Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: With the 29th pick in the 2010 draft, John Idzik Jr. selects ???

  1. #1

    With the 29th pick in the 2010 draft, John Idzik Jr. selects ???

    We still have 25 days to the draft and I am sick of the FA watch so here goes...

    With the 29th pick in the 2010 draft Tanny and the Jets selected Kyle Wilson
    Draft day reviews were good in the honeymoon of T-Rex; ”The rich get richer. Go ahead and try and throw against their secondary. He will be the nickel corner with Revis and Cromartie. They will blitz even more.”

    Seemed to fill a need at CB with Cro learning the system and a pending Revis holdout, but he did not seem like the player they wanted after Rex proclaimed that his brother (then with the Browns) liked Wilson at 7 (smoke screen?)

    Kyle Wilson was the 4th CB taken after; Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson, and Devin McCourty
    and the rest of the 2010 draft “haul” is history
    Vladimir Ducasse
    Joe McKnight
    John Conner

    So the question is what would Idzik have done, who was BPA at 29?

    Kyle Wilson, Taylor Mays, Sergio Kindle, What say you?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,906
    It was a crappy first round that year. This myth that Wilson was somehow a bad pick is pretty hysterical.

    Superstar? No, but not bad considering the other guys that went around there.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    It was a crappy first round that year. This myth that Wilson was somehow a bad pick is pretty hysterical.

    Superstar? No, but not bad considering the other guys that went around there.
    Agree, Wilson is a decent NFL player and I have included the players drafted around him:
    25 Denver Broncos Tim Tebow QB
    26 Arizona Cardinals Dan Williams DT
    27 New England Patriots* Devin McCourty† CB
    28 Miami Dolphins Jared Odrick DT
    29 New York Jets Kyle Wilson CB
    30 Detroit Lions Jahvid Best RB
    31 Indianapolis Colts Jerry Hughes DE
    32 New Orleans Saints Patrick Robinson CB
    33 St. Louis Rams Rodger Saffold OT
    34 Minnesota Vikings Chris Cook CB
    35 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Price DT
    36 Kansas City Chiefs Dexter McCluster† RB
    37 Philadelphia Eagles Nate Allen S
    38 Cleveland Browns T. J. Ward† S
    39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Arrelious Benn WR
    40 Miami Dolphins Koa Misi DE
    41 Buffalo Bills Torell Troup DT
    42 New England Patriots* Rob Gronkowski† TE
    43 Baltimore Ravens Sergio Kindle DE
    44 Oakland Raiders Lamarr Houston DE
    45 Denver Broncos Zane Beadles† OT

    T-Rex was a democracy, Idzik appears to be in charge now so who does he pick?

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    It was a crappy first round that year. This myth that Wilson was somehow a bad pick is pretty hysterical.

    Superstar? No, but not bad considering the other guys that went around there.
    +1

    Then the same regime nails the next first round pick in 2011 with Wilkerson in almost the same exact spot Wilson was drafted the year prior, who was definitely a steal.

    So some can chose to btch about certain picks or they can be realistic and acknowledge the same regime also hit some home runs, and like every other franchise missed on some as well.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    The Draft is a gamble, Tanny was high risk, Idzik seems more conservative

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    +1

    Then the same regime nails the next first round pick in 2011 with Wilkerson in almost the same exact spot Wilson was drafted the year prior, who was definitely a steal.

    So some can chose to btch about certain picks or they can be realistic and acknowledge the same regime also hit some home runs, and like every other franchise missed on some as well.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    I was not trashing the Wilson pick, just a question if we think the different style would yield a different pick

    Maybe Idzik would select Wilson?

  7. #7
    The only other player I could see Idzik taking is Jerry Hughes. He was considered one of the best players available around our pick and was a position of need.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    The only other player I could see Idzik taking is Jerry Hughes. He was considered one of the best players available around our pick and was a position of need.
    Yea, I remember a bunch on JI who really liked Sergio Kindle (who is a now free agent)

    Jets have not drafted a pas rusher on day 1 or 2 since Abe...

