Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jalen saunders virtual lock for our new punt returner

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking jalen saunders virtual lock for our new punt returner

writer from ganggreen nation makes a good point:-- see below

== "three times in the last decade the Jets have used a Draft pick on a punt returner. Make no mistake. The team did not pick any of these players only because of their punt return skill. It was only part of the entire package.

Justin Miller, Kyle Wilson, and Jeremy Kerley were all supposed to breathe life into the punt return game. None was successful. Although Miller and Wilson were underperformers relative to their respective Draft positions, all three players carved out niches as useful players. Miller was a top notch kickoff returner. Wilson is a good nickel back, and Kerley is a quality slot receiver. The problem with punt returns has persisted. All there players, two of whom remain on the team, have looked lost running back punts.

Fourth round pick Jalen Saunders averaged 15 yards per return and ran three back for touchdowns in college. What do you think? Can he finally break the hex that has been over this team drafting punt returners? "

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope so or else they really screwed up the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We haven't had a truly dangerous punt returner since Santana Moss. Hopefully Saunders bucks that trend.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote from Mr. Saunders " I would describe my playing style like a gorilla. I’m a savage on that field. I would say between a gorilla and a terrier, a pet dog or a terrier. They’re real small and people don’t expect too much from them. They always like to fight and always like to play around. That’s just the type of player I am. I’m real feisty."

.. you have to love this from the smallest player

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wskelly View Post
    I hope so or else they really screwed up the draft.
    Yup, if Amaro/Pryorand Mcdougle turn out to be pro bowlers, it won't matter if Saunders doesn't pan out as our punt returner.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    they're not gonna keep him around just for punt returns. is he a better slot guy than kerley?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. Let Kerley focus on being a better WR. Saunders could backup Kerley as slot if Kerley gets injured again.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Good. Let Kerley focus on being a better WR. Saunders could backup Kerley as slot if Kerley gets injured again.
    And can replace Kerley when his contract expires at the end of the year if he demands more than he is worth.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not smart to use a high 4th round pick on a PR, when more talented position players were available. Not to mention picking a player who only weighs 165 pounds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate guys getting pigeonholed into return roles, especially with how marginalized the return game is becoming.

How many punts are returnable per team per game? Maybe 2? The others are fair catches or touchbacks.

It's ridiculously misguided that so many people are foaming at the idea of this guy finally being the missing piece of our punt return game. His potential value as a receiver is 50x greater, let's focus our optimism there (note that I am very bearish on Saunders but very bullish on Shaq and Enunwa).

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Not smart to use a high 4th round pick on a PR, when more talented position players were available. Not to mention picking a player who only weighs 165 pounds.
    Unless he turns into Percy Harvin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    And can replace Kerley when his contract expires at the end of the year if he demands more than he is worth.
    jacoby ford is also a slot guy and a return guy. should be an interesting camp for these three guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let Jacoby Ford handle that, I'm looking for more from Saunders. Based upon his college
    production and the little tape I've watched since he was drafted the only "knock" on him
    is his size. And when you look at it he's basically the same size as Desean Jackson
    (5-9 175 vs. 5-10 175). That's what I'm hoping for

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    He's 175. Same as DeSean Jackson when he got drafted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Let Jacoby Ford handle that, I'm looking for more from Saunders. Based upon his college
    production and the little tape I've watched since he was drafted the only "knock" on him
    is his size. And when you look at it he's basically the same size as Desean Jackson
    Agreed, I think Saunders can be quite a receiver in this league. That being said, I dont mind if he is the punt returner this season.

As a side note, I am downright AMAZED at the negative comments about kerley. The guy has been the only good WR on this team for 2 seasons, doesnt drop balls, is good after the catch, plays inside and out, has zero off the field problems, and has played his ENTIRE CAREER with QB play that was in the bottom 10% of the league. Lets give him one season with an adequate WR next to him and even marginal QB play before we jettison him in free agency if he doesn't "focus on being a better WR".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Eh, why rush Saunders? Kerley is almost guaranteed to not be healthy the full season, so Saunders would get some WR reps regardless. Saunders can pay his dues and come in & start at KR/PR.

Even Kerley had to do PR duties up until this season. This should allow Kerley to focus & stay fresh at WR.

Jacoby Ford would just be a wasted roster spot unless the Jets plan of cutting David Nelson or Stephen Hill for him.
    Last edited by DowNY; 05-14-2014 at 04:16 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Agreed, I think Saunders can be quite a receiver in this league. That being said, I dont mind if he is the punt returner this season.

As a side note, I am downright AMAZED at the negative comments about kerley. The guy has been the only good WR on this team for 2 seasons, doesnt drop balls, is good after the catch, plays inside and out, has zero off the field problems, and has played his ENTIRE CAREER with QB play that was in the bottom 10% of the league. Lets give him one season with an adequate WR next to him and even marginal QB play before we jettison him in free agency if he doesn't "focus on being a better WR".
    Agree totally, but I have always gotten the impression that Kerley is just not Rex's guy. He is a 75% speed practice guy and bike rider that comes to play consistently on Sunday. Not what Rex wants. Would not be shocked if we trade Kerley (do not want them to on any level) before the season starts to someone like Cleveland.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    He's 175. Same as DeSean Jackson when he got drafted.

He weighed in at 165 at the Combine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would hope we don't trade Kerley Fries. He's been one of my favorite Jets these last few years.

tapping while talking

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Agree totally, but I have always gotten the impression that Kerley is just not Rex's guy. He is a 75% speed practice guy and bike rider that comes to play consistently on Sunday. Not what Rex wants. Would not be shocked if we trade Kerley (do not want them to on any level) before the season starts to someone like Cleveland.
    Kerley and nelson are the only players on the roster who have chemistry with Geno, and kerley has a MASSIVE lead over nelson in that category. Hes an exceptional 3rd down receiver too.

I dont care if he practices at 50%, he has been a very good player for us, and I want him here long term. I think everyone will be very surprised to see what he can do with other weapons around him taking some coverage heat.