Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pennington likes the Jets QB situation

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Are there actual fans out here to have the audacity to compare Chad Pennington to Joe Montana?
    To be fair Chad very early on was compared to Montana not by Jets fans but by pundits. Montana put alot of touch on his balls to make them more catchable. Chad had no choice but to put touch on his balls because he had the arm strength of a 10 year old girl.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I have faith in Geno, though who knows how good Pennington could have been if he had not torn his arm and shoulder apart several times.
    I had faith in a fart once, and $hit my pants.

Another QB........the team, media and this illustrious fan base ran outta town.......all because "he had a weak arm"

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    To be fair Chad very early on was compared to Montana not by Jets fans but by pundits. Montana put alot of touch on his balls to make them more catchable. Chad had no choice but to put touch on his balls because he had the arm strength of a 10 year old girl.
    Hey my friend PLEASE do not get me wrong. I loved Chad... Loved him!! I remember debating folks out here and ALWAYS defending him when some fans actually cheered him getting injured on the field.

I remember saying our OL sucked his last year on the Jets and people said I was making excuses for old noddle arm. No, I truly believe that if we had a player like Chad on the team when Sanchez was drafted we would be in a better place then now.

All I was saying and am saying is that while I love Chad comparing him to Montana makes no sense and it didn't make sense when he had a good 9 games and one glorious playoff win.

I am not picking on Chad per se, for example, I love Wayne Chrebet as well but I wouldn't compare him to Jerry Rice either no matter how many good games he had...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Hey my friend PLEASE do not get me wrong. I loved Chad... Loved him!! I remember debating folks out here and ALWAYS defending him when some fans actually cheered him getting injured on the field.

I remember saying our OL sucked his last year on the Jets and people said I was making excuses for old noddle arm. No, I truly believe that if we had a player like Chad on the team when Sanchez was drafted we would be in a better place then now.

All I was saying and am saying is that while I love Chad comparing him to Montana makes no sense and it didn't make sense when he had a good 9 games and one glorious playoff win.

I am not picking on Chad per se, for example, I love Wayne Chrebet as well but I wouldn't compare him to Jerry Rice either no matter how many good games he had...
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    I had faith in a fart once, and $hit my pants.

Pennington had a VERY good defense in 04. When they lost to the Steelers in OT. Even before his shoulder injury he was exposed by the raiders. He struggled mightily against above average defenses. He had heart and brains though.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The same pundits who picked the Jets as the worst team in football
    last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Pennington had a VERY good defense in 04. When they lost to the Steelers in OT. Even before his shoulder injury he was exposed by the raiders. He struggled mightily against above average defenses. He had heart and brains though.

So the defense carried them in '04? Where was the defense in '03 and '05? Somehow in the 4 full seasons Chad played, he was in the postseason 4 times. In the years cut short by injury - partly his own fault, partly bad O-lines - the Jets were never in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    2002 he was beaten by the Raiders, yes. The number 2 offense in the league and the #6 defense. His first year as the starter. Seem to forget the beating he put on the Colts the week before.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    2002 he was beaten by the Raiders, yes. The number 2 offense in the league and the #6 defense. His first year as the starter. Seem to forget the beating he put on the Colts the week before.
    The Colt game was one of his best and the team in general play great.. Chad had 3 td passes (19-22 222 yds) and Jordan had 102 yds and 2 tds . One problem for Chad he never had a td pass when he played the Steelers in his time with the Jets something even Clemens managed..

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Another QB........the team, media and this illustrious fan base ran outta town.......all because "he had a weak arm"
    To be fair, running a QB out of town because he has a weak arm is like running a WR out of town because all he can run are go routes.

In other words, it's a pretty good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The Colt game was one of his best and the team in general play great.. Chad had 3 td passes (19-22 222 yds) and Jordan had 102 yds and 2 tds . One problem for Chad he never had a td pass when he played the Steelers in his time with the Jets something even Clemens managed..
    Again, agreed. I am not one of these people who prays the god of Pennington. I can sit here all day and argue why I think Kenny O gets a s*** rep and he was the last great QB we had. The steelers play off game is a tough read. The guys rotator cuff was torn. He barely could throw the week before in SD. The defense won that game (and Eric Barton almost gave it back) Doug Brien hits a FG and we never talk about Pennington's bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    To be fair, running a QB out of town because he has a weak arm is like running a WR out of town because all he can run are go routes.

In other words, it's a pretty good reason.
    Yea but he didnt have a weak arm...it wasnt the strongest, but it wasn't as weak as the media, the team and this fan base made it out to be. Did the same thing with Sanchez...he had the most come from behind victories of any QB his first 3 years, made clutch throws...but "his completion percentage was low" "he turns the ball over" He beat peyton and brady on the road but "he doesn't carry the team on his back" Ive said it before and ill say it again: The New York Jets will never ever have a franchise QB. Not with a media market that begs us to fail everytime...and a team that doesn't really care about the QB...and a fan base that wants you benched the first time you throw a pick in your rookie year and cheers when you get injured. If I were a top college QB I'd never want to come here.....If Pennington played for the Vikings or the Steelers no one would spew the weak arm bull****....the New York media took it ran with it and made everyone believe it...and ran him outta town...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Again, agreed. I am not one of these people who prays the god of Pennington. I can sit here all day and argue why I think Kenny O gets a s*** rep and he was the last great QB we had. The steelers play off game is a tough read. The guys rotator cuff was torn. He barely could throw the week before in SD. The defense won that game (and Eric Barton almost gave it back) Doug Brien hits a FG and we never talk about Pennington's bad game.
    Great?? A QB that has never won a playoff game or scored even 1 rushing td?? I understand some of you grew up with Kenny as the Jets QB but he had 2 good years 1985-86.. He had a very good arm but Marino with what the Jets had those years would have won a few Bowls IMO..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Great?? A QB that has never won a playoff game or scored even 1 rushing td?? I understand some of you grew up with Kenny as the Jets QB but he had 2 good years 1985-86.. He had a very good arm but Marino with what the Jets had those years would have won a few Bowls IMO..
    And any SANE Jets fan agrees with you!!!!

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Wow, I noted how many people in the thread were bashing Pennington. Really?! Before he blew out his shoulder, the man was poised to have an outstanding career. Injuries derailed promising potential. You put a pre-injury Pennington on those two AFC Championship teams and we have two Super Bowl rings. Our weakness in those two years was inexperienced Quarterback. (And Schitty OC... then again, maybe we wouldn't have won them anyways... ugh...)

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    Wow, I noted how many people in the thread were bashing Pennington. Really?! Before he blew out his shoulder, the man was poised to have an outstanding career. Injuries derailed promising potential. You put a pre-injury Pennington on those two AFC Championship teams and we have two Super Bowl rings. Our weakness in those two years was inexperienced Quarterback. (And Schitty OC... then again, maybe we wouldn't have won them anyways... ugh...)
    Actually, Sanchez played lights out those 2 trips to the afccg.
    Its weird how that worked out. Im not defending Sanchez, i think he truly stinks, but the QB position wasnt at fault for those AFCCG losses. That, fell solely on the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Did someone in this thread just compare Chad Pennington to Peyton Manning?

Penningtology is alive and well, folks.
    They met once in the playoffs, it was Pennington's third year as a Jet but his first year as a starter - we won, 41-0. I don't have the box score handy, but I was there. At that point it would have been complimentary to compare Peyton to Chad.

But then Chad was hobbled by throwing shoulder injuries - and all his positives were subsequently forgotten and he became something to scorn. Our fan base has a dumb, cruel, and childish mentality - I'm too used to it.