Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniform question

Uniform question

Before anyone throws any objects my way, I want to make it clear that I like the current logo and look of the team.

However, should the Jets consider the old kelly green and whites w/flying Jets logo?

I'm talking late 70's/and 80's here. Anyone?

I miss those unis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    Before anyone throws any objects my way, I want to make it clear that I like the current logo and look of the team.

However, should the Jets consider the old kelly green and whites w/flying Jets logo?

I'm talking late 70's/and 80's here. Anyone?

I miss those unis.

I like the current uni, well.. not the crappy way Nike makes it... but I also would like the 80's uni brought back as a throwback. I believe the issue is that when using throwbacks, the NFL now bans changing helmets. So they would have to wear the same helmets as they currently do if they did a throwback and that would defeat the purpose.

Not positive I am correct on that NFL rule or exactly why it is in place. I am assuming safety reasons.

The Pats (&#128548 use white hats as their alternate. Why can't we have the kelly green and white? No?

Jets Insider VIP
    The new rule went into effect last year.

NFL safety committees told teams not to wear throwback helmets
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT

The news that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won’t wear their Bucco Bruce throwback helmets comes a month after two NFL safety committees concluded that throwback helmets are a bad idea.

The league office passed along to PFT a memo that was sent to the clubs in August, saying that when throwback uniforms are worn, helmets should not be changed.

“Our Head, Neck, and Spine Committee, chaired by Drs. Hunt Batjer and Richard Ellenbogen, and the Player Safety Advisory Panel, chaired by John Madden and Ronnie Lott, have recommended that players no longer wear different helmets as part of a ‘Throwback’ or ‘Third’ uniform,” the memo from the league office said. “Our office supports this change and has reviewed it with the chairman of our Health and Safety ownership committee, Dr. John York, who concurs with this recommendation.”

The league office told all teams planning to wear throwback uniforms this season that players must wear their regular helmets on throwback dates. The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, but the helmet itself must stay the same. Once players have properly fitted helmets that they’re comfortable wearing, the NFL doesn’t want them changing helmets during the season just for appearances.

We’re told that some teams aren’t yet sure whether to go ahead with plans to wear throwback uniforms. The Cowboys, for instance, planned to wear their throwbacks with white helmets on Thanksgiving, and it’s not yet known whether they will blend throwback jerseys with regular helmets, or just scrap the throwback uniforms entirely.

What a stupid rule by the league. I believe we were gearing up to start wearing our 80s throwbacks as well...there were rumors about it a couple years back, and it's also included in madden as our "2012 throwback."

It's not like players necessarily keep the same helmets throughout the year anyway. Changing to an identically structured helmet with a different logo is no different than adding a "decal", which is allowed.

It's all appearances at this point, so that when the next round of lawsuits come the NFL can point to this (and eliminating kickoffs, and targeting penalties, etc) and say LOOK we're doing something! Empty posturing, and it's starting to hurt not just the pageantry but the structure of the game.

It would be cool to see green helmets once again.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

The only reason the teams change uniforms is to get fans to spend more more. Second this team, although it's been a few years since they've made the playoffs seem to be moving forward/upward.I say forget the old JETS losing ways and keep going forward..

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Just win baby!

That was a great season - I was at that wild card game.

I hope this rule changes and the 80s era of Jets uniform sees the light of day. Unless there is data to support a helmet switch during the season causes substantial problems it seems arbitrary and over the top. Same with the idea that the Jets should wear a throwback uniform that was only used in the first 3 mediocre years of the franchise.

One bad idea on top of another one.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    The new rule went into effect last year.

NFL safety committees told teams not to wear throwback helmets
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT

The news that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won’t wear their Bucco Bruce throwback helmets comes a month after two NFL safety committees concluded that throwback helmets are a bad idea.

The league office passed along to PFT a memo that was sent to the clubs in August, saying that when throwback uniforms are worn, helmets should not be changed.

“Our Head, Neck, and Spine Committee, chaired by Drs. Hunt Batjer and Richard Ellenbogen, and the Player Safety Advisory Panel, chaired by John Madden and Ronnie Lott, have recommended that players no longer wear different helmets as part of a ‘Throwback’ or ‘Third’ uniform,” the memo from the league office said. “Our office supports this change and has reviewed it with the chairman of our Health and Safety ownership committee, Dr. John York, who concurs with this recommendation.”

The league office told all teams planning to wear throwback uniforms this season that players must wear their regular helmets on throwback dates. The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, but the helmet itself must stay the same. Once players have properly fitted helmets that they’re comfortable wearing, the NFL doesn’t want them changing helmets during the season just for appearances.

We’re told that some teams aren’t yet sure whether to go ahead with plans to wear throwback uniforms. The Cowboys, for instance, planned to wear their throwbacks with white helmets on Thanksgiving, and it’s not yet known whether they will blend throwback jerseys with regular helmets, or just scrap the throwback uniforms entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I hope this rule changes and the 80s era of Jets uniform sees the light of day. Unless there is data to support a helmet switch during the season causes substantial problems it seems arbitrary and over the top. Same with the idea that the Jets should wear a throwback uniform that was only used in the first 3 mediocre years of the franchise.

One bad idea on top of another one.
    The fact that the Jets' throwbacks have them using a different team name, which is currently used by another franchise, is so "Jet-like"..... Thank God at one point they were never called the New York Raiders....

So problem solved, The new rule states, "The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, but the helmet itself must stay the same."

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    The fact that the Jets' throwbacks have them using a different team name, which is currently used by another franchise, is so "Jet-like"..... Thank God at one point they were never called the New York Raiders....

The chiefs wore a throwback uniform that used a different team name that is currently being used by another franchise as well. Are they also "jet-like"?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Current uni's are perfect.

Want to wear the 70's outfit for one game instead of NY Titans gear, that is fine by me.

Team should issue the throwback helmet to the player during camp, he can wear it in practice and
    if adjustments need to be made they have time and he can tweak it if necessary, I would love to see the
    Jets wear the Namath era uniform, and maybe come out with the 80's goon uniform at some point, it would
    be great if they did unannounced for big home game against the Pats. Also would like to get that Ridell Jets long
    winter coat they made in the 80's, Anyone know where to get one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    The chiefs wore a throwback uniform that used a different team name that is currently being used by another franchise as well. Are they also "jet-like"?
    Also, the TN Titans wear Houston Oilers uniforms for their throwbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIROJET-WPB View Post
    So problem solved, The new rule states, "The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, but the helmet itself must stay the same."
    This rule is awful. Teams should fit their players for two helmets so that throwbacks will not disappear from the game.

Goodell strikes again.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Brick is it at Starbucks in Short Hills Mall standing next to me.

Love goddell makes this move but colleges have 50 different helmets every year

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Love goddell makes this move but colleges have 50 different helmets every year

The NCAA didn't shell out a billion dollars because of head injuries. This may be a stupid rule, but league needs to protect themselves. So seemingly silly rules like this are being put in to show that they are doing "something" to protect players.