Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TE will not be an early selection for the Jets in this draft.

TE will not be an early selection for the Jets in this draft.

On virtually every mock draft I read people have the Jets drafting a TE in the 2nd, 3rd or even 1st round. This is not going to happen. IMO this position is already filled on this team. Whether or not there was much production from our TEs last year is irrelevant. That speaks more to the QB than anything else. I find it real hard to judge receivers/TEs when you have a rookie QB or Sanchez throwing them the ball. Having said that, I do believe we are weak at the WR position despite Geno and that's where our first round pick will be. Second round pick will be either DB or OL. If they go TE it won't be until the 5th or later for depth purposes only.

So the Jets bringing in Amaro ,Seferian Jenkins, Fideorwicz , Niklas for official Visits is a Smoke Screen . A NFL Team has only have 30 official Visits this aint a Smoke Screen Jets are getting a TE between Rounds 2-3 .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    So the Jets bringing in Amaro ,Seferian Jenkins, Fideorwicz , Niklas for official Visits is a Smoke Screen . A NFL Team has only have 30 official Visits this aint a Smoke Screen Jets are getting a TE between Rounds 2-3 .
    I could live with a 2d or a 3d but I don't want to spend a 1st on a TE.

I believe that the 1st round pick will be a defensive player (BPA situation), unless someone notable drops.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
    On virtually every mock draft I read people have the Jets drafting a TE in the 2nd, 3rd or even 1st round. This is not going to happen. IMO this position is already filled on this team. Whether or not there was much production from our TEs last year is irrelevant. That speaks more to the QB than anything else. I find it real hard to judge receivers/TEs when you have a rookie QB or Sanchez throwing them the ball. Having said that, I do believe we are weak at the WR position despite Geno and that's where our first round pick will be. Second round pick will be either DB or OL. If they go TE it won't be until the 5th or later for depth purposes only.
    TE position is filled? With Cumberland, Sudfeld and Pantale? I would like to see us get a guy like ASJ or Amaro in the 2nd or Nicklas in the 3rd.

I like the some of these TEs but we have a more pressing needs at WR and DB. Our defensive backfield is being held together by chewing gum right now. There is not one DB who is unquestionable at his position.

I like the some of these TEs but we have a more pressing needs at WR and DB. Our defensive backfield is being held together by chewing gum right now. There is not one DB who is unquestionable at his position.
    TE is our most pressing need. We really dont have one TE on the roster that would even make the #2 spot on any other team. It was our most glaring weakness last year. They cant block, catch, or even run the same play as the rest of the team at times. It is embarrassing IMO. Yeah not a prime position but it we dont draft at least 2 TE by the 5th round Ill be absolutely shocked. TE is a much weaker spot then CB, WR, RB, ILB, OLB or G right now. The only position I see as more dire is maybe S but we actually have some OK roster guys there. If Cumby is stating week 1 we are in serious trouble because he wouldnt play on some HS teams he is that bad.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I believe that the 1st round pick will be a defensive player (BPA situation), unless someone notable drops.
    really taking a risk with that prediction - LOL

The depth at TE is very weak. You might as well not bother picking a TE if you're going to not take one till the 5th or later IMO.

Cool Absolutism........ is a virtue...?

So, Mr. Waterboy, you are absolutely, positively sure about this , are you not.?

Personally, it would not surprise me if Jets go WR and CB in the early rounds--- may reserve the 5th- 6th rounds for

a possible sleeper TE like Crockett Gilmore of Colorado St. We have been burned before by taking TE early-- if you are old enuf to

remember Kyle Brady of Penn State taken in 1st round. ( a very bad selection, in hindsight)
    Lets just hope for the best and try to get some game breaker types at the skills positions.

All Pro
    I happen to agree, but that's just me.

Jets Insider VIP
    I absolutely expect the Jets to draft a TE within the first 3 rounds.

How exactly is the position filled?

We have a marginal backup in Cumberland and a project in Sudfeld.

The Jets making a strong push to sign Pettigrew last month coupled with their seemingly strong interest in Amaro leads me to believe that Idzik definitely isn't content with the position.

I personally don't want anything to do with Ebron and hope that he's gone by the time #18 rolls around. But I'm a huge Amaro fan and I really like Niklas and Fiedorowicz. I'm iffy on Seferian-Jenkins.

One of those guys will be Jets in the 2nd or 3rd IMO.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-20-2014 at 04:47 PM.

CB, Safety, and OLB are more pressing needs than TE. If we draft a WR in the 1st, is TE really a priority over those defensive positions. There's only one football to throw to a receiver. We have CJ, Cooks, Decker, and Kerley. That's enough weapons to get the job done and put points up.

All Pro
    Show me the 1st 17 picks and I will tell you what I think the Jets should do at 18. What they do, is what they do, but I will tell you who I think they should pick before they make the pick.

History will dictate what is to become of my pick. When the Jets drafted Vernon Gholston I wanted to take Keith Rivers and move him inside at LBer. I wanted Cutler instead of Ferguson . Last yr, i was seriously unprepared for what transpired and didn't have a clue what to do, but i knew i didn't want Milliner. I still don't know why the Jets didn't just trade down and regroup.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 04-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I still don't know why the Jets didn't just trade down and regroup.
    1- trading down requires a dance partner.

2- there was, what some called, a top 5 talent still on the board in milliner

All Pro
    Welcome to the board....and oh yeah, glad you are not the GM.....

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    really taking a risk with that prediction - LOL
    Some people believe that they will take a WR regardless of who's left.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Welcome to the board....and oh yeah, glad you are not the GM.....
    C'mon CanadaSteve... Taking a little shot at me on resurrection Sunday? God bless brother!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    I could live with a 2d or a 3d but I don't want to spend a 1st on a TE.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jets will go BPA in the 1st round (and throughout the draft) and the chances of the best player available at pick #18 being a TE is zero.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-20-2014 at 09:36 PM.

I want Niklas in the 3rd if he's still around. Big strong very young guy that we can mold into Zac balanced TE.
    We already have pass catching TEs in Cumby & Sudfeld.
    Sudfeld looked really good in the Pats preseason games, BB used him as an example when he put him on the practice squad for making a couple of mistakes & the Jets swooped in & stole him.
    I'm actually very interested to see how Sudfeld develops in an NFL environment. If he gets stronger in the weight room without losing his speed, he'd be a very dangerous TE in the redzone.