Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demario Davis

Veteran

Demario Davis

I couldn't get a rise out of anyone in the Coples thread which seems fair.
    But, I think Davis is big time overrated and don't understand what he has done to deserve all the hype. Seems like he walked in anointed as the new leader and as far as I can tell his play hasn't measured up. With Harris on the decline I see this as an even bigger problem than the Safety position. Our defensive schemes rely on strong ILB play and we have a big risk here. Also, we have no legitimate backup for either guy.
    Nobody mentions this as a position of need. I would love to see us pick up a cheap FA backer and then draft a kid in the middle rounds. If CJ Mosley is still around I would also consider taking him in the first round.

Hall Of Fame
    Played well at the beginning of the year last year. Very well actually but then he tailed off. Year 3 is a big year for him. I think he will be fine. He has great athleticism and character.

I think he was good in his first year as a starter and will only get better. Has good range. He's a junkyard dog personality, perfect for Rex's D.
    Without him, we don't win the week 1 game vs. Tampa with his touchdown-saving tackle on the last defensive possession.

Oh yeah, did I mention we had the best run defense in football last year? He pass coverage needs to improve a little, and I think it will with more experience. But overall I can't complain. He will be fine.

Fast, good tackler, good size. Needs to continue to improve his positioning as plays develop so he's not taken out of the play by a second level blocker. I don't think he's a "weak link" by any stretch, he seems like an adequate starter with a chance to keep improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Where do these assumptions come from?

No one is calling him Ray Lewis. What hype?

He is an adequate inside linebacker with room to grow. Who is saying otherwise?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How is he "big time overrated"? He's described as fast, which he is. Young, which he is. Gritty, hard ass player, which he is. Is a leader, which according to all says he is. That he should improve, which says no one is over the top in evaluating him.

Now tell me where any of this screams "big time overrated" to anyone other than the OP and SOJFs?

The guy came from Arkansas State and was a decent starter in his second season.

How about we give him 3 seasons until we annoint him a star or a bust.

All League
    Who was "hyping" him??? Davis was a first time starter and had a solid year. The team was
    excellent in stopping the run and in a 3-4 defense a lot of that credit goes to the NT (Harrison) and the
    two ILB's (Harris & Davis). Let's see how he develops after gaining one year of starting experience

What hype? He's a decent player, good value for a late 3rd round pick. You know they can't all be HOF superstars, right? He's solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    But, I think Davis is big time overrated and don't understand what he has done to deserve all the hype. Seems like he walked in anointed as the new leader and as far as I can tell his play hasn't measured up. With Harris on the decline I see this as an even bigger problem than the Safety position. Our defensive schemes rely on strong ILB play and we have a big risk here. Also, we have no legitimate backup for either guy.
    Nobody mentions this as a position of need. I would love to see us pick up a cheap FA backer and then draft a kid in the middle rounds. If CJ Mosley is still around I would also consider taking him in the first round.
    If the Jets draft CJ Mosely, hate to break it to you but that spells the end of David Harris, not Demario Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    If the Jets draft CJ Mosely, hate to break it to you but that spells the end of David Harris, not Demario Davis.
    this

Veteran
    Glad to see you all rush to his defense. When a 2nd year player is compared to Ray Lewis I call that hype and over the top. Compared to Coples this guy can do no wrong. Year 3 is big for both of them. Hope they both step up.

Glad to see you all rush to his defense. When a 2nd year player is compared to Ray Lewis I call that hype and over the top. Compared to Coples this guy can do no wrong. Year 3 is big for both of them. Hope they both step up.
    Only retards compared him to Ray Lewis and only retards took that comparison seriously.

All League
    The thing that is very interesting/hopeful about the Jet defense is the amount of first time starters
    we had last year and the potential for them to be drastically better in 2014:

Harrison
    Richardson
    Davis
    Coples
    Allen
    Milliner

Add in the natural progression of the "vet" Wilkerson and we could be scary

Davis is JAG.

Offensive line, tight end and the secondary are bigger concerns but upgrading Davis would help our defense greatly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Davis is JAG.

Offensive line, tight end and the secondary are bigger concerns but upgrading Davis would help our defense greatly.
    Sometimes being an average guy is OK. You can not have All-Pros or first round picks at every position. He was a 3rd round pick who became a full time starter in his second year.

All Pro
    I like Davis - he's a Jesus freak that was twittering against gays from a Christian standpoint and unfortunately that's colored my view of his "leadership"

He's a decent player with athletic upside who will only improve

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sometimes being an average guy is OK. You can not have All-Pros or first round picks at every position. He was a 3rd round pick who became a full time starter in his second year.
    Agreed but if a nice ILB falls to us at some point in the draft we would be foolish to pass him up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Agreed but if a nice ILB falls to us at some point in the draft we would be foolish to pass him up.
    Perhaps, but this is an incredibly weak draft for ILBs.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed. Funny, David Harris didn't play well because of Bart Scott. Now Demario Davis doesn't look good to fans playing next David Harris. There is a common denominator in both of those sentences. David Harris. Guy is/was a tackling machine. Thats it.