Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders cut guard, Howard to start in place...

Charter JI Member

Raiders cut guard, Howard to start in place...

Was this already a known fact that Austin Howard was being moved to guard? Makes the Giacomini signing seem even better financially imho

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...l/Default.aspx

Raiders cut starting guard Mike Brisiel
    The Oakland Raiders cut former starting offensive guard Mike Brisiel, Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports.

Brisiel was signed to a five-year, $20 million contract two years ago before taking a paycut last year.

Brisiel was due a $3.85 million base salary in 2014.

Brisiel was more of a zone-blocking scheme fit than the Raiders' revamped offense.

Now, the Raiders have gone with former New York Jets right tackle Austin Howard as their new starting right offensive guard.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

All League
    seems like a lot of money to pay a player who's never played the position in the NFL

All League
    yes this came out a few days after he signed there. Doesnt seem to make sense

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    yes this came out a few days after he signed there. Doesnt seem to make sense
    It's the Raiders.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Was this already a known fact that Austin Howard was being moved to guard? Makes the Giacomini signing seem even better financially imho

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...l/Default.aspx

Raiders cut starting guard Mike Brisiel
    The Oakland Raiders cut former starting offensive guard Mike Brisiel, Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports.

Brisiel was signed to a five-year, $20 million contract two years ago before taking a paycut last year.

Brisiel was due a $3.85 million base salary in 2014.

Brisiel was more of a zone-blocking scheme fit than the Raiders' revamped offense.

Now, the Raiders have gone with former New York Jets right tackle Austin Howard as their new starting right offensive guard.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg
    I'm not sure why it makes the Jets signing better. It makes the Raiders signing worse, for sure, but I don't see the Raiders moving Howard to guard affects what the Jets were planning

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Moderator VIP Visionary
    That's a big right side; jeepers.

Hall Of Fame
    If Brisiel is a better fit for a ZBS then the Jets should take a look at him.

All League
    Typical OAK move, overpay someone for what they hope they can be. Then in a move of
    brillance put them in a position they have never played before

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Typical OAK move, overpay someone for what they hope they can be. Then in a move of
    Well Sparano had Howard with the Jets and is Oakland's OL coach. They could always draft an OG and move him back to RT.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Well Sparano had Howard with the Jets and is Oakland's OL coach. They could always draft an OG and move him back to RT.
    That would make a lot more sense then sticking Howard in a position he's never played before - but then again, this is the Raiduuuuuhhhhssss we are talking about, so, anything is possible.

Tony Sparano when OC of the Jets, wanted to play Austin Howard at guard. ( thought that was his best position) Tony Sparano you can question his ability as OC or head coach, but the man knows what he's doing on the Oline. So until I see your resume when it comes to building an Oline, I trust his opinion more than yours on where Austin Howard should play.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Tony Sparano when OC of the Jets, wanted to play Austin Howard at guard. ( thought that was his best position) Tony Sparano you can question his ability as OC or head coach, but the man knows what he's doing on the Oline. So until I see your resume when it comes to building an Oline, I trust his opinion more than yours on where Austin Howard should play.
    Kudos to you for always having faith in this disaster of a franchise...All the Raider fans I knew growing up jumped ship years ago.

All League
    Listen moron, before your stupid organization overpaid Howard you wouldn't have known him if he was sitting in
    your living room. Howard WAS NEVER considered to play guard when he was a Jet he was a last ditch option
    to replace Wayne Hunter and we lucked out

Listen moron, before your stupid organization overpaid Howard you wouldn't have known him if he was sitting in
    your living room. Howard WAS NEVER considered to play guard when he was a Jet he was a last ditch option
    to replace Wayne Hunter and we lucked out
    No your not too bright, because that exactly what Tony Sparano said. He wanted to play him at guard when he was with the Jets. So please tell me unless you work in the Jets organization how do you know he never was pushing Rex to move him to guard. So I should trust a coach that was there, or a fan who isn't privy to internal discussions. Come on that doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-01-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    No your not too bright, because that exactly what Tony Sparano said. He wanted to play him at guard when he was with the Jets. So please tell me unless you work in the Jets organization how do you know he never was pushing Rex to move him to guard. So I should trust a coach that was there, or a fan who isn't privy to internal discussions. Come on that doesn't make sense.
    Lets just assume that what your saying about Sparano wanting to move Howard to Guard is true - and I am not convinced it is, since I have never heard or read anything implying that directly or indirectly.

The simple fact is Howard has NEVER played Guard - not in college or in the pros.

The only O-Line positions he has experience playing is RT & LT.

Does that mean he can't make the transition?

Not necessarily but it wouldn't be smart to go into the season counting on Howard to be able to do it.

Veteran
    A 6'7" Guard???

All Pro
    They massively (not just slightly) overpaid Howard if the plan was to play him at guard. He should be fine once he gets accustomed to it, guard is an easier spot than tackle. But overpaying a tackle to move him to guard is one of the most Raiders thing I've ever heard. Maybe they'll sign Joe McKnight to play corner, trade for Cromartie to play receiver on one side, with Pryor lining up on the other. Then they can trade their 1st rounder to New England and have Edelman run the show at QB.

All Pro
    Tony Sparano when OC of the Jets, wanted to play Austin Howard at guard.
    Link?

It seems like you're just making things up. The OG battle in 2012 (Sparano's only season with the team) was between Slauson and Ducasse. Brandon Moore was firmly entrenched at RG. I never heard anything about Howard being considered at OG. He's a prototypical OT, specifically RT.

Hall Of Fame
    Howard is not a Guard, he will not play Guard, he never practiced playing Guard while with the Jets.

Find the quote from Sparano or shut up.

That article reeks of being a typo, if Howard I moved to Guard, it will just prove how stupid that organization remains.

All Pro
    Not shocked they cut Brisiel he was over paid and I think he refused to take a pay cut last year. He is still a good G I just think Oakland wants to get rid of anyone that was there under Al. I think that is why they are shopping Moore really. I wouldnt be shocked at all if they traded down and ended up drafting like 14-16 people and started most of them.