Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson "I want to be a Jet FOR LIFE."

Jets Insider VIP

Wilkerson "I want to be a Jet FOR LIFE."

http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/wilkers...-jet-for-life/

Muhammad Wilkerson isn’t keeping his feelings about the Jets close to the vest.
    Whatever leverage the Pro Bowl defensive lineman might have had in his ongoing contract talks appeared to go right out the window Thursday when Wilkerson told The Post he had informed the team in January he wants to be “a Jet for life.”
    “I told them at the end of the year last year that I want to be a Jet — a Jet for life,” Wilkerson said at a Play 60 appearance at the team’s headquarters. “I’m from the area [Linden, N.J.], I’m a local guy, so I would love to be here and finish my career here.”
    Wilkerson also reiterated he will not hold out this summer if the Jets — as expected — pick up the cheaper fifth-year option in his current contract instead of signing him to a more lucrative long-term deal.

Wilkerson told The Post talks about a long-term contract are ongoing between his agent and the Jets, but the slow pace set by general manager John Idzik doesn’t worry him.
    “That’s what I have an agent for,” Wilkerson said. “I’m not holding out. My agent is talking with Idzik, and that’s all I can say. I have nothing to do with that. I’m just going to let him take care of that. That’s his job. I’m just here to play ball.
    “It is what it is. If [a long-term deal] happens, it happens. I don’t control what goes on upstairs.”
    Wilkerson, in fact, praised Idzik and defended him against fan base grumbling about the GM’s relative inactivity in free agency.
    “I’m all about all the moves they’ve made here,” Wilkerson said. “We have a great GM here in Idzik, and he’s a man with a plan. We’re going to rally behind him and do what we have to do.”
    One of Idzik’s few moves this offseason was the signing of Michael Vick, another move that has Wilkerson smiling.
    Wilkerson insisted Vick would help second-year quarterback Geno Smith instead of be a threat to Smith’s development.
    “[Vick’s] a veteran leader, and I’m looking forward to him coming in here and helping out the offense as well as the organization,” Wilkerson said. “His résumé speaks for itself in the league. He was with [offensive coordinator] Marty [Mornhinweg] in Philly, so I think that’ll help. He’s used to the system, and I think that he’ll definitely help Geno move forward at this young stage in his career.”
    Wow we really have a special player who is going to become GREAT. We struck gold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Chances of that happening are close to nil. Still great attitude and I hope his most productive years are with us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The article implies that the deadline for picking up that 5th year option is this summer, that doesn't sound right, he's just going into year 3

All Pro
    Coples is going into year 3, Wilk into year 4.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Coples is going into year 3, Wilk into year 4.
    Ah, you are right, thanks

Man he's a moron. Unlike other pro's he's basically turning down more money in order to stay loyal to one team. He should be more like Revis, sell out and go to the highest bidder.

/sarcasm

On and off the field Mo' is just special. His parents did a great job raising him.

Revis said the same thing.

Hall Of Fame

Wilkerson "I want to be a Jet FOR LIFE."

Glad to hear it bc ultimately if he wants to be then he can be. Unlike Revis I think he actually means it bc of his family ties.

Sounds like someone who knows he has zero leverage this season, but I also don't doubt that Mo is a great person. He hasn't proven otherwise. I hope we do not penny pinch him and keep him here long term. With Idzik I'm unsure, but then again his a "homegrown talent" and that seems to be Idzik's M.O. - keeping those you draft and using FA for only drastic situations. He better hit it hard May 8-10.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He was also holding out every year. You'd have to be stupid to actually think he meant what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    He was also holding out every year. You'd have to be stupid to actually think he meant what he said.
    Regardless, the point still stands that saying you want to be a lifer doesn't mean anything. In this day and age, that's becoming less of a thing. Great players go from team to team and it doesn't look to be stopping.

I hope he ends up playing his entire career for us and ONLY us. But, what we want to happen in sports doesn't always end up happening.

Tapping while talking

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't think agents/players will be as quick to do a power play on Idzik, as they were Mike "T". Idzik plays hardball, like in the case of Revis. Mr. "T" played "CandyLand"
    As much as I disliked Idzik's handling of Free Agency, he has let everyone know we will not be used as a bargaining chip to get a bigger contract, nor, will we overpay. Hopefully, if we ever get a Tier 1 QB, and a solid winning tradition.... players will take less to play here and contend for a SB. This draft could set that whole vision in motion, or push it back a couple of years. Need the "A" game Idzik on May 8-11.

Go JETS!

All League
    Regardless, the point still stands that saying you want to be a lifer doesn't mean anything. In this day and age, that's becoming less of a thing. Great players go from team to team and it doesn't look to be stopping.

I hope he ends up playing his entire career for us and ONLY us. But, what we want to happen in sports doesn't always end up happening.

Tapping while talking
    was going to say the same thing. revis, and the majority of athletes say this when they are in negotiations. it's the correct PR thing to say.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Why do people assume that this player by declaring his loyalty to the Jets is jeopardizing his earning potential? The market for a player is the market for a player regardless of where he is currently. I'm sure he will be properly compensated, it's not like Idzik will try and pick him off because he is happy here already.

That being said, sign this beast long term!

Hall Of Fame
    The feeling is mutual, Big Mo.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/wilkers...-jet-for-life/

Wow we really have a special player who is going to become GREAT. We struck gold.
    I think he's already great. He is going to become "All World."

All Pro
    Sean Gilbert is going to want to have a long talk with this young man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Revis didn't want to be a Jet for the life of his contract..

I know there is revis risk to the move Im going to mention (ie referencing your yearly salary as an example of being underpaid and not including your signing bonus), but still.

With all this cap space, why not give Mo a HUGE Roster bonus (not signing bonus) in 2014 as part of a long term deal, and then have that money disappear off the cap number immediately for the future?

Say he gets a 6 year $60 million deal, with a $15 million roster bonus in 2014 (roster bonuses are not spread out). Then we are basically spreading out only $45 million over 6 years - seems like a good way to keep his cap number down in a year where we have the space.

No, no he didn't bruh swag