Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: " Jets put Geno Smith's future at risk " ? ? ?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    true !..we have not yet determined if geno " has it "...hopefully, we'll find out soon
    He has it, question is will he be able to develop and will it be enough?

Hall Of Fame
    Geno Smith believes he's still the Jets' starting QB

When Eric Decker and Chris Johnson signed with the New York Jets, their roles in the offense seemed clear.

Decker is the No. 1 wide receiver. Johnson is the lightning to Chris Ivory's thunder. These were sensible plug-ins that left little room for interpretation.

But what about Michael Vick? The veteran quarterback ostensibly was signed to provide a legitimate veteran presence behind second-year starter Geno Smith. But should we believe Vick's destiny is as a backup in New York?

In a meeting with reporters at the start of offseason workouts, Smith spoke with confidence about his place with the Jets. He said he's watched game tape of his 25-turnover rookie season "over and over and over ... as painful as it is."

Asked if he feels like he's still the Jets' starter, he answered, "Yes."

"With the experience I've gained," Smith told the New York Daily News, "I feel like I'm more than capable of being the starter."

Smith continues to say the right things about Vick's presence in the building.

"I look forward to working with him," Smith said. "I look forward to competing with him as well.

"He's a veteran with tons of experience. ... He's played in many big games ... but I look forward to learning from him."

Smith came out of general manager John Idzik's first draft with the team, so consider it a surprise if Smith isn't given every opportunity to retain the starting job entering the season. The bigger question is how much patience Smith has earned.

We can't imagine it will be much.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ts-starting-qb

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    I can say that for Geno, can't I? He hasn't been given a shot with an NFL caliber offense yet..

Yeah, it's not that Tebow stinks at QB.. It's because his "name" is big. Ok. Bill Belichick doesn't even want him on his roster but it's because the "name" is "big"
    maybe tebow was to honest and wouldn't succomb to the cheaters ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    THAT's it ! !

Vick signing was such a dumb move. When you have two qbs you really have 0. We should have just drafted a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Vick signing was such a dumb move. When you have two qbs you really have 0. We should have just drafted a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    That is such a dumb line when used in every situation. Guess the Cowboys had 0 QBs with Staubach and Morton. SF with Montana and Young? The Pats with Bledsoe and Brady? The Pack with Favre and Rodgers? The Chargers with Bree's and Rivers?

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame
    fyi...

~ ~ The New York Jets don’t have full confidence in Geno Smith going into his second season in the league, but the formerly top-rated QB in the 2013 NFL Draft class will get a chance to make more strides next year. Smith started the season with plenty of mistakes and turnovers, but he did a good job of never losing confidence and became more poised as the season continued. A good scrambler, Smith could be the answer if he can cut down on his mistakes, and the key thing is learning when to take shots and how to use timing and anticipation to hit short and intermediate routes before the play muddles.

Since the Jets don’t have 100% confidence in Smith at this point in time, they were wise to bring in talented-but-oft-injured veteran signal-caller Michael Vick this offseason. Vick is a quality starting quarterback when healthy, and he and Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg share a strong connection that goes back to their days together with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Draft insider Tony Pauline reports that not only did the Jets recently send their quarterbacks coach to Clemson to work out Tajh Boyd, but head coach Rex Ryan “really likes” the projected late-round passer. The Jets could bring Boyd in as their third-string quarterback, and I wouldn’t be opposed to the move. It sounds like the Jets organization as a whole is high on Boyd, who has issues with accuracy, decision-making, read progressions, and mechanics but is a solid scrambler with a good downfield arm and plenty of coachability. I’m not a fan of Boyd and have him slapped with a seventh-round grade, but I could see him being a decent pick for the Jets late on the final day of the draft. Since they have three compensatory sixth-round picks, it makes plenty of sense for the Jets to take a flier on him then, especially since Ryan and the organization like him.

> http://nflspinzone.com/2014/04/25/re...kes-tajh-boyd/

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    please merge with the kelly superthread.

thankee.
    oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    It's important to have threads like this, where girls can whine about other girls.

madonn'

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I am sick of these dumb ass reporters trying to make a name for themselves by putting down everything the Jets seem to do. This lady is simply trying to make a negative out of a good signing by the Jets. Who should of the Jets signed to be their 2nd QB ? someone that is absolutely no threat to Geno Smith like maybe bring back Mark Brunell. This lady should be fired for this article. All the sudden the Jets have some talent and potential but its gonna hurt Geno's development - I just don't buy it. All the sudden the Jets might have real playoff potential but don't bring in Vick - because Vick might lead the Jets to the playoffs - but that will hurt Geno. I don't give a rats ass who starts as long as the starter gives the Jets the better chance to win. If its Vick then Geno better improve so he can beat him out next year. If its Geno then fine - go win some games. This reporter sukks!
    We had that conversation the week Vick signed. The idea that Vick could upset the apple cart by "winning TC" was discussed quite a bit; it's the elephant in the room, Joe.