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,229
    Seeing as how the Jets #1 and #2 cbs are Milliner, and Walls, this years pick had best be a cb. Even then, i expect a major weakness at the position unless the Jets strike gold with the pick.

  10. #10
    Idzik won't be selecting anyone.

    The Jets Organization will.

    And if this forum is right, they'll draft BAP, regardless of name or position.

    And their BAP, at 18, is impossible to predict.

    So why bother plaing psychic?

    They'll pick who they pick, who they think they need/want/BAP the most.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    The Draft is a gamble, Tanny was high risk, Idzik seems more conservative
    Hes had one draft, without a full slate of picks, we hardly know that he's low risk or high risk at this point.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,757
    I mean, Roger Saffold as your starting RT would be the guy you'd want in hindsight.

  13. #13
    I would've reached fro gronkowski. I seem to recall needing a TE, well imo anyway. But I was pretty upset with the CB pick. I also recall wanting a FS although I can't recall it ever being TJ Ward.

    In any event I thought it was a bad pick and it's still a bad pick. Wilson has done nothing, and is stupid. I don't like stupid.

  14. #14
    I am not sure that draft would have been all that much better. I dont think we would have taken Vlad as early as we did though that was Tanny panicking IMO because OL where flying off the board. Maybe Alex Carrington, LaFell, or Pat Angerer who would have been BPA. That year we wouldnt have traded up for McKnight IMO. Connor I think was Rex's call. What would have made that draft better is pretty much what we could have done with 1 or 2 more late round picks. Imagine Greg Hardy in the 5TH!
    Last edited by Dreamers; 04-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Idzik won't be selecting anyone.

    The Jets Organization will.

    And if this forum is right, they'll draft BAP, regardless of name or position.

    And their BAP, at 18, is impossible to predict.

    So why bother plaing psychic?

    They'll pick who they pick, who they think they need/want/BAP the most.
    Yes and No.

    Yes, there are dozens of key evaluators and input givers.

    No, as in there IS 1 guy with the final decision.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Yes and No.

    Yes, there are dozens of key evaluators and input givers.

    No, as in there IS 1 guy with the final decision.
    Presuption on your part. Neither you nor I know if thats true.

    Beyond that, neither you nor I can be sure that "1 guy" is Idzik.

    Could be Rex. Could be Woody.

    We know what they say publicly, but like the media, almost every word an NFL Organization says publicly is a lie of one kind or another.

    Point being, the "Idzik picks..." is often used to shelter Rex from responsabillity. It's a weak argument in my book when used that way.

    The team picks, the team is responsible. No innocent bystanders, certainly not Rex.

  17. #17
    Wilson was considered by many to be a very good pick at the time. I had no issues with it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Presuption on your part. Neither you nor I know if thats true.

    Beyond that, neither you nor I can be sure that "1 guy" is Idzik.

    Could be Rex. Could be Woody.

    We know what they say publicly, but like the media, almost every word an NFL Organization says publicly is a lie of one kind or another.

    Point being, the "Idzik picks..." is often used to shelter Rex from responsabillity. It's a weak argument in my book when used that way.

    The team picks, the team is responsible. No innocent bystanders, certainly not Rex.
    Whoa where did the Rex aspect come in?

    Just like you said before, neither you nor I know if that's true or tin foil hat conspiracy crap.

    Fully agree that it's the Organization that makes the pick as the entire front office has been planning and scouting this for months.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Hes had one draft, without a full slate of picks, we hardly know that he's low risk or high risk at this point.
    true based on last year but I think this offseason can be considered low risk, he is know/reported to be calculating...

    and we are not talking about CJ2K

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post

    Jets have not drafted a pas rusher on day 1 or 2 since Abe...
    Im shocked. Especially given your handle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us