Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Demario Davis

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    Glad to see you all rush to his defense. When a 2nd year player is compared to Ray Lewis I call that hype and over the top. Compared to Coples this guy can do no wrong. Year 3 is big for both of them. Hope they both step up.
    Who is calling him Ray Lewis?

Troll better

Glad to see you all rush to his defense. When a 2nd year player is compared to Ray Lewis I call that hype and over the top. Compared to Coples this guy can do no wrong. Year 3 is big for both of them. Hope they both step up.
    Whoever compared him to one of the greatest MLB to ever play is absurd. I am hoping he becomes a Navarro Bowman type.

In total agreement with OP. Davis was mediocre against the run last season and a liability in coverage. Dude couldn't cover a runningback out of the backfield if his life depended on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Sometimes being an average guy is OK. You can not have All-Pros or first round picks at every position. He was a 3rd round pick who became a full time starter in his second year.
    So he a guy who came out of a small school was an average player in his first year starting. And these fools don't think realize that he'll most likely keep improving?

Lol @ you guys taking the bait when the OP starts off by saying this thread's sole purpose is to get a rise out of people.

Tapping while talking

Looking forward to watching Davis this year. Maybe he's a JAG, maybe he's a lot better.

He held his own last year, first as a starter. Let's see what year 2 brings.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Perhaps, but this is an incredibly weak draft for ILBs.
    +1

Personally, I don't even view Mosley as some kind of "elite" prospect that a lot of people are making him out to be. I think he's a good player, but I'm not buying the NaVorro Bowman comparisons that are being thrown around.

If we want to take a guy like Zumwalt, Fortt, Bullough or Pierre-Louis in the later rounds, then that's fine.

But I wouldn't take an ILB before the 5th round.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-09-2014 at 12:27 PM.

He needs to hit the weight room to improve his strength. he has a difficult time fighting off blocks. When he's able to use his speed to sidestep blocks, he;s very good. Still needs to improve reading what offense's are doing. Sometimes he out of position, because he didn't read the play correctly.

Our front 7 was pretty dominant last season and you want to complain about a ILB? We were a good secondary away from having an elite defense last season. I would take a ILB in the draft, but not early and more as depth and to develop as a potential replacement for Harris who should only be here for 1 more season.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Who was "hyping" him??? Davis was a first time starter and had a solid year. The team was
    excellent in stopping the run and in a 3-4 defense a lot of that credit goes to the NT (Harrison) and the
    two ILB's (Harris & Davis). Let's see how he develops after gaining one year of starting experience
    Typical JI, if he's not a bust he's overhyped

Hall Of Fame
    Harris is not terrible. He is just terribly priced.

I couldn't get a rise out of anyone in the Coples thread which seems fair.
    But, I think Davis is big time overrated and don't understand what he has done to deserve all the hype. Seems like he walked in anointed as the new leader and as far as I can tell his play hasn't measured up. With Harris on the decline I see this as an even bigger problem than the Safety position. Our defensive schemes rely on strong ILB play and we have a big risk here. Also, we have no legitimate backup for either guy.
    Nobody mentions this as a position of need. I would love to see us pick up a cheap FA backer and then draft a kid in the middle rounds. If CJ Mosley is still around I would also consider taking him in the first round.
    no offense but all defensive schemes rely on strong ilb play

All League
    Dude tackled VJax to save the game against the Bucs last year, that was a pretty good play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Where do these assumptions come from?

No one is calling him Ray Lewis. What hype?

He is an adequate inside linebacker with room to grow. Who is saying otherwise?
    +1 I never read anyone hyping him at all, we were all wondering when he will emerge.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    +1 I never read anyone hyping him at all, we were all wondering when he will emerge.
    Brett Favre apparently emerged via twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    What hype? He's a decent player, good value for a late 3rd round pick. You know they can't all be HOF superstars, right? He's solid.
    Agreed. Just needs to get adequate rest between series. Wears down like the reat of the D does. Not good for a speed player

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Dude tackled VJax to save the game against the Bucs last year, that was a pretty good play.
    Thought I was going to get through the whole thread without someone saying this - what a big-time play that was from an ILB.

Sec said it best, you can't have all-pros at every position. Davis isn't killing the team out there the way Scott was, let's let him grow for another couple of seasons. If he does, great. If he doesn't, he's an easy re-sign as a hold-the-fort guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sometimes being an average guy is OK. You can not have All-Pros or first round picks at every position. He was a 3rd round pick who became a full time starter in his second year.
    Exactly. It's this baseball logic, where you want the best player at every position. It doesn't work that way in football, you have to have your stars at certain positions and supplement that with a strong supporting cast. Only fools look at every position and compare each player to the leagues best at their position.

Veteran
    Rex compared his leadership ability and personality to Ray lewis. No one is over hyping DD, he's an adequate starter but one that wouldn't kill us if we had to replace. If you want to talk about big time over hyped players on the Jets Snacks fits that bill WAY more than DD.

Jets Insider VIP
    I couldn't get a rise out of anyone in the Coples thread which seems fair.
    But, I think Davis is big time overrated and don't understand what he has done to deserve all the hype. Seems like he walked in anointed as the new leader and as far as I can tell his play hasn't measured up. With Harris on the decline I see this as an even bigger problem than the Safety position. Our defensive schemes rely on strong ILB play and we have a big risk here. Also, we have no legitimate backup for either guy.
    Nobody mentions this as a position of need. I would love to see us pick up a cheap FA backer and then draft a kid in the middle rounds. If CJ Mosley is still around I would also consider taking him in the first round.
    Good idea to start this discussion in a separate thread.

I agree with DDNYjets....Year 3 is big for him and I think he has the physical and mental makeup to succeed at ILB.