Bewildered Beast
    From wiki:

Foley suffered from depression after losing his starting job to Vinny Testaverde and being traded to the Seattle Seahawks.[8]

EDIT: ...and jets fans suffered depression in the resulting Mirer. Just when things were beginning to Lucas up; the season ended.

whoa
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 04-26-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Try telling that to the 49'ers who had Montana and Young or the Giants that won a bowl with their backup QB Jeff Hostetler..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    oh boy

It's important to have threads like this, where girls can whine about other girls.

madonn'

We had that conversation the week Vick signed. The idea that Vick could upset the apple cart by "winning TC" was discussed quite a bit; it's the elephant in the room, Joe.
    exactly ! !..by the way, i asked one of my guy-friends why gay guys don't like girls...he said, " because girls use too many paper products ".

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    Tebow sucked, it's time you accept that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Tebow sucked, it's time you accept that.
    tebow is NOT an NFL qb..Seriously.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    please merge with the kelly superthread.

thankee.

...so , how does this make YOU feel ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    The New York Jets may not have identified their starting quarterback, but as far as LeSean McCoy is concerned, Michael Vick is an easy choice over Geno Smith.

McCoy, speaking Monday at a Philadelphia Eagles charity event, told the New York Post that Vick is "way better" than Smith and should be the Jets' starter in 2014.

tbd
    Geoff Burke/USA TODAY SportsLeSean McCoy, who was Michael Vick's teammate in Philadelphia for five years, said the veteran quarterback should start for the Jets over Geno Smith.

"Vick is going to be the starting quarterback this year," McCoy told the Post. "He's way better than Geno Smith. Way better. That's no contest."

Coach Rex Ryan has said the team signed Vick to push Smith, a diplomatic way of saying the Jets are not completely sold on the second-year player.

Smith said last week during the Jets' offseason program that he is confident he'll remain the starter.

Vick, however, has four years of background in offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's offense thanks to their time together with the Eagles, which could give him an edge in the competition.

But the 33-year-old Vick appeared in just seven games last season and has been plagued by injuries since returning to the NFL in 2009. McCoy acknowledged that his former teammate will have to stay healthy to maintain an edge over Smith.

"[Vick's health is] the big question, and that's the only thing," McCoy told the Post. "The thing here was, he didn't lose his job. He just got hurt and lost his job to injury. But as far as who's the better quarterback, he's way better than Geno Smith. That's obvious."

McCoyVick is going to be the [Jets'] starting quarterback this year. He's way better than Geno Smith. Way better. That's no contest.
    ” -- LeSean McCoy, to the New York Post

McCoy told the paper that Vick would be a positive influence for the Jets, citing the veteran quarterback's leadership during last year's controversy after Eagles receiver Riley Cooper was caught on video using a racial slur.

"He'll definitely be a leader in the locker room," McCoy said. "Who smoothed over a lot of that Riley Cooper incident? Mike Vick -- a great player who's been through some negative moments and is now positive about it. He's a great [veteran], and he'll help the team out in that way."

Smith started every game last season, helping the Jets to a surprising 8-8 record, but he was wildly inconsistent over the first 12 games.

The Jets cut Mark Sanchez (who later signed with Philadelphia) in late March and promptly signed Vick to a one-year, $4 million contract. Vick has referred to Smith as the starter, but the coaching staff hasn't made any pronouncements.

"I respect what Mike said, but I understand there's a competition," Smith said last week. "It comes down to what we do on the field."

> http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story...ter-geno-smith

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    exactly ! !..by the way, i asked one of my guy-friends why gay guys don't like girls...he said, " because girls use too many paper products ".

Yeah the same reason why girls don't like other girls.

Hall Of Fame
    Unlike LeSean McCoy, ESPN analyst Jon Gruden doesn't have a strong feeling about who will prevail in the New York Jets' quarterback competition. In a conference call Tuesday with reporters, Gruden was non-committal on Geno Smith versus Michael Vick, although he suspects Smith would be the Week 1 starter if it's a close battle.

"I wish I could answer that," Gruden said. "It's a two-horse race. It might be a photo finish. You might have to ask me this after we see the preseason. I have no idea, just because Michael Vick has an association with Marty Mornhinweg. I do like what Geno Smith did as a freshman ... er, rookie quarterback in the NFL. He had a rocky beginning -- he had some rough outings -- but he showed some mental and physical toughness. I think he improved. I like the youth at the quarterback position that has experience. I think if it's close, I think the tie goes to the second-year player."

Just for kicks, I asked Gruden what the Jets should do if, by chance, Johnny Manziel falls to them."If Johnny Manziel is there at 18, I'll give you my cell phone number and I'll take you out to a steak dinner," Gruden said.

Now there's a medium-rare opportunity.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-close-to-call

Hall Of Fame
    Mornhinweg : No QB controversy

When the New York Jets begin OTA practices in a few weeks, Geno Smith will get most of the first-team reps at quarterback, not Michael Vick.

It's a potential quarterback controversy, but offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg doesn't see it that way. He expects a harmonious competition.

"I think this thing will work beautifully," Mornhinweg said Tuesday, speaking to reporters for the first time since Vick signed last month. "I expect Geno to progress at a high rate with Mike's help. It's just that simple."

