Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: WRs: Big Target or Burner?

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like

    WRs: Big Target or Burner?

    Which do you get first if you're the Jets, or is that not the question, is it just best receiver available in 1st or 2nd round?

    I think for a QB like Geno Smith, you need insurance. You need a guy who is a large target who can battle and get open.
    Mike Evans would be my dream pick in this draft. He'll no doubt be gone in top 10.

    But then I saw highlights of Brandin Cooks. Holy crap. Would be a tough call between him and a big body like an Ebron or a big WR.

    DC

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a redzone target bad so big target hands down. If that is a TE so be it.

  3. #3
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love kelvin benjamin ,mike Evans, or marquise leee ....I do like what I see in kelvin 6'5 240 and great numbers on combine

  4. #4
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Decker is that big target as is David Nelson. Another 'big target' can be used at TE which can be addressed later on in the draft.

    What we don't have is Cooks. What this system needs is Cooks.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a burner, so Cooks is the guy. We already have tall WRs in Decker, the kid from buffalo, and Stephan "the invisible man" Hill.

    Cooks is going to be an animal. He will be Steve Smith without the drama.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more film I watch the more I like Beckham. Those other guys catch almost 50% of their passes within 5 yards of the los. OBJ catches 60% of his passes 11+ yards down field, He plays bigger , he can run all the routes, and he's a great punt returner.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The more film I watch the more I like Beckham. Those other guys catch almost 50% of their passes within 5 yards of the los. OBJ catches 60% of his passes 11+ yards down field, He plays bigger , he can run all the routes, and he's a great punt returner.
    Benjamin is another project.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    YAC'er.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets already have possession receiver in Decker.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burner.

    Decker is your big bodied red-zone WR. Nelson, too.

    I won't even mention Hill. *sigh*

  11. #11
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best player on our board regardless of position.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on who's best player on the board when we pick. Don't be surprised if go DB on that pick. Our db's are just as bad as our wr's.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they have to draft a WR (I'd still go OLB or CB in the first) you have to get a speed guy. "Big Targets" who can't run are available in the later rounds and free agency.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    The best player on our board regardless of position.
    assume Watkins, Evans and Ebron are long gone (Gilbert and Dennard gone as well for those in favor of a corner) and the choices at WR are Beckham, Cooks or Lee.

    In your view, who is the BAP?

    I like Beckham best of those 3.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The more film I watch the more I like Beckham. Those other guys catch almost 50% of their passes within 5 yards of the los. OBJ catches 60% of his passes 11+ yards down field, He plays bigger , he can run all the routes, and he's a great punt returner.
    Then for this team with 2 turn over prone QBs, the WR you need is the player that would lessen the chance of these 2 turning over the ball. Throwing it downfield is not the answer, but throwing it short and having the ability to break away for big yardage would be the better option.

    By the way, to answer the OP's question, I want football players who have shown the ability to catch the football and make plays consistently.

  16. #16
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    assume Watkins, Evans and Ebron are long gone (Gilbert and Dennard gone as well for those in favor of a corner) and the choices at WR are Beckham, Cooks or Lee.

    In your view, who is the BAP?

    I like Beckham best of those 3.
    It doesn't have to be a WR. Idzik addressed CB, WR, RB in free agency.

    In my opinion, there are three positions where the Jets are set: C, RT, RB. Other than that, take the best player regardless of position.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have two big targets already in Decker and Nelson. We need a speedster to complement them.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,062
    Post Thanks / Like

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    In my opinion, there are three positions where the Jets are set: C, RT, RB. Other than that, take the best player regardless of position.

    I assume you meant LT, not RT. Otherwise I agree.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Then for this team with 2 turn over prone QBs, the WR you need is the player that would lessen the chance of these 2 turning over the ball. Throwing it downfield is not the answer, but throwing it short and having the ability to break away for big yardage would be the better option.

    By the way, to answer the OP's question, I want football players who have shown the ability to catch the football and make plays consistently.
    True, but the other benefit of a deep threat is that he opens up the underneath for the short-range guys. Kerley has a much easier time working the middle if the safeties have to respect a guy that can consistently beat one-on-one coverage over the top.

    Cooks or Beckham for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us