Thread: The Jets selection of Jalen Saunders over Ellington and Herron in the 4th?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Question The Jets selection of Jalen Saunders over Ellington and Herron in the 4th?

Many of us expected a small, speedy WR to be taken in the middle rounds but very few were talking about Saunders in comparison to Ellington, Herron and even Dri Archer.

What do you guys think was the deciding factor? What could the Jets see in Saunders that made him the pick over the others, particularly Ellington?

I like the toughness of Saunders. He's a scrappy blocker and a speed guy. He also has a return game so the Special Teams factor is important. But I thought Ellington had all those things as well, and that Bruce was slightly more polished as a WR.

The Jets had options there at 104 and they selected Saunders over several others for a reason! I'm just trying to figure out the reason.

Would have been great to have traded that pick plus our 4th or 5th & 6th to move up for Jarvis Landry.

Could you imagine the rivalry with Odell with the Giants & Landry with the Jets. Both in NY.

I can't get my head around the fact that Saunders is 165 pounds, Ellington and Herron are 30 pounds heavier. You can see that Saunders has unbelievable quickness to go along with his speed, and has shown incredible durability. My hope is that Marty is on board with this pick. Morningweg's expierance with DeSean Jackson for me is the key, can he make Saunders into the next DeSean ?

All Pro
    This was what jumped out most for me from his write-up on NFL.com :

Saunders will always have size limitations, but has the hands, suddenness, polish and moxie to be a useful piece for a creative offensive coordinator able to free him up.
    Sounds like he'll fit well with MM.

While I'm happy with the draft as a whole, I think we could have easily stuck with amaro in the 2nd, gone for a better WR in the third and picked up McDougle at the first pick in the 4th. Same draft with a better first receiver taken.

Not saying Saunders can't contribute, but he might be relegated to KR/PR and special situations, whereas some of the receivers in the third could have been potential number 1s/2s. I don't think Saunders will ever be that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    While I'm happy with the draft as a whole, I think we could have easily stuck with amaro in the 2nd, gone for a better WR in the third and picked up McDougle at the first pick in the 4th. Same draft with a better first receiver taken.

Not saying Saunders can't contribute, but he might be relegated to KR/PR and special situations, whereas some of the receivers in the third could have been potential number 1s/2s. I don't think Saunders will ever be that.
    We don't need a potential #1 or #2. We need guys who can contribute. I think CB was way more pressing a need then WR, so it is pretty clear during the 3rd round, unless a STUD WR fell, they were going to go CB.

Check out the draft board. For once the Jets were the leaders on the position runs. We were the first to draft the 2nd tier CB, second on the 2nd level TEs, and first on the WR & G run on Day 3. I don't even think a G was drafted in the 4th round, so technically, we def got a guy at the top of our board in the beginning of the 4th right before the 5th.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post

There were only 3 WR's taken in the 3rd ... Huff, Moncrieff & Brown. Are any of them significantly better prospects than the guys we got?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    There were only 3 WR's taken in the 3rd ... Huff, Moncrieff & Brown. Are any of them significantly better prospects than the guys we got?
    Huff & Moncrief def show more potential as a total package, but I think CB was just a way bigger need. The idea we could of got McDougle later is ridiculous. No one can know. No one certainly would have predicted we would get Trevor Reilly in the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    We don't need a potential #1 or #2. We need guys who can contribute. I think CB was way more pressing a need then WR, so it is pretty clear during the 3rd round, unless a STUD WR fell, they were going to go CB.

Check out the draft board. For once the Jets were the leaders on the position runs. We were the first to draft the 2nd tier CB, second on the 2nd level TEs, and first on the WR & G run on Day 3. I don't even think a G was drafted in the 4th round, so technically, we def got a guy at the top of our board in the beginning of the 4th right before the 5th.
    CB might have been a bigger need, and again, I don't hate the McDougle pick but I do think he could have been had in the fourth, and so being able to take moncreif and McDougle thereafter seemed absolutely reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I would say Moncreif is a much more complete prospect than Saunders, and I think before the draft no one really would have argued otherwise. I just think it's very reasonable to say we could have gotten McDougle first pick in the fourth and upgraded our WR selections by taking moncreif or brown in the third.

Just want to be clear that I'm still very much on board with the players we came away with, I just think they could have targeted McDougle later and come away with a better WR in 3.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Huff & Moncrief def show more potential as a total package, but I think CB was just a way bigger need. The idea we could of got McDougle later is ridiculous. No one can know. No one certainly would have predicted we would get Trevor Reilly in the 7th.
    Totally right that we can't know, but in the name of discussion and talking over how we felt about the draft strategy, I think it's probably the fairest criticism of our draft or say McDougle could have been had later IMO.