Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darqueze Dennard slipping out of top 20

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Darqueze Dennard slipping out of top 20

If we get him at 18 id be hyped! He is the most physical CB I have ever seen!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

If you happened to glance over NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft, you probably noticed that he has Blake Bortles to the Minnesota Vikings, Derek Carr to the Arizona Cardinals and Teddy Bridgewater to the Cleveland Browns among other selections.

What might have slipped under the radar was cornerback Darqueze Dennard slipping all the way down to 30th overall and the San Francisco 49ers. Considering Dennard is Jeremiah's second best corner in the draft and 20th overall player, it's a little interesting to see him barely making it in the first round.

As it turns out, Jeremiah might just be ahead of the curve as he's starting to hear that teams are liking other corners over the Michigan State product, including one in particular from the Big Ten.

"I think it's a real possibility (Dennard slips)," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "You talk about Bradley Roby from Ohio State, watching him over the summer based on last year's tape, I thought he was outstanding. Maybe the most talented corner in the entire draft class. Now this year, didn't have as good a year and had a bad game against Wisconsin.

"This time of year, you're starting to hear his name move up the board."

It's not just Jeremiah that is high on Dennard's play either, as Dennard is fellow NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock's top corner in the draft. Some consider Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert as the guy likely to be drafted first at the position -- due in part to his return ability -- but who winds up as the second corner taken appears to be up in the air with Dennard's draft stock apparently down.

"Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech, a very physical player," Jeremiah said. "I think a lot of teams are saying Fuller vs. Dennard, and Fuller is getting the nod for some of them. He could slide down, it's a very real possibility."

Yet, again it seems we have a case of a player who everybody likes falling victim to those whose stock is on the rise late in the pre-draft process.

Dennard won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in college football to cap a stellar senior season in East Lansing. He's known for his press man coverage skills and being physical with opposing receivers. His fit in more zone coverage schemes has been question but he has done his best to alleviate those concerns during meetings with NFL teams prior to the draft.

There still could be a team, perhaps the Pittsburgh Steelers or Arizona Cardinals, who will be looking to take a corner like Dennard but for now the former Spartan's stock arrow is unfortunately pointed in the down direction.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Dennard over Roby all day long, he would be a great fit in Rex's scheme (and I am a Buckeye fan)

Unless Barr, Watkins or Bridgewater falls Dennard should be the pick at 18

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roby got torched all year and Dennard was the best Corner in college Football. Yet their arrows are pointing in different directions... just weird... Dennard is the Kind if stud Corner tbat would give us a great Tandem for a decade...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    No CB in the 1st, no way, now how, that is complete insanity

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pierre Desir will leapfrog him.

We will make some trades come draft day I think.

12 picks doesn't mean 12 starters.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    No CB in the 1st, no way, now how, that is complete insanity
    I'm all for the Insane Island Posse

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's truly falling closer to 30, why not take the WR at 18 and try to jump back into the end of the 1st for him?

IMO, we need to draft a WR in the 1st round. Have to go offense. Sick of going corner/defense in the first (can't complain about the results though), but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back up to get Dennard, especially with all the picks we have.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 04-11-2014 at 03:37 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets4everFlying View Post

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

If you happened to glance over NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft, you probably noticed that he has Blake Bortles to the Minnesota Vikings, Derek Carr to the Arizona Cardinals and Teddy Bridgewater to the Cleveland Browns among other selections.

What might have slipped under the radar was cornerback Darqueze Dennard slipping all the way down to 30th overall and the San Francisco 49ers. Considering Dennard is Jeremiah's second best corner in the draft and 20th overall player, it's a little interesting to see him barely making it in the first round.

As it turns out, Jeremiah might just be ahead of the curve as he's starting to hear that teams are liking other corners over the Michigan State product, including one in particular from the Big Ten.

"I think it's a real possibility (Dennard slips)," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "You talk about Bradley Roby from Ohio State, watching him over the summer based on last year's tape, I thought he was outstanding. Maybe the most talented corner in the entire draft class. Now this year, didn't have as good a year and had a bad game against Wisconsin.

"This time of year, you're starting to hear his name move up the board."

