Thread: FWIW..Cimini speculates the Jets are looking at Calvin Pryor as a possible 1st rd pck

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post FWIW..Cimini speculates the Jets are looking at Calvin Pryor as a possible 1st rd pck

The New York Jets have been linked to just about every top receiver in the draft class this year and it’s widely believed that they’ll be spending their first round pick on a target to add to the arsenal for Geno Smith or Michel Vick. But while taking someone like Odell Beckham Jr or Mike Evans is a really good idea, so too might be taking a safety.

Jets beat writer Rich Cimini took a look at the Jets possibilities when it comes to their first-round selection and mentioned that taking a safety, while unconventional, could make a ton of sense.
    Per ESPNNewYork:

They’re showing interest in projected first-rounder Calvin Pryor, scheduled for a pre-draft visit, but you have to wonder if the former Louisville star fits the profile of what they need. In college, he was a sledgehammer, not a ballhawk - and the Jets need a ballhawk. Pryor is believed to be a 1-A/B option with Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as the best safety in the draft class. Some even have him as the stand alone best safety in the draft and given the need the Jets have in their secondary, he’s far from a bad choice.
    New York will have a big decision when it comes to who they will draft in the first round and it’s clear that no decision has been made.
    Topics: Calvin Pryor, New York Jets, NFL Draft 2014

http://fansided.com/2014/04/18/nfl-d...-round/#!ENUJ3

I don't particularly believe the Jets will take a safety in the 1st round but I thought it was interesting none the less.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-18-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Talented prospect but he's either a penalty or injury waiting to happen if he carries on into the NFL the way he played in college IMO

Speculates lol theres going out on a limb. yeah no doubt he is on their short list.

Who we take at 18 is anybody's guess, but they should stay true to their board. You don't draft need, you take the best available player.

Dereck carr please

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Who we take at 18 is anybody's guess, but they should stay true to their board. You don't draft need, you take the best available player.
    Yep, totally agree with this & I believe thats exactly what Idzik will do.

The Geno Smith selection in the 2nd round last year was a shining example of that.

But when Idzick drafted 3 OL after the 2nd round in last years draft, it looked to me as though he was drafting on need, although it is hard to differentiate value in later rounds especially between different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by wskelly View Post
    But when Idzick drafted 3 OL after the 2nd round in last years draft, it looked to me as though he was drafting on need, although it is hard to differentiate value in later rounds especially between different positions.
    Winter was a drop on most boards. He was actually ranked 3rd among RTs as a G it was a good drop but he need to learn a new spot. I think he was very much BPA and there was a lot of talk of Campbells potential. We got good value on all 3 really. WE needed OL depth and your not getting ready starting OL in mid rounds. Heck your not getting them in the 1st most of the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Yep, totally agree with this & I believe thats exactly what Idzik will do.

The Geno Smith selection in the 2nd round last year was a shining example of that.
    Would you draft Aaron Donald, DT, at 18?

Quote Originally Posted by wskelly View Post
    I like the "Parcells approach" in the later rounds, goal is to fix a position of need, draft two or three prospects and hopefully you have a winner after the competition

We have no secondary outside of Milliner who really didn't come on until the last 4 games of last season. We absolutely need a DB at 18 unless you want the 32nd ranked pass D next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I like the "Parcells approach" in the later rounds, goal is to fix a position of need, draft two or three prospects and hopefully you have a winner after the competition
    We did that already last year with Safety. We drafted Bush and Allen. Bush is a nothing and Allen is a JAG.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    We have no secondary outside of Milliner who really didn't come on until the last 4 games of last season. We absolutely need a DB at 18 unless you want the 32nd ranked pass D next year.
    I'm slowly coming around on the idea that, all things being equal, the Jets will lean towards the secondary at #18. This could be a S or a CB and guys like Gilbert, Dennard, Pryor and Clinton-Dix seem to be the most worthy of a Top 20 pick.

