Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Demario Davis

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Who is calling him Ray Lewis?

Troll better
    To be fair, Rex did make a comparison between Davis and Ray Lewis. He qualified it somewhat but he definitely talked about the similarities of the two.

From May 2012...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-demario-davis

Weeks before selecting Demario Davis in the third round of April's NFL draft, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan saw a hint of a future Hall of Famer in the unheralded prospect from Arkansas State.

"Wow. ... This is amazing. He reminds me of Ray (Lewis)," Ryan said, according to The Star-Ledger, after meeting with Davis and general manager Mike Tannenbaum at the Jets' team facility.

Ryan, who coached Lewis for four years in Baltimore, made his comparison public after the Jets' first rookie minicamp this weekend. He made it clear he wasn't equating Davis with the Ravens' All-Pro linebacker, but he said Davis' passion, mannerisms and how he looked him in the eyes made it seem as though it was Lewis who was in the room with him.

Ryan told reporters that Davis (6-feet-2, 239 pounds) will be expected to be a "major contributor" and at first should see time on sub packages on a defense that showed signs of aging last season. But Davis' on-the-field abilities weren't the only reason the Jets drafted him, as Ryan sees a Lewis-like leadership quality in the rookie.

"As a coach, you try to cultivate the environment, no question about it," Ryan said. "But when you really have it is when your players take it. I think he's going to be one of those guys, fit right in with David Harris, and Sione (Pouha) and Mike DeVito. This is their football team."

Ryan added: "Like Tom Brady in New England. Tom Brady runs that team. He runs it, runs the discipline. Runs everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Agreed. Funny, David Harris didn't play well because of Bart Scott. Now Demario Davis doesn't look good to fans playing next David Harris. There is a common denominator in both of those sentences. David Harris. Guy is/was a tackling machine. Thats it.
    LOL. Jeez, do you even think before you write?

First its your nonsense with Idzik and not signing anyone and defending him blindly, only for you to call him out a week later and contradict every single argument you said on him up until that point. Now you criticize the play of David Harris, and not Davis and BART SCOTT. Are you serious? Have you watched any Jet games over the last few seasons? It doesn't sound like you have even watched one game?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Only retards compared him to Ray Lewis and only retards took that comparison seriously.
    +1

You couldn't get a rise out of anyone in the Coples thread so you just decide to move onto the next player? Are you a creep?

Veteran
    I watched every minute of every Jets game last year and Davis almost never flashed to me. I understand we need lunch pail types alongside our stars. I also get that you can't always "see" leadership on the field. I'm just saying that I would like to see us strengthen such a key position with one of our draft picks. One rating system highlighted by Jets Blog had him ranked 55th among ILBs. I'd say that leaves considerable room for an upgrade.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    To be fair, Rex did make a comparison between Davis and Ray Lewis. He qualified it somewhat but he definitely talked about the similarities of the two.

From May 2012...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-demario-davis
    To be really fair, he compared his passion and energy with Ray Lewis. Not his on field play or his abilities as a LB. Not close to the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    I watched every minute of every Jets game last year and Davis almost never flashed to me. I understand we need lunch pail types alongside our stars. I also get that you can't always "see" leadership on the field. I'm just saying that I would like to see us strengthen such a key position with one of our draft picks. One rating system highlighted by Jets Blog had him ranked 55th among ILBs. I'd say that leaves considerable room for an upgrade.
    Jets had the #3 ranked rushing defense in the entire NFL last season - incredible considering our offense couldn't even stay on the field. End this stupid thread and dump it in the dump.

Bye

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    really had a solid second season....I see no hype...just calling it what it is...he is a solid player who saved the week one game. This is also just his third season. Jets got a diamond in the rough from Arkansas state. good scouting to get this guy noticed and then got drafter If there is a report saying a jets player is looking good, you then see this talk about WHAT HYPE. we are just talking about a very young player who should be one of th defensive leaders in season 4.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    no need to waitI can anoint him now........solid starter in his 2nd year and should get better in year three. He also does not have to be a star. to me he is looking like he may be like lance mehl. no frill or fancy but solid football player. that's all he has to be,

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The guy came from Arkansas State and was a decent starter in his second season.

How about we give him 3 seasons until we annoint him a star or a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol @ you guys taking the bait when the OP starts off by saying this thread's sole purpose is to get a rise out of people.

Tapping while talking
    /end thread

These fans man,

Glad to see you all rush to his defense. When a 2nd year player is compared to Ray Lewis I call that hype and over the top. Compared to Coples this guy can do no wrong. Year 3 is big for both of them. Hope they both step up.
    When he was compared to Ray Lewis it was due to his personality, not his football skills

Rex was saying that he could potentially be that type of leader who has the whole team's respect and can motivate his teammates to go to battle with him. He wasn't calling him a future hall of famer

Hey KRL don't forget Ellis, he was beating Harrison in camp before he got hurt.

As far as Davis goes, I was pleased with his season, this guy's nuts or bored or both.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 04-10-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I couldn't get a rise out of anyone in the Coples thread which seems fair.
    But, I think Davis is big time overrated and don't understand what he has done to deserve all the hype. Seems like he walked in anointed as the new leader and as far as I can tell his play hasn't measured up. With Harris on the decline I see this as an even bigger problem than the Safety position. Our defensive schemes rely on strong ILB play and we have a big risk here. Also, we have no legitimate backup for either guy.
    Nobody mentions this as a position of need. I would love to see us pick up a cheap FA backer and then draft a kid in the middle rounds. If CJ Mosley is still around I would also consider taking him in the first round.
    I'm confused... Is this your attempt to get a rise out of people?!

...Comin around, yall!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    In total agreement with OP. Davis was mediocre against the run last season and a liability in coverage. Dude couldn't cover a runningback out of the backfield if his life depended on it.

Bumping this, PFF isn't the end all be all, but it's a very useful indicator, Sheldon and Snacks both graded out fantastically this year and no shortage of Jets fans like to point that out. Davis should be held to the same standard. Here's Harris by comparison:

Jets Insider VIP
    He single handedly helped us win against Tampa.... He is still progressing. I think he is developing into a solid player. I can even see a few pro bowls in his future.

I don't see any instincts when I watch him play. He makes no plays. He sort of just tackles the guys that run right at him. Hope he's just thinking and getting it fixed at some point by using his instincts instead because he's still young, but at this point he's just another guy underperforming. With a line like that in front of him he really should be making some plays, more tackles, create some turnovers, get some sacks, tackles behind the line, whatever. He's not doing any of those things right now but like I said he's still young.