Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pennington likes the Jets QB situation

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    too bad he was a F--- qb.
    Disagree 100% Go watch the Indy playoff game. Everyone thought we had Joe Montana II after that game.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I read fine, and what you're saying isn't accurate at all. Peyton frequently throws the ball outside of the hash marks, which Chad was completely incapable of. This "short ball theory" you have translated to Peyton having an 8.31 YPA, 3rd highest in the NFL in 2013. Chad was in the 6-7 range, which is usually towards the bottom. He also threw the ball 50% more than Chad. Chad ran a version of the West Coast while Peyton runs a much more up-tempo, no huddle, 3WR set, often empty backfield, spread sets. So, no, their offenses weren't even remotely similar. Thanks for playing.
    That you for the accurate statistics.

Pennington DID look like Montana 2.0 back in '02. The most fun I've had watching a Jets game was the season-ender against GB that year when the Jets came from nowhere to win the East. Jets smoked a 12-3 team, Herm was 2-2 for playoff appearances, they had a legit #1 receiver in Coles, and most importantly they had found the franchise QB that was going to have more success than Namath. It was easily the most positive outlook this team had in 30 years.

Then the Raiders game happened. Then Terry Bradway happened. Then the injuries happened. Only the Jets could undo the euphoria of the GB game in 8 months.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Pennington DID look like Montana 2.0 back in '02. The most fun I've had watching a Jets game was the season-ender against GB that year when the Jets came from nowhere to win the East. Jets smoked a 12-3 team, Herm was 2-2 for playoff appearances, they had a legit #1 receiver in Coles, and most importantly they had found the franchise QB that was going to have more success than Namath. It was easily the most positive outlook this team had in 30 years.

Then the Raiders game happened. Then Terry Bradway happened. Then the injuries happened. Only the Jets could undo the euphoria of the GB game in 8 months.

So... based on what.... 9 games in ONE season he is Joe Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Did someone in this thread just compare Chad Pennington to Peyton Manning?

Penningtology is alive and well, folks.
    Could be the water in Knoxville, smh

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Pennington never had a defense even close to what Geno had.
    The '04-'05 defense is one of the best 'bend but don't break' defenses I've ever seen, and definitely one of the top 3 Jets defenses over the past 15 years. It was definitely better than Geno's was this past year. Penny was the biggest reason we lost to Pitt in overtime that year. He couldn't move the ball more than 15 yards a possession, and his offense managed a weak three points in 60+ minutes gametime.

Anyone claiming Penny would have won two superbowls with Rex's defenses in '09 and '10 is dreaming. (1) Sanchez isn't the reason we lost those games...in fact, those were some of this best games as a Jet, and (2) Penny has statistically proven an innate inability to beat top 10 defenses. His physical limitations, and his unwillingness to take even the most calculated of risks was his undoing...but people look back at it as "he was accurate and didn't turn the ball over"

Pennington DID look like Montana 2.0 back in '02.
    And then Bill Belichick showed the entire league how to scheme him by shutting off all the underneath routes and forcing him to throw deep and to the middle of the field which he could never do. The injuries were the icing o the cake. Great guy, grea competitor. I'd take Sanchez his first two years in the league over what Pennington became after 2003 and even though Favre ended up getting hurt in '08 they would still do the trade anyway because all Pennington would have gotten us was one and done in the playoffs which was his MO.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    So... based on what.... 9 games in ONE season he is Joe Montana?
    Well obviously not...but you weren't reading articles from sports publications back then if you didn't hear the reference on several occasions. The guy was lights out down the stretch that season.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    And then Bill Belichick showed the entire league how to scheme him by shutting off all the underneath routes and forcing him to throw deep and to the middle of the field which he could never do. The injuries were the icing o the cake. Great guy, grea competitor. I'd take Sanchez his first two years in the league over what Pennington became after 2003 and even though Favre ended up getting hurt in '08 they would still do the trade anyway because all Pennington would have gotten us was one and done in the playoffs which was his MO.
    It was actually the Raiders that exposed Pennington in the playoffs...until that point arm strength was rarely mentioned. After that game, it was an undercurrent in every discussion about Pennington.

And yes, Belichick did have the book on Chad. The 5 INT game in '03 (complete with Namath/Kolber embarrassment) was one of the hardest games to watch as a fan. You knew then the guy did not have what it took to take a team to a SB without a loaded roster.

It was actually the Raiders that exposed Pennington in the playoffs...until that point arm strength was rarely mentioned. After that game, it was an undercurrent in every discussion about Pennington.

And yes, Belichick did have the book on Chad. The 5 INT game in '03 (complete with Namath/Kolber embarrassment) was one of the hardest games to watch as a fan. You knew then the guy did not have what it took to take a team to a SB without a loaded roster.
    Chad had a decent career and saved our season in '02. I think we were like 2-4 or 2-5 when he took over for Vinny and ended up taking us to the second round of the playoffs. I think he could be an amazing offensive coordinator or head coach in the NFL if he wanted to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Chad had a decent career and saved our season in '02. I think we were like 2-4 or 2-5 when he took over for Vinny and ended up taking us to the second round of the playoffs. I think he could be an amazing offensive coordinator or head coach in the NFL if he wanted to.
    Agreed... decent is the right word.

Jets Insider VIP
    Are there actual fans out here to have the audacity to compare Chad Pennington to Joe Montana?

You mean the same Joe Montana who never lost in a SB. The same guy who most NFL Commentators say is the best QB of all time!!!

Why Chad Pennington wasn't EVEN one of the top five QBs when he was playing!!! Some of you are the same nuts who had the unbridled gall to say thread after agonizing thread that Chad was better than Brady cause his completion percentage was and is higher!!!

Don't you know anything about the game you follow.

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-09-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Are there actual fans out here to have the audacity to compare Chad Pennington to Joe Montana?

You mean the same Joe Montana who never lost in a SB. The same guy who most NFL Commentators say is the best QB of all time!!!

Why Chad Pennington wasn't EVEN one of the top five QBs when he was playing!!! Some of you are the same nuts who had the unbridled gall to say thread after agonizing thread that Chad was better than Brady cause his completion percentage was and is higher!!!

Don't you know anything about the game you follow.

Good Grief!!!
    Vinny has more TD's and passing yards then Montana maybe they should use him???

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

ACM. vs COP. Not again... Dump this thread before it's out of control.....

Too late

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    With a QB like Pennington (if healthy) we'd be a perennial playoff team and likely would have won a superbowl by now (similar to steelers formula).

No turnovers on this team = epic success with our D.

Frankly, this year whether it's Geno or Vick if we limit turnovers we are going to win an awful lot of games.
    Kind of remember Chad time here a little differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Except he wasn't, not before the injury.

Replace our defense in the AFCCG with the Seattle Defense, and we have two Super Bowl Rings right now.

Pennington is the poster child for injury-ruining-careers.
    Fixed that for you, but man I wish we still had pennington.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post

Me too. Pennington moved the offense. He wasn't just a don't turn the ball over qb, he was a franchise QB, at least he was early. Again this was with an offense lacking talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Me too. Pennington moved the offense. He wasn't just a don't turn the ball over qb, he was a franchise QB, at least he was early. Again this was with an offense lacking talent.
    Yeah he was a real HOFer.

Veteran

Wow, I'm reading this and got deja vu. I remember feeling the same way. Although not as bad as losing to Denver in the AFCCG as the Jets would've romped in that SB!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 04-09-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post

I'm not talking about chads time here....I'm talking about chad here today or someone like chad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk