Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Just got back from a weekend with the Allmans @ Wanee

  1. #1

    Just got back from a weekend with the Allmans @ Wanee

    Awesome weekend. My quick review:
    FRIDAY:
    1. Lynyrd skynrd - these guys were immature. They made arrogant pa statements enticing folks to be ready for the rock and roll hall of famers. Who does that? Either way i have to say it was a great show. They stuck to all the hits and sounded good. They did a lot of gay stuff like point to heaven / jesus and inspire nationalism and southern politics but everyone was singing and dancing. Only one member left, i believe it was gary rossington and it was sad because during free bird he just labored through rhythm without soloing.

    2 Umphrey Mcgee - awesome show. Loved em on the big stage. Did a lot of their best tunes. These guys are the future of rock and roll.

    2b trey Anastasio - even in phish you were average to me. As a solo act....well, not really a fan. I was surprised how many people cleared out. I guess it was a good time to cook a steak, take a dump, re- roll a few and prepare for the night

    3. Allman Bros - great set. Greg sounded strong. What else is there to say? Loved it

    4. Aaron Neville - ahhhh the midnight Led Zeppelin show on the small stage. Absolutely rocked the house. All the best of the fastest paced tunes. The kids were dancing up a storm. I was too. Everyone was f'ed up and partying like it was their last day on earth. John popper came out and did black dog and dancing days with them. Wow

    SATURDAY

    1. Chris Robinson brotherhood - every gig needs a disappointment and this act delivered just that. Chris has gotten old, cut his hair and fancies himself a guitarist now. He needs to follow dickkotites rule of soloism: you, and everyone else, sound best with your ORIGINAL band. Just ask sting, bjork, trey or any other who dared to venture out on their own. Just nothing special. Certainly not the black crows.....

    2. Tedeshi Trucks band - pretty good set. Ive seen em a few times but im not nuts about them. Still, a good set.
    3. Govt Mule - i really wanted to stay, but i had to eat and dump or id miss the brothers. So i didnt watch
    4. Allmans - another great set. Greg really had some power in his voice. Sad, but it might be the last allman gig ill ever see in florida or perhaps anywhere else for that matter.
    5 Umphreys Mcgee - the midnight show on the small, better stage. I was wasted and expecting their tunes but they played ONLY covers for 2solid hours. I was in the First Row, center. AMAZING. This might have been one of the 4 or 5 BEST gigs ive ever seen in my life. They opened with bob marleys exodus, going into some talking heads. Then some stones, led zeps celebration day, the greatest part were the guests that joined em....the guitarist from Lettuce. Followed by john popper who wasunreal. Right in front of me. Then, out comes warren Hayes and they did some police covers. I was so close to warren i could see his wrinkles. He has wild eyebrows too.
    For the encore, how about van halens running with the devil followed by the beatles i need you so bad. WOW! The guitarist in that band might be the best guitarist in music today. Justoutstanding and makes it look effortless


    Good times

  2. #2
    Wow, sounds like you had a blast. I know i’m dating myself, but i’ve never heard about Umphreys Mcgee. I’ll have to give them a listen.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Wow, sounds like you had a blast. I know i’m dating myself, but i’ve never heard about Umphreys Mcgee. I’ll have to give them a listen.
    superb. the guitarist is ridiculously good


  4. #4
    they have great originals but specialize in doing awesome mash up of your favorite songs that are totally random. spirit of the radio/let it be is one.....here they mash up bob marleys exodus and and the talking heads life during wartime


  5. #5
    Good for you man, looks like a sick time to me.
    Tell me what did you think of Trey when he sat in with ABB? Trying to find a link of that.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,151
    Was gonna see Allmans at Beacon but they trumped me the night before tix went on sale with the announcement Derek and Wayne would be leaving. Lost a bit of respect on that move.

    Neville did an all Zepp set?

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Wannee was broadcast on XM all weekend, from what I heard of Allmans and Tedeschi Trucks there were some great shows. Sounds like it was a good time.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,540
    To anyone who has never heard of nor seen Umphrey's McGee, do so immediately. These guys are not only amazing musicians, but quite simply, they just "get it" in that they know how to treat their fans (fan-voted setlists, the headphone experience at shows, mind-blowing live shows, live shows being released left and right). There's tons of live material on Youtube, but if you like to start with studio material first to get the feel of a band, start with "Anchor Drops."

