View Poll Results: Do you like the selection of Saunders at 104?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 73.21%
  • No

15 26.79%

Thread: The Official "Do you like the Jets 104th pick (Saunders)?" Poll

Jets Insider VIP

The Official "Do you like the Jets 104th pick (Saunders)?" Poll

Well, do ya?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes, with Decker, Nelson, Kerley, Saunders, Evans we have a nice assortment of receiver types.

Jets Insider VIP
    I voted No simply because I thought Ellington would have been a better selection. The Jets had their choice of either of those two small, speedy guys and their scouting/evaluation led them to Saunders so I'm hoping they're right. I just disagree with it.

I do like that they went after a speedy WR though.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I voted No simply because I thought Ellington would have been a better selection. The Jets had their choice of either of those two small, speedy guys and their scouting/evaluation led them to Saunders so I'm hoping they're right. I just disagree with it.

I do like that they went after a speedy WR though.
    i think there were a couple better options available at this pick. I don't think we needed to draft a PR/KR, slot receiver. won't make any real judgements until training camp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i think there were a couple better options available at this pick. I don't think we needed to draft a PR/KR, slot receiver. won't make any real judgements until training camp.
    I agree. There were lots of options there in that spot. Idzik and company felt like this guy was worth using that valuable early 4th round pick. None of us will know on ANY of these picks, even Amaro or Pryor, until the season gets rolling, but my INITIAL reaction (which is what these polls are all about) is that the pick could have been used better.

FYI - I voted No here, but Yes on the both the Evans and Dozier picks.

Would have rather had Ellington and Abbrederis than the 2 we picked- voted No for this- I like the Shaq pick a little better though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Would have rather had Ellington and Abbrederis than the 2 we picked- voted No for this- I like the Shaq pick a little better though.
    Same here.

Decker and Kerley are good. No one is afraid of Jets WRS. Hopefully one or more of the Rookies stick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Decker and Kerley are good. No one is afraid of Jets WRS. Hopefully one or more of the Rookies stick.
    If I had to go out on a limb for our 5 WRs right now I'd say....

Decker
    Kerley
    Evans
    Nelson
    Saunders

I think Stephen Hill will be battling Evans and Nelson for a final spot.

He's a potential stud on special team right out of the gate.. He is also a potential stud in MM's system and he's dynamic in space, something we haven't had in a long while..

If Kerley doesn't meet Idzik's 'valuation' in contract negotiations... guess what? We have his replacement already. That's what good GMs do. Having too much talent is never an issue.

Decker, Kerley and IMO Nelson are locks. That leaves Saunders, Ford, Evans, Hill and Enunwa competing for 2-3 spots. IMO Saunders, Evans and Hill make the team... This is Hill's last chance.. Wouldn't be surprised if he's shopped/traded.

Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Evans, Saunders and Hill @ WR
    Last edited by requiem; 05-11-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post
    He's a potential stud on special team right out of the gate.. He is also a potential stud in MM's system and he's dynamic in space, something we haven't had in a long while..

If Kerley doesn't meet Idzik's 'valuation' in contract negotiations... guess what? We have his replacement already. That's what good GMs do. Having too much talent is never an issue.

Decker, Kerley and IMO Nelson are locks. That leaves Saunders, Ford, Evans, Hill and Enunwa competing for 2-3 spots. IMO Saunders, Evans and Hill make the team... This is Hill's last chance.. Wouldn't be surprised if he's shopped/traded.

Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Evans, Saunders and Hill @ WR
    Idzik isn't cutting his own guys. Saunders and Evans are going to be on the team.

All Pro
    not with Bryant, Ellington, Abbredis, Janis on the board

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Idzik isn't cutting his own guys. Saunders and Evans are going to be on the team.
    Best players make the team

Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post

Greg Salas has a chance, too.

not at all. we could have taken Abbrederis. I don't understand how he lasted till the end of the 5th rd.

Yes.

All but assures Jacoby Ford will not make it out of August with the team - I did not want to rely on him - and gives us a nice insurance policy with Kerley hitting the FA market in 2015.

I watched Saunders for two years after he transferred from Fresno State. Marquis Hill was given a pass for his 2013 performance because of poor QB play. Saunders QB for two years at Oklahoma was a run first poor passer QB in Blake Bell (The Bell Dozer) but still put up good numbers. When Bell was benched for red shirt freshman QB Trevor Knight, for the Sugar Bowl vs Alabama, the top rated defensive team in college, Saunders had two TD's. Saunders also caught, from Blake Bell, the winning TD with 19 seconds left vs Oklahoma State, a win that propelled the Sooners to the Sugar Bowl. He was one of the best kick returners in college with 3 punt return TD's and a kick return TD. He immediatly upgrades special teams. He is also a perfect prototype receiver for Morningweh's West Coast offense and lined up in the slot and outside at OU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRtkJxPhvY
    Last edited by rajensen088; 05-11-2014 at 07:44 AM.

I don't feel like we've ever really replaced Leon washington properly and even though him and Saunders play 2 different positions they are both the type of elusive game breakers you need that play special teams too. I like the pick a lot and the 4th round is the perfect place to start considering guys who are great special teams players. Luckily for us he's also a pretty awesome receiver too.