Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: This defense has the potential to be top 5 again after this draft

  1. #1

    This defense has the potential to be top 5 again after this draft

    D Line: Wilkerson (10.5 sacks, All Pro), Harrison, Richardson (DROY), Ellis
    OLBs: Coples (3.5 sacks in the final 5 games), Pace (10 sacks), Barnes, McIntyre
    ILBs: Davis, Harris, Bellore, George
    CBs: Milliner (3 INTs, 10 PDFs in the final 2 games), Walls, McDougle (4.4 speed), Patterson, Wilson, Dixon (4.4 speed)
    FS: Pryor, Allen
    SS: Landry, Bush

    Ryan pulled together the #1 D in the NFL in 2009 starting Rhodes, Sheppard, and Lowery and had a weaker D-Line than we do now. Scott and Revis were irreplaceable parts but Pryor brings some of Scott's leadership and aggression and a young but already spectacular D-Line will have matured another year playing together. Idzik got us a couple of fast corners to help in nickel packages and a veteran corner in Patterson to provide some stability if they aren't ready to go by Week 1. If this offense can pick it up I see no reason why we shouldn't go at least 10-6 next season.
    Last edited by XingDaorong; 05-10-2014 at 06:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,584
    I don't want to get too crazy but Rex now has practically all the ingredients needed for a Top Defense. Sure, he doesn't have a monster-type OLB in the traditional sense but there are a LOT of parts and pieces to play with and some straight up ballers on this D.

    If Coples and Davis take another step and mature, and if Pryor and McDougle contribute at all in 2014...this D is sick. Straight.Up.Sick.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago (via RI, LI)
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    D Line: Wilkerson (10.5 sacks, All Pro), Harrison, Richardson (DROY), Ellis
    OLBs: Coples (3.5 sacks in the final 5 games), Pace (10 sacks), Barnes, McIntyre
    ILBs: Davis, Harris, Mauga, George
    CBs: Milliner (3 INTs, 10 PDFs in the final 2 games), McDougle (4.4 speed), Patterson, Wilson, Dixon (4.4 speed)
    FS: Pryor, Allen
    SS: Landry, Bush

    Ryan pulled together the #1 D in the NFL in 2009 starting Rhodes, Sheppard, and Lowery and had a weaker D-Line than we do now. Scott and Revis were irreplaceable parts but Pryor brings some of Scott's leadership and aggression and a young but already spectacular D-Line will have matured another year playing together. Idzik got us a couple of fast corners to help in nickel packages and a veteran corner in Patterson to provide some stability if they aren't ready to go by Week 1. If this offense can pick it up I see no reason why we shouldn't go at least 10-6 next season.


    Mauga is a FA. Agree though, I can't wait to see this all play out.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    The greatest asset of this defense to me is youth. A lot of the Players should be expected to take a big step Forward just based on getting used to the NFL, scheme familiarity and experience - Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison, Davis, Allen, Milliner, Richardson, Walls etc. - they should all get their game a Little Forward as they are in exactly that Phase of their careers where you still develop quite a bit as a Player. Add the rookies and the fact that we really haven't lost anyone outside of Cro and we can expect good things from this defense going Forward...

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,117
    All depends on what kind of help the O, and ST's give them.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I don't want to get too crazy but Rex now has practically all the ingredients needed for a Top Defense. Sure, he doesn't have a monster-type OLB in the traditional sense but there are a LOT of parts and pieces to play with and some straight up ballers on this D.

    If Coples and Davis take another step and mature, and if Pryor and McDougle contribute at all in 2014...this D is sick. Straight.Up.Sick.
    Exactly! Although we've been missing that pure pass rushing DE/OLB since Abe left and Rex seems to know how to scheme to mask that, although in games like the 2010 AFCG we were exposed for that. If Barnes can stay healthy and Pryor is as good as advertised as a blitzer we'll be in great shape.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    Mauga is a FA. Agree though, I can't wait to see this all play out.
    Really? I liked the speed he brought, guess he wasn't physical enough against the run.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    The greatest asset of this defense to me is youth. A lot of the Players should be expected to take a big step Forward just based on getting used to the NFL, scheme familiarity and experience - Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison, Davis, Allen, Milliner, Richardson, Walls etc. - they should all get their game a Little Forward as they are in exactly that Phase of their careers where you still develop quite a bit as a Player. Add the rookies and the fact that we really haven't lost anyone outside of Cro and we can expect good things from this defense going Forward...
    Totally forgot about Walls, yeah this D is gonna be sick.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago (via RI, LI)
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    Really? I liked the speed he brought, guess he wasn't physical enough against the run.
    I think it was more so to do with his injury - he's been on the IR since 2012.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    All depends on what kind of help the O, and ST's give them.
    Hopefully one of those WRs pans out and Amaro becomes at least as good as Keller was for us, if that happens we'll be average offensively and that's honestly good enough for Rex to take us back to the postseason if this D plays at an elite level.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    I think it was more so to do with his injury - he's been on the IR since 2012.
    That'll do it, and while we're on the injury subject I gotta mention how big a bullet Idzik dodged not trading up for Marquise Lee.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    All depends on what kind of help the O, and ST's give them.
    If you assume the offense will be better with
    1- Better QB play- Can't get worse from last two years. Either Geno will improve or he gets beat out by Vick
    2- RB play- CJ2k addition
    3- WR play- Eric Decker/Healthy Kerley/Nelson/Bunch of rookies
    4- TE Play- Amaro
    5- OL- Should be as good, possibly better if Winters improves

    With 12 picks in this draft you know the special teams talent will be significantly upgraded as well.

  13. #13
    We got our play making safety, but still have a MASSIVE hole in the D that is keeping it from being truly elite. That being a true pass rushing olb.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    It's loaded, only a couple question marks at CB and OLB, but the talent is there.

  15. #15
    Yes but do they bring back Reed ? Not sure how to feel about Reed coming back, but now with Pryor i think it can be a smart move.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We got our play making safety, but still have a MASSIVE hole in the D that is keeping it from being truly elite. That being a true pass rushing olb.
    Wish Coples could turn into that but he's a DL playing the Jarrett Johnson role in this D, Barnes and Pace have both produced over 10 sacks in a season so Rex should be able to compensate for that but I agree if someone like Khalil Mack is available next year this FO should complete our defensive rebuild and get him. Too bad the ghost of Vernon Gholston seems to be haunting our GMs whenever they have a chance to take a pass rusher.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If you assume the offense will be better with
    1- Better QB play- Can't get worse from last two years. Either Geno will improve or he gets beat out by Vick
    2- RB play- CJ2k addition
    3- WR play- Eric Decker/Healthy Kerley/Nelson/Bunch of rookies
    4- TE Play- Amaro
    5- OL- Should be as good, possibly better if Winters improves

    With 12 picks in this draft you know the special teams talent will be significantly upgraded as well.
    Offense will certainly be better, I'd be thrilled if we could make the jump into the top-15, but that might asking a little too much. 16-20 might be good enough to make this a playoff team.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    It's loaded, only a couple question marks at CB and OLB, but the talent is there.
    That's the thing with this secondary, if we assume Milliner continues playing like he did against Miami and Patterson is still as good as he was before the injury then we'll be fine. If not there might be another repeat of that Bengals game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us