Mornhinweg was careful not to define the players' current or future roles, but he made it clear the organization's objective is to help Smith continue the progress he showed at the end of last season.

Geno Smith, not Michael Vick, will get first-team reps when the Jets start OTAs.
    Reading between the lines, it means the Jets hope Smith is good enough in the preseason to retain his job. Without calling Smith the starter, Mornhinweg said the second-year quarterback will be the first behind center, but it will vary on a daily basis.

"We're going to structure it a certain way," Mornhinweg said. "One thing I want to make sure of is that nothing impedes the young quarterback's progression. I'm talking about Geno. He progressed beautifully, and I'm talking the last quarter of the season. He played at a high level. "

Smith said last week he expects to be the opening-day quarterback. While hopeful that he will continue his ascent, the Jets aren't sold on him as their long-term answer. He was wildly inconsistent through his first 12 starts as a rookie. That's why they signed Vick, who worked under Mornhinweg with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Upon signing a one-year, $4 million contract, Vick conceded the starting job belongs to Smith as of now. Mornhinweg wouldn't put it that way, at least not in so many words.

"We brought Mike in to compete, to push Geno and to make Geno the very best he can be," Mornhinweg said.

At least one of Mornhinwg's former players doesn't agree. On Monday, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy told the New York Post that Vick is "way better" than Smith and will be the opening-day starter.

Mornhinweg tried to make light of McCoy's comments.

"I like LeSean, LeSean is one of my favorites" he said. "He had a good day media-wise, didn't he? Sounds like it."

This will be a highly scrutinized competition, and every comment will be magnified. The Jets experienced a similar situation last summer, when it was Smith and Mark Sanchez, who was replaced by Vick. Smith won by default, when Sanchez suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the preseason.

Vick enjoyed his best season, 2010, when Mornhinweg was the Eagles' offensive coordinator, but he has suffered from durability and turnover issues, losing his job to Nick Foles last season after a hamstring injury.

Mornhinweg said he expects a "seamless transition" for Vick because he already knows the system.

"He's 33 years old and he's still got it," Mornhinweg said. "I look at him as a young 33; he's still got it. He's going to compete hard, he's going to push, he's going to make Geno and the rest of the quarterbacks the very best they can be. When he's called upon to play, I've got great confidence in Mike."

The Jets' offense, which finished 31st in scoring, will have a different look. The team signed two high-profile free agents, wide receiver Eric Decker and running back Chris Johnson.

"What a great player," Mornhinweg said of Johnson. "He's certainly electric, dynamic. He has speed."

Johnson rushed for a career-low 3.9 yards per carry last season with the Tennessee Titans. Mornhinweg believes it was partly due to a torn-cartilage injury, which occurred in Week 3. His hope is that Johnson and Decker can add to the foundation the Jets set last season.

"Last year was quite possibly the start of something special," Mornhinweg said.

> http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story...rk-beautifully

Hall Of Fame
    Ever since the signing of Michael Vick, many have taken their turn to put in their two cents about who should start at quarterback for the Jets when the new season opens. LeSean McCoy went so far to basically say that there shouldn’t even be a competition, based on how much better Vick is than Geno Smith.

It’s irrelevant, but it is what he said.

Jets’ Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is taking the more appropriate, conservative approach when asked about the situation. As he should be, Geno Smith looks to be the first man up as the competition begins:

“We brought Mike in to compete, to push Geno, and to make Geno the very best he can make him and I want to make sure Mike was ready for that,” Mornhinweg said during a Tuesday conference call. “I had Mike for a year with Donovan (McNabb) there (in Philadelphia). I think this thing is going to work beautifully.”

Thanks to especially the last four games, Marty is happy with how the process is going with Smith:

“One thing I want to make sure of (is) that nothing impedes the young quarterback’s progression,” Mornhinweg said. “I’m talking about Geno. He progressed beautifully in the last quarter of the season. (He) played winning quarterback, played at a high level, two turnovers in the last four games. So you got to give him a lot of credit now.”

He wouldn’t admit that Smith starts the camp with the job, saying only that Smith will get “a few more reps” than Michael Vick, but not many.

Whether or not the Jets admit this, having Geno start the off-season with the number one status is the way to go.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to protect Geno again, the way they protected Mark for all of these years. Far from it. John Idzik has made his point, that competition is healthy, and that the team will be all the better for it.

That being said, it doesn’t mean you can’t go into training camp with players at specific levels on the depth chart. Geno Smith earned that in the fourth quarter of the 2013 season. He finally protected the football like he was supposed to, and gave a lot of doubters some hope. Was it enough to guarantee him the job? No. Was it enough that he should start camp as the starter? Absolutely.

It’s also in the best interest of the John Idzik legacy for the Geno Smith draft choice to work. Bringing in another QB right after the Tebow disaster took guts. If that were to turn out not to work, it won’t look to favorable for Idzik and the Jets. When a general manager makes a choice of a quarterback to be the face of the team, it’s in his best interest that it works out.

The result will not be good in the long-term if Michael Vick wins the job. It will make an exciting 2014, but the growth of the team will be stunted. We want to see Smith keep this job.

> http://thejetpress.com/2014/04/30/ge...g-quarterback/