It's not just Jeremiah that is high on Dennard's play either, as Dennard is fellow NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock's top corner in the draft. Some consider Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert as the guy likely to be drafted first at the position -- due in part to his return ability -- but who winds up as the second corner taken appears to be up in the air with Dennard's draft stock apparently down.

"Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech, a very physical player," Jeremiah said. "I think a lot of teams are saying Fuller vs. Dennard, and Fuller is getting the nod for some of them. He could slide down, it's a very real possibility."

Yet, again it seems we have a case of a player who everybody likes falling victim to those whose stock is on the rise late in the pre-draft process.

Dennard won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in college football to cap a stellar senior season in East Lansing. He's known for his press man coverage skills and being physical with opposing receivers. His fit in more zone coverage schemes has been question but he has done his best to alleviate those concerns during meetings with NFL teams prior to the draft.

There still could be a team, perhaps the Pittsburgh Steelers or Arizona Cardinals, who will be looking to take a corner like Dennard but for now the former Spartan's stock arrow is unfortunately pointed in the down direction.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.
    I have a hard time believing he will slip to the mid 20s. I don't care if a 1/2 doz gms think he is slipping the other 24 don't. This kid is ty law.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt we don't take a WR or TE at 18, but if we don't it will be a CB or OLB and if it's a CB I think it very well could be Roby. Jets had a private meeting with him at Ohio State and seem to be very interested in him. Could be a smokescreen, but he is a Top 5 CB in this class.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I doubt we don't take a WR or TE at 18, but if we don't it will be a CB or OLB and if it's a CB I think it very well could be Roby. Jets had a private meeting with him at Ohio State and seem to be very interested in him. Could be a smokescreen, but he is a Top 5 CB in this class.
    It will all depend on the big board. I could see us going either way, particularly since this draft is so deep at WR. I could also see us trading back into the 1st round

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Roby got torched all year and Dennard was the best Corner in college Football. Yet their arrows are pointing in different directions... just weird... Dennard is the Kind if stud Corner tbat would give us a great Tandem for a decade...
    I think this is a product of a smoke screen. Jeremiah has no clue.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I would take Dennard over Roby all day long, he would be a great fit in Rex's scheme (and I am a Buckeye fan)

Unless Barr, Watkins or Bridgewater falls Dennard should be the pick at 18
    Would love to be able to get Dennard, but with all do respect to your opinion I wouldnt touch Barr in the first.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Dennard or OBJ in the first round is ok with me!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we're all in agreement then...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must be a young pup.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Apparently having one with Dennard too:
    Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard has three team visits scheduled in the next two weeks, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
    Dennard is set to visit the Rams on Thursday and then the Bengals and Jets next week. A report surfaced yesterday which said the NFL was not as high on Dennard's talent as the media is, so there is a chance the veteran corner could be selected in the second-round. Dennard excels in press coverage and staying physical with receivers throughout their route. Apr 9 - 12:28 PM

Edit: Not a private visit at school like Roby's
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 04-11-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I have a hard time believing he will slip to the mid 20s. I don't care if a 1/2 doz gms think he is slipping the other 24 don't. This kid is ty law.
    Agree. Just a talking head throwing stuff out there from a few GMs trying to create smokescreens.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you just start watching football?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    If he's truly falling closer to 30, why not take the WR at 18 and try to jump back into the end of the 1st for him?

IMO, we need to draft a WR in the 1st round. Have to go offense. Sick of going corner/defense in the first (can't complain about the results though), but I wouldn't be opposed to trading back up to get Dennard, especially with all the picks we have.
    Unless Evans or Watkins is there WR can wait IMO. There is really no separation in talent in the next 5-6 guys someone will be there in the 2nd for us. WR is easy to fill 2-3 even 4TH round. But I also dont think Dennard is worth a 1st. Justin Gilbert or Roby would be the better fits and I wouldnt take either in the 1st unless we trade down. I have to think one of the top Ss here or a TE. Maybe a G or RB if they really like one. All bigger needs then WR or CB and good one will be there at 18.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    You must be a young pup.
    Aye. The rules were different then, but a guy like Mel Blount would be one of my picks. Of course being 6'3" 205 at CB doesn't hurt!

Watch and learn, young pup.

Last edited by nycdan; 04-11-2014 at 09:40 AM.