Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pennington likes the Jets QB situation

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    Chad was very smart QB, just not gifted on the physical side.
    He was a Rhodes Scholar candidate he knew Rhodes was gay before Kerry did..

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Penny is an A+++ human being.
    +1

Great mind, great character, average NFL body (we should all be so lucky)

Would love to see him back with the Jets one day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

I don't know how anyone could question Pennington's knowledge of the QB position and the game as a whole.

It's truly a shame that the injuries prevented the guy from reaching his full potential. I think he'd still probably be our QB right now if it weren't for all of the shoulder injuries.

I still say he's the closest thing to Montana that I've seen since Montana. Their games were remarkably similar. Same drop back, same release, amazing accuracy, etc.
    Yeah... I see it. Chad is Montana 2.0

QBs are measured on wins and playoff wins. BOTH of which Chad is way down the list.. loved the guy but facts are stubborn things.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    too bad he was a F--- qb.
    Post injuries. Before that, he was exceptionally good. His accuracy was second to none.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yeah... I see it. Chad is Montana 2.0

QBs are measured on wins and playoff wins. BOTH of which Chad is way down the list.. loved the guy but facts are stubborn things.
    In terms of their playing styles...yeah, Pennington WAS eerily similar to Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    too bad he was a F--- qb.
    You're a dope. If he had our present defense we easily would have made the playoffs probably every year and possibly gotten to the superbowl at some point. He's exactly what you want in a QB if you have a top 5 defense. High completion %, doesn't turn the ball over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    You're a dope. If he had our present defense we easily would have made the playoffs probably every year and possibly gotten to the superbowl at some point. He's exactly what you want in a QB if you have a top 5 defense. High completion %, doesn't turn the ball over cant win more than 10 games and only plays every other year. Exactly what a franchise needs in a QB.
    fixed...

Practice Squad
    He was like an eggshell back there

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Did someone in this thread just compare Chad Pennington to Peyton Manning?

Penningtology is alive and well, folks.
    Actually I stated the passing offenses that Pennington played in an Peyton now does were similar. Many screens a short passes. Perhaps a reading lesson is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed, Pennington pre shoulder injuries was effective and efficient. He is not just a smart guy, he is really smart. I think he could make an excellent QB coach and then become an OC.
    Ugh this argument over and over.... Taking what the defense gives you is only being a "Smart" QB when the QB doesn't have the ability or balls to do what HE wants to do out there. Great, SMART QB's dictate the play. They are the ones who make the defense yield to them. Crappy and limited QB's take what the defense gives. The defense is giving that for a reason. I wouldn't want Pennington in the ear of any QB who has the physical tools to dictate to the defense out on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    In terms of their playing styles...yeah, Pennington WAS eerily similar to Montana.
    Pennington was the Rick Reed to Montana's Greg Maddux. The poor man's "Montana."

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Ugh this argument over and over.... Taking what the defense gives you is only being a "Smart" QB when the QB doesn't have the ability or balls to do what HE wants to do out there. Great, SMART QB's dictate the play. They are the ones who make the defense yield to them. Crappy and limited QB's take what the defense gives. The defense is giving that for a reason. I wouldn't want Pennington in the ear of any QB who has the physical tools to dictate to the defense out on the field.
    So forcing passes to try and soften a defense is much better that taking what you can get and living for another play? Pennington's sholder issues did him in. Prior to that, you can not argue that the guy was a rising QB in the league. Constantly gave them a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    So forcing passes to try and soften a defense is much better that taking what you can get and living for another play? Pennington's sholder issues did him in. Prior to that, you can not argue that the guy was a rising QB in the league. Constantly gave them a chance
    Who said forcing passes? It's only a forced pass if you don't have the skill to make the pass. Some QB's can actually impose their will and set the tone of how they want to play. Pennington picked on weak defenses nickel and diming them with short 1-5 yard passes. Anytime he faced a solid D he got pummeled. He was an ok QB, that's it. I can't stand fans looking back at him like he was anything more than that.

Who said forcing passes? It's only a forced pass if you don't have the skill to make the pass. Some QB's can actually impose their will and set the tone of how they want to play. Pennington picked on weak defenses nickel and diming them with short 1-5 yard passes. Anytime he faced a solid D he got pummeled. He was an ok QB, that's it. I can't stand fans looking back at him like he was anything more than that.
    Agreed. However, if Pennington was an "OK QB" in your opinion, then we have utter garbage there now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed. However, if Pennington was an "OK QB" in your opinion, then we have utter garbage there now.
    In his BEST year..Chad won 10 games. Geno in a terrible year won 8. Loved Chad but he just didn't have the staying power. Everything with Chad starts out with "IF".

What's the relevance?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    In his BEST year..Chad won 10 games. Geno in a terrible year won 8. Loved Chad but he just didn't have the staying power. Everything with Chad starts out with "IF".
    Pennington never had a defense even close to what Geno had.

What's the relevance?
    Ok no problem. I'm done. No matter what--Pennington sucked, Geno is good. Got it, moving on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually I stated the passing offenses that Pennington played in an Peyton now does were similar. Many screens a short passes. Perhaps a reading lesson is needed?
    I read fine, and what you're saying isn't accurate at all. Peyton frequently throws the ball outside of the hash marks, which Chad was completely incapable of. This "short ball theory" you have translated to Peyton having an 8.31 YPA, 3rd highest in the NFL in 2013. Chad was in the 6-7 range, which is usually towards the bottom. He also threw the ball 50% more than Chad. Chad ran a version of the West Coast while Peyton runs a much more up-tempo, no huddle, 3WR set, often empty backfield, spread sets. So, no, their offenses weren't even remotely similar. Thanks for playing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pennington never had a defense even close to what Geno had.
    but IF.......