Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: I Think Stephen Hill Is Done Here; And Kudos for Idzik

  1. #41
    Oh my!! Stephen Hill is TERRIBLE! He cost the Jets a win in NE two years ago by dropping a wide open pass at the end of the game. Hill has done absolutely nothing and I doubt he makes the roster. Totally invisible player.

  2. #42
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,853
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Stop hating on the kid. He's got good hands, he makes tough catches in traffic, he was a reliable target last season. He had trouble with a bum knee all year, couldn't run routes properly which is why we shut him down at the end.
    How did he (ultimately) handle the wicked shot from Palomalu? I know he held on; but did that one dent his confidence?

    thx hawk

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The hate Hill gets is ridiculous. I just don't see him being cut unless he is unhealthy in camp (which is a possibility). Saunders is a WR, PR, RB, ST hybrid so would not really count against the WR numbers.
    I don't hate the guy but if he doesn't come in and have a great camp/preseason and someone else performs well it wouldn't be shocking at all if he got cut. He has to perform.

  4. #44
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,853
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    \
    My TV is just fine. Hill was nonexistent last year and will likely be gone in a few months. You are the one on crack.
    easy there mate





  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We are pretty deep at good WRs right now IMO.
    Name 2 after Decker and Kerley.

  6. #46
    He told you that?

  7. #47
    All true however he still makes the team . Look how long it took for the team to give up on ducasse

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    How did he (ultimately) handle the wicked shot from Palomalu? I know he held on; but did that one dent his confidence?

    thx hawk
    What are you basing this on? What makes you say that? He's had plenty of those catches and hits over the last 2 years, it didn't affect him one bit. His constant knee issues over the last 2 years have derailed both his seasons. He always starts out hot, then the knee issues begin, the swelling, he can't run full speed and cut and run crisp routes because of it and at the end, both times, we shut him down and put him on IR because of the knee.

    I mean some people don't like him, they are disappointed with his production and don't look into why this and that happened, so they're frustrated with him as if he's not good enough to play and therefore they want him to fail and get cut. If they actually put some thought and research into this they'd feel differently. With an established passing game / QB and healthy knees (which is where he is right now) he will have a good year and make plenty of bigplays for us. Remember, last season a handful of bigplays were called back because of some BS flags and/or Geno underthrowing him on some long balls when he was wide open. When healthy and once Geno starts throwing the ball a little better and with more consistency Stephen is gonna make a lot of people in here eat some crow.

  9. #49
    It's on Hill now. He has it in him to make the team and be productive. But it's put up or shut up time for him. There is a very real chance he gets cut.

  10. #50
    This is what idzik wants.. competition at every position.. in a matter of two days we are having wrs battle it out for roster spots.. personally I think it will come down to Hill and Ford.... if hill can't show what he has now then he never was going to in the first place.. he better be training hard.. I hope he has the intestinal fortitude because he is so gifted..

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    What are you basing this on? What makes you say that? He's had plenty of those catches and hits over the last 2 years, it didn't affect him one bit. His constant knee issues over the last 2 years have derailed both his seasons. He always starts out hot, then the knee issues begin, the swelling, he can't run full speed and cut and run crisp routes because of it and at the end, both times, we shut him down and put him on IR because of the knee.

    I mean some people don't like him, they are disappointed with his production and don't look into why this and that happened, so they're frustrated with him as if he's not good enough to play and therefore they want him to fail and get cut. If they actually put some thought and research into this they'd feel differently. With an established passing game / QB and healthy knees (which is where he is right now) he will have a good year and make plenty of bigplays for us. Remember, last season a handful of bigplays were called back because of some BS flags and/or Geno underthrowing him on some long balls when he was wide open. When healthy and once Geno starts throwing the ball a little better and with more consistency Stephen is gonna make a lot of people in here eat some crow.
    Great post

    The bold is more than half of the board!

  12. #52
    I will say this too, it's no lock at all that all 3 WRs make the roster, people on the board need to prepare that some of our draft picks will not make the team, one of the facts and realities of having 12 picks and loading up competition on the roster with multiple picks at the same position.

    This is a good problem for the team to have and improve

    Of course we will have some jets fans that will automatically bash Idzik and the team for drafting poorly in their usual ignorant way...

