Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets "really like" Ebron

Veteran

Jets "really like" Ebron

via ESPNNY: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ss-star-search

i don't think i'd hate Ebron at 18. i'm so undecided because the draft is so deep. just when i got into the idea of OBJ/Cooks in 1 and Amaro 2, i go back to liking Ebron in 1, Matthews/Robinson 2.

the draft needs to get here already!!!

All Pro
    Lots of sources claim he's an indifferent blocker. Even if he's a good receiver, is that really worth the 18th pick for a TE?

All Pro
    This is about the only pick that would bother me. You don't spend this high a 1st round pick on a 3rd rate TE.

This would be an atrocity of a pick IMO. Ebron isn't a TE, he's a bigger version of dustin keller and I know he is compared to vernon davis, but we all need to remember that Davis was a complete disaster until he Singletary and him fought it out and Vernon decided he wanted to be a dominant player.

I want a TE who can actually block and then be a receiver. I get that we all want the next jimmy graham, but that is virtually impossible to predict or draft. Its much smarter to take a guy like CJ Fed who would be a devastating blocker for us, improve our running game immensely (we haven't had a blocking TE on the team in 5 years so we forget how much value they carry) and could turn into a good (not great) receiving option. Id rather a guy who has a VERY low floor and limited ceiling over Ebron who is a just a heavy receiver.

All League
    Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    This is about the only pick that would bother me. You don't spend this high a 1st round pick on a 3rd rate TE.
    Huh? Almost every mock I have seen has him in the top 10. I seriously doubt he will be there at 18 for NYJ. But 3rd rate, I am confused by your post?

The Jets have never been able to draft a top tier TE. Picking him in the first round is a mistake.

This sounds like such an obvious smokescreen that it may be legit. Please no.

This would be my absolute worst case scenario at 18. I really dislike ebron. If they're dead set on taking a tight end at 18 I would rather have amaro. I honestly think drafting a tight end in the first is throwing a pick in the garbage. First round tight ends almost never turn into the player that teams expected them to be. I'm almost ready to argue that it's easier to find a franchise quarterback than it is to find a truly great tight end like a tony Gonzalez or a Shannon sharpe. Even guys over the years that break out fizzle out fast like zach miller, Eric Johnson or Jeremy Shockey.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Huh? Almost every mock I have seen has him in the top 10. I seriously doubt he will be there at 18 for NYJ. But 3rd rate, I am confused by your post?
    What else would you call a TE who can't block, has questionable hands and shies away from physical contact ? I could careless what everyone thinks of him, he's a terrible TE prospect.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    What else would you call a TE who can't block, has questionable hands and shies away from physical contact ? I could careless what everyone thinks of him, he's a terrible TE prospect.
    +1

He was supposed to be a physical freak, and his measurables aren't all that freakish.

He's billed as a great receiver and drops 11% of his passes.

Not a top 20 pick.

Hoping this is a smoke screen so some jackass can trade ahead of us to select him.

If Vick starts would you feel comfortable with him picking up blitzers from his blind side?

This is the worst possible scenario I can think of. I'd rather have any other player ranked in the top32. That includes another DL.

I never understood the hype.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Please God have him off the board at 18

Interesting to see all the anti-Ebron sentiment.

I don't understand the appeal of a tight end who purportedly can't block unless you have a qb that is comfortable throwing 50 passes per game. Because every time said TE is in the huddle, the threat of the run simply isn't there; lining one of these TEs in the slot isn't creating a mismatch for the defense if they expect you to pass when you're in the huddle.

Anyway I'm not too concerned about this...I believe the Giants are a lock to take him. The fall of Eli can only be slowed by a superficial infusion of "weapons," and that's exactly what they'll look to do.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Anyway I'm not too concerned about this...I believe the Giants are a lock to take him. The fall of Eli can only be slowed by a superficial infusion of "weapons," and that's exactly what they'll look to do.
    I don't know, the Giants under Reese - as far as I can remember - only take premium positions in the first round. DL, OL, CB's - the only exceptions were Nicks and Wilson and both were at the very end of the first round.

Can't see them taking a TE 12th overall, especially if Donald or one of the OT's are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    I don't know, the Giants under Reese - as far as I can remember - only take premium positions in the first round. DL, OL, CB's - the only exceptions were Nicks and Wilson and both were at the very end of the first round.

Can't see them taking a TE 12th overall, especially if Donald or one of the OT's are still there.
    There have been rumblings lately about Reese's drafting ability. His last few drafts have been flops. It's for this reason I think it's entirely likely he will abandon his "old" approach and swing for the fences with a skill player at #12.

And, since the Giants have a huge hole at TE, it's not hard to imagine this "swing for the fences" player to be Ebron.

That's my logic. The Giants are getting desperate due to their aging and regressing QB, an insatiable fanbase, many of whom are entirely ungrateful for their two recent serendipitous SB wins, and Coughlin's limited remaining tenure as coach.

We have already seen them deviate from their normally frugal free agent approach in signing 19 free agents this year! It's a sign of their changing philosophy.

When you try to "win now" with an iffy roster, you also generally try to make big splashes in the draft.

I just see all signs pointing to Ebron to the Giants.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Believe many mocks have him going to Buffalo as well

All League
    First off I don't believe Cimini or anyone in the local media, they were totally wrong
    during free agency so why would I believe their "draft thoughts". Secondly we had
    Keller at TE once I don't need to see that again. Give me a big two way TE that can
    block and catch even if he's a tick slower. Niklas or Fiedorowicz are more up my alley

Just as long as somebody in the top 17 picks "really " likes him more, who cares. New Jets mission statement includes NO tight ends in the first round.