Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I Think Stephen Hill Is Done Here; And Kudos for Idzik

All League
    Doubt he is just cut without a legit chance. He will have to outperform the rookies, which generally isn't hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    He is a traded up for 2nd round draft pick. He is not here on scholarship. His inconsistent play is detrimental to the team. Trade him for a pick
    Stevie Johnson is traded for a conditional 4th round pick but someone will trade a 2nd rounder for Hill?

Do people realize that Hill is STILL as young as many players that were drafted this year. Instead of dumping him, let's hope that he is healthy, and that Decker takes him under his wing as he has experience with D Thomas who is very similar. If Hill were to "get it" which is possible do people understand he has Top 5 NFL talent potential at the position? Instead of dumping him, we need to work him really hard. Some receivers have a huge jump in year 3

I don't like Hill. I don't think it was a great pick. However, to give up on him would be beyond dumb. He still has the measurables to be a good WR in the NFL.

In fact, prior to getting hurt last year, he was complementing Smith very well as he was involved with at least two of the bombs that had Geno as the top rated deep ball thrower in the NFL through the first 3-4 games last year.

If not for where Hill had been taken the Jets would have cut him already. The team has been trying desperately to save themselves the embarrassment and that's the reason why he's still on the team. Barring some sort of miracle where MM can finally get something out of Hill, he'll be gone this year.

dont have faith in Hill but he is young and came from a GT program where they ran the ball most of the time. he will need to show something in training camp and beat out the rookies. the light could go on in year 3

I have yet to see any sort of toughness from Hill that is required to be a Jets WR. He fumbled in New England in 2013, he cost the Jets a game in New England in 2012. He's a one trick pony so far and cant even do that all that great. Right now he's useless. He's a total JAG. He needs to light it up or he's cut.

All Pro
    Stephen Hill's spot on the roster is very much up for grabs. The team is not giving up on him just yet, but he will have to prove himself this summer, or he's as good as gone. So far, he's been a big time bust, and the team has clearly positioned itself into potentially replacing him sooner rather than later.

Veteran
    I think MM could be planning something here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If not for where Hill had been taken the Jets would have cut him already. The team has been trying desperately to save themselves the embarrassment and that's the reason why he's still on the team. Barring some sort of miracle where MM can finally get something out of Hill, he'll be gone this year.
    Sometimes something just clicks a person just gets it. Let's hope that happens for Hill, but let's not count on it.

Not sure I agree with this thread's premise. One could argue that Idzik's failure to use a pre-4th round pick (where starters typically come from - not always, but typically) on a WR suggests that finding WR replacements is not an immediate priority for him. I am not saying this is what I feel, but rather what his actions suggest. If jettisoning Hill was a priority to Idzik then one could argue that he would have drafted at the front of the line as opposed to the back of the line where you typically find a starter as opposed to finding a backup.

Maybe Hill is out of here, but Idzik's draft strategy does not necessarily say that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    I think MM could be planning something here...

Interesting....I don't see Maclin in Shaq Evans. I think he's faster than advertised(ran 4.4's in the 40 at his pro day) but I think Maclin is a shiftier receiver

but I do see D-Jax lite potential in Saunders.....

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Stephen Hill's spot on the roster is very much up for grabs. The team is not giving up on him just yet, but he will have to prove himself this summer, or he's as good as gone. So far, he's been a big time bust, and the team has clearly positioned itself into potentially replacing him sooner rather than later.
    They Drafted 3 WRs and signed Jacoby Ford.... Decker, Kerley & Nelson are top 3... prior to competition... Hope he comes prepared, stays healthy.... He's running out of fun coupons....

Veteran
    Why not cut Hill during training camp. He's had what three years now? Are you telling me with all the rookie free agents and UDFA's, we WON'T find somebody better. What's the problem.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Sometimes something just clicks a person just gets it
    Yes, it does happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Why not cut Hill during training camp. He's had what three years now? Are you telling me with all the rookie free agents and UDFA's, we WON'T find somebody better. What's the problem.
    He's had 2 years. He also came from an option offense, where he was most responsible for blocking. He was a project coming out of college.... that hasn't changed. He JUST turned 23.... meaning, he's the same age as a lot of the guys that came out this year. Generally, it takes WRs 2-3 years to "get it", in the NFL.

