Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gil Brandt lists Dee Milliner as a sophomore sensation

Gil Brandt lists Dee Milliner as a sophomore sensation

Milliner didn't initially live up to the hype that came with being the No. 9 overall pick in last year's draft -- missing a handful of games in the first half as he dealt with injury issues -- but he really showed something toward the end of the season, specifically in Weeks 16 and 17. In those two games, Milliner broke up 10 passes -- that's practically unheard of, the equivalent of having four interceptions in one game -- and snagged three picks. Milliner has the size, speed and long arms needed for the position. He's also a very good tackler and blitzer. Being viewed by many as the replacement for Darrelle Revis didn't make Milliner's rookie year any easier. While I don't know if you can ever truly replace Revis, Milliner has turned it around, and I think he has a better-than-average chance of making the Pro Bowl within the next two years.

Projection for 2014: 25 pass breakups, five interceptions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...econdyear-step

I agree with him, I think Milliner is going to be very good. He was lining up vs #1 WRs late in the year and looked good. Should be much better in year 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Would be nice to see him pick up where he left off. Word is that Ed Reed really took him under his wing. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing old Ed back for another year or at least giving him a shot in camp. I know he took playing time away from Allen but I think all the youngins on D could benefit from a guy like him.

The kid has awesome skills no doubt about it, just needs to learn the nuances of the pro game.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Would be nice to see him pick up where he left off. Word is that Ed Reed really took him under his wing. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing old Ed back for another year or at least giving him a shot in camp. I know he took playing time away from Allen but I think all the youngins on D could benefit from a guy like him.
    I agree but I think it's concerning our DB coach wasn't doing the same for Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    Let's not forget that Milliner was coming off major surgery and missed camp and the preseason. Should be a whole lot different this year.

All League
    There is no evidence he would have played differently without Reed. I would also caution not to jump the gun. He had some lucky breaks as well those last few weeks

There are things you can always learn from a future hall of famer.

Wait so Brandt is saying that you can't proclaim a rookie a bust after his first 10 games? If you were to listen to posters on this board he would have been cut midseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Milliner is one of 3 guys who could potentially break out for the Jets and give them a legitimate shot at the playoffs in 2014. The other two, in my opinion, are Geno Smith and Quinton Coples. What these three guys have in common are the physical makeup and skills, the previous high-level success (college and/or the end of the 2013 season), and having a lack of experience working against them. Coples was being asked to transition to a new position which takes some time but he showed flashes last year. Geno and Milliner both suffered from some inconsistency and early season rookie-itis IMO. But over the last month of the season no one on the Jets was playing better than Geno and Milliner. The future is bright with all 3 of these guys and if.....just if....they each make a normal progression in maturity, experience and consistency then look out!

Gil Brandt isn't usually one for hyperbole and over-hyping guys. Great job by him in recognizing the potential Dee Milliner has and not being afraid to go out on a limb and suggest that Dee could absolutely become not just a #1 CB but a potential Pro Bowler. The only two things working against Milliner are some fragility / injury concerns, and inexperience....and one of those things is going away quickly!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We have no clue that his improvement was due to Reed.

All League
    Agree with the old guy

He played Revis level the last 4 games. Remember he had to learn how to backpeddle during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    We have no clue that his improvement was due to Reed.
    Fair enough. But look at this article below. Milliner was clearly learning stuff from Reed. Can't find an article where he praises Tim McDonald.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/n...afety-ed-reed/

Ed Reed did not practice on Thursday but that doesn’t mean he had the day off. After all, he still needs to hold down a seat next to Dee Milliner.

Since the arrival of Reed four weeks ago, Milliner has had a steady spot next to Reed in film study, where the future Hall of Fame safety and the rookie cornerback can whisper back and forth to each other. But they’re not goofing off; rather it is Reed trying to help the first-round pick through the ups and many downs of his assimilation into the NFL.

Milliner said both he and Reed understood there was a mentorship in place almost from the onset of his arrival at the Jets facility.

“When we’re in the film [session], everything he looks at, he sees, he tells me,” Milliner said. “It’s just whatever he sees, things that can help me out in a game, he tells me.”

Despite being held back from practice on Thursday, something Reed and head coach Rex Ryan explained is to help keep the veteran safety fresh for Sunday, Reed was still on the field mentoring Milliner and the rest of the secondary. In addition, he still attended film study.

“When he first got here, that was somebody I looked up to, one of the best safeties in the game,” Milliner said. “I knew that when I be around him, he’s going to help me out and turn me into a good player. I just try to get around him and do the best I can to listen to him and take in everything he has to offer. He always try to put me wherever he’s at next to him so I can try to learn things from him.”

Jets Insider VIP
    I think it all boils down to health w/ milliner. If he stays healthy, skys the limit. But his injury history is a bit concerning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think it all boils down to health w/ milliner. If he stays healthy, skys the limit. But his injury history is a bit concerning.
    Good thing we added Dimitri Patterson!

Milliner, Denard, Dmitry Paterson, a pass rusher in the mid rounds would make a sick defense!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Milliner, Denard, Dmitry Paterson, a pass rusher in the mid rounds would make a sick defense!
    Agreed, but Dennard is only a Jet if he's taken in the 1st round and I'd really like to use that first pick on offense....a WR or TE.

We have to resign Ed Reed. Reed studies tape like crazy and gets his teammates to do the same thing which helped Milliner last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Agreed, but Dennard is only a Jet if he's taken in the 1st round and I'd really like to use that first pick on offense....a WR or TE.
    Yeah agreed on the WR. We really need a true playmaker. This report is saying that Dennard might be slipping.
    Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard has three team visits scheduled in the next two weeks, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
    Dennard is set to visit the Rams on Thursday and then the Bengals and Jets next week. A report surfaced yesterday which said the NFL was not as high on Dennard's talent as the media is, so there is a chance the veteran corner could be selected in the second-round. Dennard excels in press coverage and staying physical with receivers throughout their route.
    Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter Apr 9 - 12:28 PM

If that's the case maybe the jets can moe a 4th with their second to move up in the second round. There's also the possibilities of trading one of the 4ths for a veteran CB like Joseph. Possibilities are endless here hope Idzik is ready.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Milliner is one of 3 guys who could potentially break out for the Jets and give them a legitimate shot at the playoffs in 2014. The other two, in my opinion, are Geno Smith and Quinton Coples. What these three guys have in common are the physical makeup and skills, the previous high-level success (college and/or the end of the 2013 season), and having a lack of experience working against them. Coples was being asked to transition to a new position which takes some time but he showed flashes last year. Geno and Milliner both suffered from some inconsistency and early season rookie-itis IMO. But over the last month of the season no one on the Jets was playing better than Geno and Milliner. The future is bright with all 3 of these guys and if.....just if....they each make a normal progression in maturity, experience and consistency then look out!

Gil Brandt isn't usually one for hyperbole and over-hyping guys. Great job by him in recognizing the potential Dee Milliner has and not being afraid to go out on a limb and suggest that Dee could absolutely become not just a #1 CB but a potential Pro Bowler. The only two things working against Milliner are some fragility / injury concerns, and inexperience....and one of those things is going away quickly!
    They are 3 guys with high ceilings and plenty of untapped potential....if those 3 guys can put it together this season we are looking at a potential wild card berth and putting some pressure on the Pats for the division....