Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Most underrated player on the Jets roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Ill go with Calvin Pace. Never lived up to that big contract but he's had solid production, and started on a few top-5 defenses. Can't remember the last player that had double-digit sacks for us prior to Pace last season
    Agree especially after what Bart said about him
    Nick Mangold

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Demaryious Thomas plays in a competent offense and I doubt he's even a household name in his own household....same for whoever plays WR in New England
    Thomas is certainly a household name. Are you serious?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Considering the Jets O-line the past 2 years and the fact that he doesn't break long runs, it is.
    Keep those standards high!

Demaryious Thomas plays in a competent offense and I doubt he's even a household name in his own household....same for whoever plays WR in New England
    Come on Demaryius Thomas was the #1 WR on a Super Bowl team. Every actual football fan knows him and would love to have him in their team.

Our most underrated as of right now are:
    1) David Harris - everyone wanted to cut him a year ago when he was injured, but he's healthy now and not making that much.
    2) Bilal Powell - he's not a superstar, but he's a very solid RB and was our best RB for awhile last year.
    3) Kyle Wilson - I ****ing hate him, but he's an OK CB. Almost every Jet fan including me talks about him like he's Vernon Gholston.
    4) Quinton Coples - had he stayed healthy I think he would have shut up a lot of Jets fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    Come on Demaryius Thomas was the #1 WR on a Super Bowl team. Every actual football fan knows him and would love to have him in their team.

Our most underrated as of right now are:
    1) David Harris - everyone wanted to cut him a year ago when he was injured, but he's healthy now and not making that much.
    2) Bilal Powell - he's not a superstar, but he's a very solid RB and was our best RB for awhile last year.
    3) Kyle Wilson - I ****ing hate him, but he's an OK CB. Almost every Jet fan including me talks about him like he's Vernon Gholston.
    4) Quinton Coples - had he stayed healthy I think he would have shut up a lot of Jets fans.
    Tim Tebow is a household name
    Peyton Manning is a household name
    Tom Brady is a household name
    Demaryious Thomas is not a household name

The whole point of a household name is that everyone has heard of them,if your girlfriend/wife/grandmother who doesn't follow the NFL knows who they are then they are a household name.

I would have to say Jeremy Kerley hands down...if he had manning throw him the ball he would put up garçon numbers. Has to go down as one of the better picks by Tannenbaum.

It's hard for me to consider higher draft picks and higher-paid players "underrated" since more is expected of them and there's much more criticism when they make mistakes.

That being said, Bilal Powell and Leger Douzable are two that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Kerley.

If he played in a competent offense, he'd be a household name.
    +1,000 Every season of his career, Kerley has played with downright atrocious QB play. He's a better player then emmanuel sanders, and I hope we have cap space allocated to keep him.

Bilal Powell too - guy isn't a star, but is a VERY solid pro.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    The most underrated player on the roster right now will get a ton of hype once the season starts.

Of course I am talking about our starting quarterback, Michael Vick.
    I definitely agree between our two QBs Vick is the more underrated one, though not ready to anoint him starter yet . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 04-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    The most underrated player on the roster right now will get a ton of hype once the season starts.

Of course I am talking about our starting quarterback, Michael Vick.
    I have ZERO problem with Vick starting. Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Johnson by far. The guy is a future hall of famer and the Jets got him for 4 mil per season. Now I call that underrated!

1st rounders must be top quality players

Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    Yeah I'm with Penny on this one. Wilson's been a mild bust if you ask me. What game was it last year when he kept getting called for personal fouls?

...For a 1st round pick, we have to consider Kyle W. a mild- moderate bust. He's ok as a nickel-- but you can get those guys in later rounds--

remember Ray Mickens..? Kyle's personal fouls ranting almost cost us that game.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Chris Johnson by far. The guy is a future hall of famer and the Jets got him for 4 mil per season. Now I call that underrated!
    CJ is a hall of famer? Really?

DeMaryus Thomas is a top 5 WR in the league. Going in to 2014 he is ranked at #2 as far as expectations for Fantasy Football purposes. I'd think he qualifies as a "household name" at least as far as football fans go.

If Chris Johnson gets in the Hall of Fame I'll eat my shoe. No chance.

Tim Tebow is a household name
    Peyton Manning is a household name
    Tom Brady is a household name
    Demaryious Thomas is not a household name

The whole point of a household name is that everyone has heard of them,if your girlfriend/wife/grandmother who doesn't follow the NFL knows who they are then they are a household name.
    Most of the greatest players in the NFL are not "household names" by that standard. Kerley could play with Peyton, get 150 receptions and 15+TD's for multiple years running and by that standard would still not be a "household name". I think the gist of the original post was more to say that casual NFL fans have not heard of Kerley. That is not true of DeMaryus. Most casual fans are very much aware of DT.

Geno Smith.
    You wanna crap on a guy for being a rookie in a pro offense for the first time of his life with 0 true weapons at all, then you're a bastard.

He's got a better arm, more composure, better foot speed, and better accuracy than Mark Sanchez and is the best QB prospect, from a measurables standpoint, that the Jets have had since Ken O'Brien.

He also made some throws last year early on to Hands Hill that certainly showed some promise. Hopefully this year, if he has some bad games, the coach lets him learn on the job rather than going into a shell like he did against New Orleans since playing hide the QB is no way to build this "sustained success" that Idzik keeps repeating as his mantra.

Runners up are Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen, with Allen being a guy who can really emerge as a very good defensive playmaker for this team to complement the pressure they should generate up front.

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Douzable, Kenrick Ellis, Coples.

Ellis is downright dominant when he plays.

this is the answer and it's not even close....If he can stay healthy he is dominant.

It took two pages for anyone to even mention him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think it's Geno too, half the Jets fans I know are ready to leave this guy in the rear view already, I honestly think he's going to be a solid player for the team, and definitely the starter.