Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRs: Big Target or Burner?

WRs: Big Target or Burner?

Which do you get first if you're the Jets, or is that not the question, is it just best receiver available in 1st or 2nd round?

I think for a QB like Geno Smith, you need insurance. You need a guy who is a large target who can battle and get open.
    Mike Evans would be my dream pick in this draft. He'll no doubt be gone in top 10.

But then I saw highlights of Brandin Cooks. Holy crap. Would be a tough call between him and a big body like an Ebron or a big WR.

DC

We need a redzone target bad so big target hands down. If that is a TE so be it.

I would love kelvin benjamin ,mike Evans, or marquise leee ....I do like what I see in kelvin 6'5 240 and great numbers on combine

Eric Decker is that big target as is David Nelson. Another 'big target' can be used at TE which can be addressed later on in the draft.

What we don't have is Cooks. What this system needs is Cooks.

We need a burner, so Cooks is the guy. We already have tall WRs in Decker, the kid from buffalo, and Stephan "the invisible man" Hill.

Cooks is going to be an animal. He will be Steve Smith without the drama.

All Pro
    The more film I watch the more I like Beckham. Those other guys catch almost 50% of their passes within 5 yards of the los. OBJ catches 60% of his passes 11+ yards down field, He plays bigger , he can run all the routes, and he's a great punt returner.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The more film I watch the more I like Beckham. Those other guys catch almost 50% of their passes within 5 yards of the los. OBJ catches 60% of his passes 11+ yards down field, He plays bigger , he can run all the routes, and he's a great punt returner.
    Benjamin is another project.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    YAC'er.

Veteran
    Jets already have possession receiver in Decker.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Burner.

Decker is your big bodied red-zone WR. Nelson, too.

I won't even mention Hill. *sigh*

The best player on our board regardless of position.

It depends on who's best player on the board when we pick. Don't be surprised if go DB on that pick. Our db's are just as bad as our wr's.

If they have to draft a WR (I'd still go OLB or CB in the first) you have to get a speed guy. "Big Targets" who can't run are available in the later rounds and free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    The best player on our board regardless of position.
    assume Watkins, Evans and Ebron are long gone (Gilbert and Dennard gone as well for those in favor of a corner) and the choices at WR are Beckham, Cooks or Lee.

In your view, who is the BAP?

I like Beckham best of those 3.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Then for this team with 2 turn over prone QBs, the WR you need is the player that would lessen the chance of these 2 turning over the ball. Throwing it downfield is not the answer, but throwing it short and having the ability to break away for big yardage would be the better option.

By the way, to answer the OP's question, I want football players who have shown the ability to catch the football and make plays consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    assume Watkins, Evans and Ebron are long gone (Gilbert and Dennard gone as well for those in favor of a corner) and the choices at WR are Beckham, Cooks or Lee.

In your view, who is the BAP?

I like Beckham best of those 3.
    It doesn't have to be a WR. Idzik addressed CB, WR, RB in free agency.

In my opinion, there are three positions where the Jets are set: C, RT, RB. Other than that, take the best player regardless of position.

All Pro
    We have two big targets already in Decker and Nelson. We need a speedster to complement them.

Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by eeh100773 View Post
    In my opinion, there are three positions where the Jets are set: C, RT, RB. Other than that, take the best player regardless of position.

I assume you meant LT, not RT. Otherwise I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Then for this team with 2 turn over prone QBs, the WR you need is the player that would lessen the chance of these 2 turning over the ball. Throwing it downfield is not the answer, but throwing it short and having the ability to break away for big yardage would be the better option.

By the way, to answer the OP's question, I want football players who have shown the ability to catch the football and make plays consistently.
    True, but the other benefit of a deep threat is that he opens up the underneath for the short-range guys. Kerley has a much easier time working the middle if the safeties have to respect a guy that can consistently beat one-on-one coverage over the top.

Cooks or Beckham for me.