Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Think Stephen Hill Is Done Here; And Kudos for Idzik

I Think Stephen Hill Is Done Here; And Kudos for Idzik

Teams don't cut 4th rounders after their 1st training camp, so we're currently at: Decker, Kerley, Saunders, and Evans.

I don't see us carrying more than 5 or 6 receivers, which leaves Hill, Nelson, and Ford competing for a max of 2 spots. Ford has far more value on special teams and Nelson is a far more reliable receiver. I think Hill would really need to show out in camp in order to make the team.

I think that Idzik really wanted one of Watkins, Evans, ODB, Cooks, Matthews, or Lee. Once they were all gone, he decided that instead of reaching for the next best guy, he would wait until later in the draft and then double dip at receiver. I've been more critical of Idzik than most, but I think his handling of this draft has been masterful. Whether the players pan out or not is a separate issue, but I've found the overall strategy to be without fault. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Teams don't cut 4th rounders after their 1st training camp, so we're currently at: Decker, Kerley, Saunders, and Evans.

I don't see us carrying more than 5 or 6 receivers, which leaves Hill, Nelson, and Ford competing for a max of 2 spots. Ford has far more value on special teams and Nelson is a far more reliable receiver. I think Hill would really need to show out in camp in order to make the team.

I think that Idzik really wanted one of Watkins, Evans, ODB, Cooks, Matthews, or Lee. Once they were all gone, he decided that instead of reaching for the next best guy, he would wait until later in the draft and then double dip at receiver. I've been more critical of Idzik than most, but I think his handling of this draft has been masterful. Whether the players pan out or not is a separate issue, but I've found the overall strategy to be without fault. Well done.
    He had his chance at Cooks.

Veteran
    Going to come down to Hill vs Ford - Nelson was way too reliable for us to not make the team.

All Pro

I think the Saunders pick makes Ford expendable as a special teams player. I agree with you about Nelson, he should have a spot, but I can see keeping Hill ahead of Ford, although if Hill will need to win his job in pre-season.

WRs have high bust rates. Tons of great prospects in the first and second round never panned out. This is about managing risk for Idzik.

4th rounder arent locks to make the roster and even if they where Ford and Nelson are older and more likely to be cut. I actually wouldnt be shocked if we traded Kerley. One think is for sure Gates is gone. You will see 6 WRs make the roster week one and a PS guy. I wouldnt be shocked one bit if Hazelton still made this roster he looked out stander last preseason. We have a top of good option now Hill is very much one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    Going to come down to Hill vs Ford - Nelson was way too reliable for us to not make the team.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    He had his chance at Cooks.
    He had chances at each of the last 3, but didn't want them at 18. Neither did I (though I'd have been happy with Lee). He tried to trade up for Lee, but only for a certain price. Which, again, is the correct approach.

NFL Teams Draft Irrationally
    I don't agree with everything in that piece. But I've come to accept (and just in the last year or so) that the general idea is absolutely correct. If you have to option of picking one guy or two guys with slightly lower grades, you're better off with 2.

Hill could be great even though he hasn't played football all that well since he came into the NFL
    Remember the times in Buffalo when he had many catches in the white white snow
    I think we keep him around for some time for even if he sucks being mediocre is no crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    4th rounder arent locks to make the roster and even if they where Ford and Nelson are older and more likely to be cut. I actually wouldnt be shocked if we traded Kerley. One think is for sure Gates is gone. You will see 6 WRs make the roster week one and a PS guy. I wouldnt be shocked one bit if Hazelton still made this roster he looked out stander last preseason. We have a top of good option now Hill is very much one of them.
    Fewer and fewer are cut every year. I actually keep track of this on a yearly basis. I don't know where the notebooks for pre-2013 are, but last year, 35 out of 36 4th round picks made the roster after final cuts (and only 3 of the 35 were placed on the practice squad).

That was down dramatically from where it was even in 2010 (the year I started doing this to see what we were losing by not having 6th and 7th rounders).

Fewer and fewer are cut every year. I actually keep track of this on a yearly basis. I don't know where the notebooks for pre-2013 are, but last year, 35 out of 36 4th round picks made the roster after final cuts (and only 3 of the 35 were placed on the practice squad).

That was down dramatically from where it was even in 2010 (the year I started doing this to see what we were losing by not having 6th and 7th rounders).
    They need to change the PS rules and make them safe IMO. I think that infuences that a lot. We kept 3 OL on the roster all year that we had no intentions on playing. I think if we could have PS them and not worried about loosing them we would have.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    4th rounder arent locks to make the roster and even if they where Ford and Nelson are older and more likely to be cut. I actually wouldnt be shocked if we traded Kerley.
    Dude, get a grip.

There is absolutely ZERO CHANCE of the Jets trading Kerley.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Dude, get a grip.

There not trading him but as I understand he is UFA this year .. Probably not planning to resign him cause shaq and Saunders are definitely slot types.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    I think Evans is a lot like Nelson though. Not a burner, good size and seems reliable. He's like a Jerricho Cotchery type who won't light it up but will run a good route and catch a ball thrown to him. In that regard, it may come down to Nelson losing a spot to Evans but I'm not sure.

Hill still enamors people....and for good reason. But his two big problems - drops and injuries, still seem to be problems. Camp will be very, very interesting. Hill should come in healthy (checking off one box) but will need to stay healthy. Then it will come down to how he performs in Camp. If he shows that the "light bulb is finally going on", minimizes the drops and comes into camp with more professionalism and reliability, then I don't see the Jets cutting him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    There not trading him but as I understand he is UFA this year .. Probably not planning to resign him cause shaq and Saunders are definitely slot types.
    Kerley will be a UFA after this season.

Don't be surprised if he signs an extension during the season, he is our most reliable WR.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Dude, get a grip.

?? I didnt think that would be a shocking thing to say. It is obvious he isnt in the future plans IMO. I have always liked him but I dont see them keeping him. If they could trade him away and get a good pick next year or someone to help out this year I wouldnt see the down side. Would you trade him for Witten or a 4th rounder next year? I would rather do that then let him walk next year. Really feel he could be replaced this year if we could get a price on him. We are pretty deep at good WRs right now IMO.

The hate Hill gets is ridiculous. I just don't see him being cut unless he is unhealthy in camp (which is a possibility). Saunders is a WR, PR, RB, ST hybrid so would not really count against the WR numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The hate Hill gets is ridiculous. I just don't see him being cut unless he is unhealthy in camp (which is a possibility). Saunders is a WR, PR, RB, ST hybrid so would not really count against the WR numbers.
    The only way Hill gets cut IMO is if Hazelton blows the field out of the water and their hands are forced. You can walk into the season with 6 WR this year IMO. Knowing that either Hill and or Kerley is gone next year I could see them doing the same at WR that they did at OL last year. Stack talent see who rises to the top next year.

Package Hill and Kyle Wilson. They do not make enough plays.

Kerley has good chemistry with Geno. Remember that is what happened to Sanchez. The revolving WR door needs to stay shut. We can add a higher pick next year if this does not turn out well this season.