While I really want to see a new dimension added to the offense with a speedy, gamechanging type WR like a Cooks or a Beckham I could probably stomach going with a defensive back (for the second year in a row!) in Round 1. The depth of WR in this draft makes it easier to do that as I think there will still be talented, deep threat WRs in Round 2 and 3. BUT, we have to be prepared for less of a "can't miss" prospect when we take a WR in a later round. The risk goes up and you're getting guys with some warts or imperfections in their game. We've felt this pain with Stephen Hill.....great size, speed, etc. but it hasn't translated to success at the pro level. Hill was a 2nd rounder who most people agreed was a very good prospect who simply played in a college offense that was more run-oriented. Hill should have been a #2 WR on this team by now but it hasn't happened and this is the season where we'll find out if he's going to stick in the NFL I believe. Thus, if we're planning to go DB in Round 1 and find a potential starting WR in Rounds 2 or 3, we need to accept the fact that this may not work again. Or, we hedge our bet by throwing more draft picks at the problem and take at least 2 WRs in the first 4 rounds, giving us a greater chance that at least one of them sticks!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-23-2014 at 12:10 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Speculates lol theres going out on a limb. yeah no doubt he is on their short list.
    LOL. Speculates = Lurks around on this forum, sees what some posters have been saying and then "writes" a story for the paper.

I saw the espn sports science that had Darqueze Dennard on the same plane athletically with Cro & Peterson.
    What that really means who the hell knows but they had Ron Rivera on there & he said teams are looking at these sports science things to get more info on a prospect.
    The 2 really interesting prospects after watching were Ebron & Ford.
    Ebron had even a higher pass catching radius than Gronk. Ford tested out as high as Demarcus Ware & Von Miller!
    Don't sleep on Dee Ford being the Jets pick at 18! Sometimes you can't just look at things in a vacuum & say "he's a late one", what the hell does that mean?
    If he gets picked at 22 or 29 & turns into a freaking beast what do you say then? Oh well, most people thought he was a late one.
    Stupid thinking if you ask me.
    If you need a true pass rusher, you take the guy that was all production in college & you don't look back. Something tells me Dee Ford will really make a name for himself & I love his confidence.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I saw the espn sports science that had Darqueze Dennard on the same plane athletically with Cro & Peterson.
    What that really means who the hell knows but they had Ron Rivera on there & he said teams are looking at these sports science things to get more info on a prospect.
    The 2 really interesting prospects after watching were Ebron & Ford.
    Ebron had even a higher pass catching radius than Gronk. Ford tested out as high as Demarcus Ware & Von Miller!
    Don't sleep on Dee Ford being the Jets pick at 18! Sometimes you can't just look at things in a vacuum & say "he's a late one", what the hell does that mean?
    If he gets picked at 22 or 29 & turns into a freaking beast what do you say then? Oh well, most people thought he was a late one.
    Stupid thinking if you ask me.
    If you need a true pass rusher, you take the guy that was all production in college & you don't look back. Something tells me Dee Ford will really make a name for himself & I love his confidence.
    I'm not getting all of the Dee Ford love going around. Guy is a one trick/one move pony that screams Maybin version 2. I wouldn't take him in the third round, let alone at 18 overall.

Jets Insider VIP
    I am willing to bet that more than half the players that come in for visits to NFL teams, are guys they have no significant interest in--but rather, want to take a closer look just in case their board collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm slowly coming around on the idea that, all things being equal, the Jets will lean towards the secondary at #18. This could be a S or a CB and guys like Gilbert, Dennard, Pryor and Clinton-Dix seem to be the most worthy of a Top 20 pick.

While I really want to see a new dimension added to the offense with a speedy, gamechanging type WR like a Cooks or a Beckham I could probably stomach going with a defensive back (for the second year in a row!) in Round 1. The depth of WR in this draft makes it easier to do that as I think there will still be talented, deep threat WRs in Round 2 and 3. BUT, we have to be prepared for less of a "can't miss" prospect when we take a WR in a later round. The risk goes up and you're getting guys with some warts or imperfections in their game. We've felt this pain with Stephen Hill.....great size, speed, etc. but it hasn't translated to success at the pro level. Hill was a 2nd rounder who most people agreed was a very good prospect who simply played in a college offense that was more run-oriented. Hill should have been a #2 WR on this team by now but it hasn't happened and this is the season where we'll find out if he's going to stick in the NFL I believe. Thus, if we're planning to go DB in Round 1 and find a potential starting WR in Rounds 2 or 3, we need to accept the fact that this may not work again. Or, we hedge our bet by throwing more draft picks at the problem and take at least 2 WRs in the first 4 rounds, giving us a greater chance that at least one of them sticks!
    In the last two seasons we have lost both our starting CBs one of which was the best in the NFL (at that time). We have mediocre at best players at Safety. This secondary was bad last year and it could get even worse if we just take the laissez faire approach and draft some WR who probably doesn't even end up starting next season at 18.