the third round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must have something on Richardson.....you've been pumping him up only recently.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    You must have something on Richardson.....you've been pumping him up only recently.
    This was all stuff from the weekend. Nothing much on RichyRich since a week or two ago. Lots of beat writers and pundits talking - but nothin' on tha wire.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever is Cody Lattimore's agent deserves a raise. Basically a 5th round pick 10 days ago and I saw someone mention him in the second now.

I like the kid from the standpoint that he blocks very well, plays special teams (covered kicks at indiana), has good size/speed. But putting him in the second round is nuts.

I think we are all going to be SHOCKED, at some of the players available in the 4th round of this draft. Really is a great year to have 6 top 137 picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Jordan Tripp is our 3rd round pick!
    1- Cooks or Beckham
    2- Roby
    3- Jordan Tripp
    4- Troy Niklas (pipe dream but stranger things have happened in drafts)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Want Beckham or Cooks at 18 (In that order.)
    Don't want Benjamin at 18
    Would close my eyes and wince a bit at Lee but would accept the opinions of the front office and those on this site that love the guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could Marquis Lee be this years Keenan Allen?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Could Marquis Lee be this years Keenan Allen?
    I doubt it. I can't see him getting past Philly. Chip Kelly loves his Pac12 guys and knows Lee really well from his days at Oregon.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
    WR Allen Robinson having big day at #PennState pro day. 42 VJ, 11 BJ, sub-4.5 40. Stock will be up after today. #NFLDraft

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I'm leaning towards Benjamin. He might not be the 'best' receiver from last year but his potential is through the roof.

Refining his technique while working on his agility/speed will make him nearly uncoverable. Things that are doable.

In the meantime he will be a great red-zone target while he grows into a beastly #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
    WR Allen Robinson having big day at #PennState pro day. 42 VJ, 11 BJ, sub-4.5 40. Stock will be up after today. #NFLDraft
    Whoa gaudy numbers there, 42 vertical with an already big body. Guys like him and Matthews have been a bit quite amongst a lot of the Wr discussion. These pro days always bring guys back into the spot light.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Whoa gaudy numbers there, 42 vertical with an already big body. Guys like him and Matthews have been a bit quite amongst a lot of the Wr discussion. These pro days always bring guys back into the spot light.
    Agreed, he is 6'3" 220, those numbers are big improvements from his combine where he ran 4.6 and 39" vert.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm liking that cat from ND.. He'll be there in the 4th round where we have 3 picks..

T.J. Jones. Adequate size (6'0 190lbs) and good speed (4.48/40). Runs phenomenal routes. Great hands. Elusive after the catch. High IQ and good character.

Sounds like marquise lee... minus all the hype and 1st round pick.