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    OK so we are assuming that a guy that has been injured two years in a row is not only going to be healthy but stay healthy. Got it. And we are also assuming that somehow he is going to LEARN basic football WR instincts that he has never shown at this level.

    I like Hill. I liked the pick. But at some point he needs to show progress and ability with things that he can control. We made the same excuses for Sanchez about supporting cast and those are valid but only to a point. There are things that he does poorly that fall squarely on his shoulders.

  14. #54
    I think Stephen Hill will have EVERY chance to compete in 2014.

    If he is amongst the best and most productive 6 WR's, with material upside and potential, he'll be on the roster.

    If not, he won't.

    I'd like to hope he makes the team, personally, but I share the OP's pessimism on it at this point.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    OK so we are assuming that a guy that has been injured two years in a row is not only going to be healthy but stay healthy. Got it. And we are also assuming that somehow he is going to LEARN basic football WR instincts that he has never shown at this level.

    I like Hill. I liked the pick. But at some point he needs to show progress and ability with things that he can control. We made the same excuses for Sanchez about supporting cast and those are valid but only to a point. There are things that he does poorly that fall squarely on his shoulders.
    hill is the opposite of an idzik guy. no production, not tough, has only measurables. he's the type of guy who idzik may not even draft in the 6th round with a comp pick.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    hill is the opposite of an idzik guy. no production, not tough, has only measurables. he's the type of guy who idzik may not even draft in the 6th round with a comp pick.
    Why do you act like you know what you're talking about?

  17. #57
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    in the Haze
    Posts
    264
    Idzik,had,Hill,rated,around,a,6th,round,pick,comin g,out,of,college.With,the,chances,he,has,been,give n,a,6th,rounder,would,have,been,baggin,groceries,b y,now.Pre,season,will,determine,if,he,stays,on,the ,squad.Right,now,a35%,chance.He,will,do,solid,in,c amp,as,usual,lets,see,how,he,does,after,he,takes,a ,big,lick.Rex,gonna,tell,Vick,to,lead,Hill,a,bit.

  18. #58
    I think the organization is still high on Hill. The team had chances to draft talented WRs in all 3 first rounds and passed. Another poster also mentioned a conversation that he had with Tony Pauline from draft insider. Pauline reported that some in the organization still had hopes that Hill could develop into a starter.

    Hill was always going to be a three year project coming out of college. He started off well last year. There were reports (by Cimini I believe) that Hill was the most improved player in training camp. He started off the season well and was on pace for a 1k yard season after the Buffalo game. Hill then got hurt against the Titans and was never really the same after that.

    Hill's problem last year was not the dropping of passes. He needs to learn how to run better routes and how to use his height (don't jump when you don't have to and learn to extend your arms to high point the ball). These are deficiencies that are correctable through hard work and repetition.

    There were also times last year that he was getting open but Geno was not pulling the trigger. This was during the part of the season that Rex decided to scale back the offense.

    I think bringing in all these new receivers is a positive thing for Hill. He has to know that he roster spot is in jeopardy and that he has not shown enough to guarantee another team giving him a chance.

    I think Hill's ceiling is an Alvin Harper type receiver. I'm not guaranteeing Hill will ever develop, but I believe it is premature to write him off at this juncture and I think it is in our best interests as fans to hope that he does develop.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by HighJetsFan View Post
    Idzik,had,Hill,rated,around,a,6th,round,pick,comin g,out,of,college.With,the,chances,he,has,been,give n,a,6th,rounder,would,have,been,baggin,groceries,b y,now.Pre,season,will,determine,if,he,stays,on,the ,squad.Right,now,a35%,chance.He,will,do,solid,in,c amp,as,usual,lets,see,how,he,does,after,he,takes,a ,big,lick.Rex,gonna,tell,Vick,to,lead,Hill,a,bit.
    comma

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Why do you act like you know what you're talking about?
    Probably because augustiniak *does* know what he's talking about.



    I have been far from impressed with Hill thus far and wouldn't be shocked if he was put on the PS or got cut ultimately for not showing enough progress or(best case scenario, IMO, for him) being relegated as a 5th string WR.


    The Wide Receivers drafted are ALREADY ahead of the curve as far as Hill is concerned.
    Last edited by Vin; 05-11-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us