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    To anyone who has never heard of nor seen Umphrey's McGee, do so immediately. These guys are not only amazing musicians, but quite simply, they just "get it" in that they know how to treat their fans (fan-voted setlists, the headphone experience at shows, mind-blowing live shows, live shows being released left and right). There's tons of live material on Youtube, but if you like to start with studio material first to get the feel of a band, start with "Anchor Drops."
    +1. Great live shows

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Good for you man, looks like a sick time to me.
    Tell me what did you think of Trey when he sat in with ABB? Trying to find a link of that.
    yes he is a great musician and im not bashing him. i like some phish as well but as a solo act it isnt even as strong as phish.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post

    Neville did an all Zepp set?
    YES. It was great with lots of guests.....

    John Popper, who is at Wanee with Blues Traveler, emerged four songs into the performance for "Custard Pie" and returned for "Nobody's Fault But Mine." Warren Haynes came out towards the end of the set for "The Ocean" and stuck around for the rest of the performance including takes on "Fool In The Rain," "Ramble On" and "Whole Lotta Love."

    Dumpstaphunk drummer Nikki Glaspie mentioned that Led Zeppelin was among her favorite five bands of all-time and that the group's drummer, John Bonham, was one of her heroes. The New Orleans-based band will reprise their Led Zeppelin tribute later this month at Daze On The Green in Denver and at the Howlin' Wolf in the Crescent City as a Jazz Fest late night on April 25.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    To anyone who has never heard of nor seen Umphrey's McGee, do so immediately. These guys are not only amazing musicians, but quite simply, they just "get it" in that they know how to treat their fans (fan-voted setlists, the headphone experience at shows, mind-blowing live shows, live shows being released left and right). There's tons of live material on Youtube, but if you like to start with studio material first to get the feel of a band, start with "Anchor Drops."
    i swear i wouldnt be surprised if they busted into "the number of the beast" by maiden and then "dogs" by pink floyd. thats how they roll. at a hippie jam fest no less

  13. #13
    heres the setlist:

    Umphrey’s McGee closed down Wanee Music Festival with their first All Night Wrong of the year. The band kicked off the cover-filled set with their Talking Heads/Bob Marley original mashup “Life During Exodus” before delivering UM cover staples in “The Song Remains the Same” and “Rock the Casbah,” a more recent debut.

    The first guest of the night came in the form of Blues Traveler’s John Popper, who added harmonica to The Rolling Stones’ “Miss You.” Previously, UM performed the cover with G. Love, who also added harmonica and vocals to the song. After Steely Dan’s “Hey 19,” Oteil Burbridge sat in for “When the World is Running Down,” a longtime cover in the Umphrey’s repertoire.

    UM’s unique “dub” take on Pink Floyd’s “Breathe” followed before Eric Krasno and Adam Deitch sat in on Scofield’s “A Go Go,” a cover not performed in over a year. Krasno would return for the encore but the final unique guest of the evening was Warren Haynes on “Immigrant Song” and the harmony-laden “Black Water.” Haynes and Umphrey’s normally collaborate when the band appears at Mountain Jam in New York.

    The two song encore included a high energy take on “Runnin’ With the Devil” and the aforementioned Krasno returned for a UM and Soulive staple, “I Want You (She’s So Heavy).” Next up for Umphrey’s is a show at the Saenger Theatre in Mobile, AL on April 16.

    Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

    Umphrey’s McGee
    Wanee Music Festival Live Oak, FL
    April 12, 2014

    Set I: Life During Exodus, The Song Remains the Same, Rock the Casbah > Miss You*, Hey 19 > When the World is Running Down You Make the Best of What’s Still Around**, Breathe (dub), A GoGo***, Immigrant Song^, Black Water^, Baba O’Riley, Power of Soul, Cheap Sunglasses

    Enc: Runnin’ With the Devil, I Want You (She’s So Heavy)^^

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,311
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    YES. It was great with lots of guests.....

    John Popper, who is at Wanee with Blues Traveler, emerged four songs into the performance for "Custard Pie" and returned for "Nobody's Fault But Mine." Warren Haynes came out towards the end of the set for "The Ocean" and stuck around for the rest of the performance including takes on "Fool In The Rain," "Ramble On" and "Whole Lotta Love."

    Dumpstaphunk drummer Nikki Glaspie mentioned that Led Zeppelin was among her favorite five bands of all-time and that the group's drummer, John Bonham, was one of her heroes. The New Orleans-based band will reprise their Led Zeppelin tribute later this month at Daze On The Green in Denver and at the Howlin' Wolf in the Crescent City as a Jazz Fest late night on April 25.
    Is that the Neville with the watermelon seed on his face?