That being said, I don't know if Hill will ever "get it", but it would be careless to cut him before he has a chance to compete, this year. He's not costing the team a lot of money, and he could turn out to be a good WR, so it makes no sense to just dump him, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Unlike you I think our FO/Coaching Staff is actually using their braincells. Hill has shown flashes. The facts remain that a) he was extremely raw coming out of college, we all knew he needed a few years until he starts getting "it" and that's where we are right now, so why are people surprised he's not there yet? B) We don't have a passing game (that includes not having an established QB / an established passing game / proven passing offense that can put up 350+ passing yards any given week a la NO/IND/DET etc.). And most importantly C) ever since he got here he's had knee issues (constant swelling) after a few games that ruined his season twice, and both times we had to IR him because he couldn't run routes properly or make use of his speed. It's no coincidence that in both years he started out hot and then by the 2nd half of the season he was a non factor and got IR'd.

Let us establish a passing game, let him get healthy, let him get to 100% and then let him finish a full season and then you can at least start to judge him and see if he can play or not. But to judge him now when he's had all these knee issues and no passing game to really help him is pretty ridiculous. Hate all you want, the kid has crazy upside and deserves to have a full, healthy season with an established QB who can throw the ball well. If he drops balls, if he doesn't run routes properly all that, then you can say he can't do this or that.

What exactly are talking about anyway? What do you think he CAN'T do? Don't give me the route running BS, I've covered that already. He was extremely raw and he's still learning the position, we knew that before we drafted him. And it's hard running routes on one leg. That's what's funny about this. All these haters they have nothing to say except yeah he sucks, let's cut him. But they can't tell you why he sucks. When they talk about drops it's easy to say he's had one drop last season and made some of the toughest catches in the NFL that year with guys knocking him out and he still held on. The kid is one of the toughest receivers we've had over the years. Instead of sticking up for him for the effort he's showing he's getting bashed by a bunch of people that want to see him fail. Kid has been nothing but classy. Takes big hits, doesn't talk trash, doesn't do anything negative, just does his job. Let him do his thing. I'm willing to give the kid a few more years at the very least and let him develop and give him some decent coaching, something he hasn't had the last couple years. Like he's making 12 mil. per year that we have to cut him. He makes nothing. And he's got more upside than 95% of the receivers in the NFL. Why the hell do people still want him gone? Mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Yes, it does happen.

Looks like your guy wasn't given much of a chance his first two years.

Thumbs down Cut Hill in favor of the dumpster dive WRs we drafted?

Hill's elite physical traits cannot be "taught", they are absolutely prototypical, and c'mon, he's what, 22? 23? From a college with a crude offense where he was just told to run past everyone? His failure is Sanjay Lai's (WR coach) failure, combined with Rex's extremely uncharacteristic and not very subtle bashing of the kid (and picking him). When was this type of bashing/insults directed at Ducasse, wasted blubber on our roster for what, 4 years? Yes, he got hit by a train, saw chirping birds, nighty night on one vicious hit, it $&@ed up his head, but c'mon, keeping any of the ho hum WRs we drafted and dumping Hill (who unquestionably is the most physically gifted receiver on the team) is a really, really schtoopid decision we would highly likely live to regret...If his head and confidence are fried beyond help in the preseason OK, let him go, give the dude a chance to reinvent himself elsewhere, but cut him now? Moronic....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I have been far from impressed with Hill thus far and wouldn't be shocked if he was put on the PS or got cut ultimately for not showing enough progress or(best case scenario, IMO, for him) being relegated as a 5th string WR.
    Hill is not practice squad eligible, he's already spent 2 seasons on the active roster.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-13-2014 at 11:29 PM.