Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzik tried to trade up to 38... for Marquise Lee...!

Exclamation Idzik tried to trade up to 38... for Marquise Lee...!

ian Rappaport reporting....

=="But shortly after the second round began Friday night, the Jets attempted to trade up from No. 49 to take USC's Marqise Lee, according to the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Idzik did acknowledge late Friday that the Jets indeed tried to trade up in the second round, though he wouldn't say whether they were targeting Lee.

Per Rapoport, the Jets were "furiously" trying to swing a deal with the Bucs, who had the No. 38 pick, because the Jets had a "fear" the Jaguars would select Lee at No. 39."

Practice Squad
    Too bad. And with all those picks we still don't have a number 1 go to receiver.

All these reports coming out now attempting to scare fans but some of us still think not trading up was the right move for the Jets.

I was hoping for a trade up for Lee but Amaro is an awesome pick. He definitely better security for Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    I am very happy with Amaro but IF (IF) the reports are accurate then he should have tried a trade with his old boss instead. Only a couple of picks higher. IF you are in love with a guy and FURIOUSLY trying to trade to get him then why not? There is plenty of middle ground between being stubborn and being Tannenbaum.

All Pro
    It's looking like Hill will get another chance.
    Don't forget that Decker runs around a 4.45 40, and had the NFLs best deep ball catch %
    Anyway Nelson, and Decker, with Kerley in the slot, and Amaro in the other slot is pretty good.
    Maybe we're not taking the top off, but those are a lot of good route runners, and great hands.
    Think about how dangerous we'll be in the red zone. Add in Ivory, and CJ and it's a whole different world from last year.

Rookie
    Good to see they attempted. to move up. I'm also glad Idzik did not panic and let Amaro fall to their slot. Good job...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It's looking like Hill will get another chance.
    Don't forget that Decker runs around a 4.45 40, and had the NFLs best deep ball catch %
    Anyway Nelson, and Decker, with Kerley in the slot, and Amaro in the other slot is pretty good.
    Maybe we're not taking the top off, but those are a lot of good route runners, and great hands.
    Think about how dangerous we'll be in the red zone. Add in Ivory, and CJ and it's a whole different world from last year.
    9 picks to go and almost every weak spot on the team last year has been addressed between the draft and FA. I don't understand how anyone can be disappointed with Idzik so far. WR, TE, Backup QB, OLine, CB and S. All of those positions have improved. They also got Jacoby Ford who is not a #1 but has the speed to stretch the field and keep the D honest.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am very happy with Amaro but IF (IF) the reports are accurate then he should have tried a trade with his old boss instead. Only a couple of picks higher. IF you are in love with a guy and FURIOUSLY trying to trade to get him then why not? There is plenty of middle ground between being stubborn and being Tannenbaum.
    Maybe I just don't understand the strategy here, but we had a ****load of cap space and 12 picks and a clear, absolutely clear need for a number 1 receiver. And here we are on day three and still without one. All I hear is how smart this guy is. All that leverage and so far an underwhelming free agency and draft. I guess I just don't understand, or refuse to drink the kool aid some of you are gulping down.

I love the polar opposite approach to Tanny, and I think Idzik's methodical cautious approach is the right way to go about your business, however with so many bargaining chips I would of liked to see a little more aggression yesterday, a trade up for Lee or a trade back into the back of the 2nd would of been nice to see.

I love what Caldwell did at the Jags, showed some balls to go get your guys.

Why do the Jets find it so hard to find a trade partner while teams like the niners work the board moving around with ease.
    Last edited by Harrier; 05-10-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    Maybe I just don't understand the strategy here, but we had a ****load of cap space and 12 picks and a clear, absolutely clear need for a number 1 receiver. And here we are on day three and still without one. All I hear is how smart this guy is. All that leverage and so far an underwhelming free agency and draft. I guess I just don't understand, or refuse to drink the kool aid some of you are gulping down.
    Your first guess is correct. You don't understand. So let's just leave it there ;-)

Practice Squad
    Yes. I haven't understood for 44 years.

Should have drafted Cooks and they would not have been in this mess. Picking Pryor when allen played well last year wasn't a deep need. The defense played well last year the offense was dead last. another Rex Ryan player now this team will resemble the Philadelphia Eagles when Buddy was coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rappaport didn't get one thing right about what the Jets were doing for the draft

Why do you all of a sudden believe him that we tried to trade up specifically for Lee?

I call bullsh1t....he takes Manish's BS and runs with it

I believe Idzik improved our offense a lot just by getting Decker and CJ. So if you think Idzik failed by not getting a #1 receiver in the draft, you have to know that when we picked at #18, the only prime WRs left were Cooks and Lee. I also wanted Cooks, but realize that the Pryor pick fills a bigger need. So for our 2nd Round pick, Amaro was a great pick. It filled another need with a top tier player. I'm not crazy about the 3rd round pick, but remember we have 2 picks in the 4th round. If you are suggesting we should have traded up from our #18 spot to get someone else, we would have had to have given up a lot. Example: If we were determined to get Odell-Beckham, we would likely have had to give up our 2nd round pick and possibly our 3rd round pick. So filling that need would leave other big holes (S and TE). Remember that our surplus of draft picks is really not the case. We have a lot of picks in later rounds. When trading up for an Odell-Beckham, no team care about our surplus of picks in rounds 4, 5 or 6. They want top tier picks or possibly a #1 pick next year. So ask this question, would you rather have Odell-Beckham or Pryor and Amaro?

Talking Idzik improves on Tanny... thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    9 picks to go and almost every weak spot on the team last year has been addressed between the draft and FA. I don't understand how anyone can be disappointed with Idzik so far. WR, TE, Backup QB, OLine, CB and S. All of those positions have improved. They also got Jacoby Ford who is not a #1 but has the speed to stretch the field and keep the D honest.
    ...So far so good for the Jets... We still need Guards, a RT and more skill players..... we could nab WR Robert Herron at 104..... see below

==Robert Herron is a name you should learn now if you haven't yet. A true deep threat with elite speed acceleration there are a lot of people who think he compares to Mike Wallace out of college. -

All Pro
    The FA class is much stronger next year. He has to spend that money, but he doesn't have to waste it.
    Maybe you don't understand the strategy here.

If it was true, which I doubt, I'm happy. I didn't want Lee. He led the NCAA in dropped passes last year. We already have a WR bust with butter hands in Stephan Hill.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think anyone could mistake me for a Kool Aid drinker. Truth is I like some of the things he has done and I don't like some of the things he has done. I would prefer we have a #1 WR and a veteran/proven CB on the roster although I think getting a #1 WR this year was much easier said than done. We got the best FA WR and sometimes the way the draft breaks does not allow you to get who you want. I don't consider Lee a #1. I think he can be a very good #2. Another thing I don't like about Idzik is that it seems he is getting a reputation for being stubborn. I fear we have gone from one extreme to the other. Tanny blew with the wind and Idzik is looking like a bolder. Nobody is saying he has to sacrifice his principles but I think flexibility is a virtue. Just have to know when and when not to be. He still gets the benefit of the doubt for now though b.c this is his real first year with picks and cap space.

How did they know the Jags were going to draft Lee at 39?

Idzik haz da speyes?