    I can't imagine that guy singing Zep tunes

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    heres the setlist:

    Umphrey’s McGee closed down Wanee Music Festival with their first All Night Wrong of the year. The band kicked off the cover-filled set with their Talking Heads/Bob Marley original mashup “Life During Exodus” before delivering UM cover staples in “The Song Remains the Same” and “Rock the Casbah,” a more recent debut.

    The first guest of the night came in the form of Blues Traveler’s John Popper, who added harmonica to The Rolling Stones’ “Miss You.” Previously, UM performed the cover with G. Love, who also added harmonica and vocals to the song. After Steely Dan’s “Hey 19,” Oteil Burbridge sat in for “When the World is Running Down,” a longtime cover in the Umphrey’s repertoire.

    UM’s unique “dub” take on Pink Floyd’s “Breathe” followed before Eric Krasno and Adam Deitch sat in on Scofield’s “A Go Go,” a cover not performed in over a year. Krasno would return for the encore but the final unique guest of the evening was Warren Haynes on “Immigrant Song” and the harmony-laden “Black Water.” Haynes and Umphrey’s normally collaborate when the band appears at Mountain Jam in New York.

    The two song encore included a high energy take on “Runnin’ With the Devil” and the aforementioned Krasno returned for a UM and Soulive staple, “I Want You (She’s So Heavy).” Next up for Umphrey’s is a show at the Saenger Theatre in Mobile, AL on April 16.

    Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

    Umphrey’s McGee
    Wanee Music Festival Live Oak, FL
    April 12, 2014

    Set I: Life During Exodus, The Song Remains the Same, Rock the Casbah > Miss You*, Hey 19 > When the World is Running Down You Make the Best of What’s Still Around**, Breathe (dub), A GoGo***, Immigrant Song^, Black Water^, Baba O’Riley, Power of Soul, Cheap Sunglasses

    Enc: Runnin’ With the Devil, I Want You (She’s So Heavy)^^
    That sounds amazing. Love this band.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    That sounds amazing. Love this band.
    cinniger is easily the best guitarist on tour right now!!! and umphreys might be the most musically talented as well. they've come a very long way since the days of Notre Dame and IU.

  17. #17
    Umphrey's Mcgee.......I just can't get into it at all. Guy's voice is not very good at all. As for their jamming, incredibly talented. Ridiculously talented. But I can't help but get over the whole "here's our jam, and now here it is in the mixophrygilydidorian ascendescending hey that sounds really friggin complicated but unnecessary jams, back to horrible voice to sing some likely meaningless lyrics to fill the time until the next ridiculous over the top hey looks at THESE scales jam!"

    But all the male wanna be guitarists in the world love it, as do the hippy wanna get hammered and high little chickies that were woo'ed by their bf's playing some Dave Matthews on an acoustic for them. Ohhhhhhhh you play guitar, you're so hot here my vagina ooooooh look at the pretty lights I see trails!!!!
    Last edited by Snell41; 04-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Umphrey's Mcgee.......I just can't get into it at all. Guy's voice is not very good at all. As for their jamming, incredibly talented. Ridiculously talented. But I can't help but get over the whole "here's our jam, and now here it is in the mixophrygilydidorian ascendescending hey that sounds really friggin complicated but unnecessary jams, back to horrible voice to sing some likely meaningless lyrics to fill the time until the next ridiculous over the top hey looks at THESE scales jam!"

    But all the male wanna be guitarists in the world love it, as do the hippy wanna get hammered and high little chickies that were woo'ed by their bf's playing some Dave Matthews on an acoustic for them. Ohhhhhhhh you play guitar, you're so hot here my vagina ooooooh look at the pretty lights I see trails!!!!
    boy snell is a hayyyytin. first kiss, now this

    youre right, the vocals are so-so. but the rest is great. you dont have to like progressive jams.....or pretty hippy chicks, or vag, or parties, or scales

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    boy snell is a hayyyytin. first kiss, now this

    youre right, the vocals are so-so. but the rest is great. you dont have to like progressive jams.....or pretty hippy chicks, or vag, or parties, or scales
    Dickie, as I've aged I just require more substance in my music. Not just ridiculously talented skill, but substance and meaning and emotion. I can appreciate a great extended jam, but I need it to take me somewhere, not just be there simply to show how good a guitarist/musician you are. When I was young I loved Phish. Couldn't get enough of it. Seen them countless times. Now? Man I can't even bring myself to listen to 5 minutes of it. Disco Biscuits, Umphrey's, Phish...I mean is there some sort of requirement that to be in the jam band scene you have to sing meaningless songs with a horrible voice? I mean there's plenty of good singer/songwriters out there.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us