Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your take on the draft - Would you have done things any differently?

Your take on the draft - Would you have done things any differently?

Overall, I thought we had a good draft. I will give it a B for now until I see these guys on the field.

Our first pick was very good and the only issues I had with our second pick was that we did not trade up and that we left Jeremy Attachou on the board (I would rank him just above Amaro).

I thought the next two picks were the weakest picks we made in this draft but starting with our second fourth rounder we seemed to make much better decisions to finish out the draft.

I think I would have approached the draft a bit differently in that I would have worked the phones harder to make a couple trades happen. I strongly believe that there were opportunities to improve our draft considering that we did not move up or down at all.

Trade value chart I used for the first two trades:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Trade # 1 - Johnny Manziel, once he fell to # 18 we should have sold him off to the highest bidder. The Browns gave up their second third rounder to move up from 26 to 22. Vikings are also interested but we choose to stay in round one. Moving up to 18 should cost Cleveland more but to be conservative let's say that they give up their first third rounder and a seventh to move up from 26.

Trade # 2 - At this point (pick # 26) not only is our guy Pryor off the board but the run on safeties has begun. The 49ers who took the fourth safety at 29 did some wheeling and dealing later to move down from both of their second rounders to get more picks. To help the 49ers move up for the third safety (off the board at 27) and get more picks in round 3 & 4 we make the following trade:

Brown's 1st (26), Browns 3rd (71), Jets 4a (106), and Jets 4b (115) to 49ers
    for
    49ers 1st (29), 2b (59), 3rd (94), 4th (129), 5th (170), and three 7ths (242, 243 & 245) to Jets

Trade # 3 - I didn't like our options in round five so the Bears can have the pick for their sixth rounder (191) and a 2015 fifth rounder

If we could have made the trades above happen, here is what we could have walked away with based upon where the players went in this year's draft:

# Selection Points Overall Round Pick Pos Player College
    1 SF First Rounder 620 29 Rd 1 29 QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
    2 Jet's Second Roudner 400 50 Rd 2 17 OLB Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech
    3 SF Second Rounder 292 61 Rd 2 3 TE C.J. Fiedorowicz Washington
    4 Jet's Third Rounder 190 80 Rd 3 16 WR Donte Moncrief Mississippi
    5 SF Third Rounder 124 94 Rd 3 29 OG Brandon Thomas Clemson
    6 SF Fourth Rounder 43 129 Rd 4 29 CB Dontae Johnson NC State
    7 Jet's 4th Comp Pick N/A 137 Rd 4 37 OG David Yankee Stanford
    8 SF 5th 23.4 170 Rd 5 30 QB Zach Mettenberger LSU
    9 Bear's 6th 15 191 Rd 6 15 ILB Jordan Zumwalt UCLA
    10 Jet's 6th 13.4 195 Rd 6 33 OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif McGill (Canada)
    11 Jet's 6th Comp A N/A 209 Rd 6 36 OT Antonio Richardson Tennessee
    12 Jet's 6th Comp B N/A 210 Rd 6 37 CB Rashaad Reynolds Oregon State
    13 Jet's 6th Comp C N/A 213 Rd 6 39 TE Colt Lyerta Oregon
    14 Brown's 7th 4.2 218 Rd 7 3 WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley St.
    15 Jet's 7th 2 Rd 7 16 OLB Jackson Jeffcoat Texas
    16 SF 7th 2 242 Rd 7 27 TE A.C. Leonard Tennessee St.
    17 SF 7th 2 243 Rd 7 28 WR Austin Franklin New Mexico St.
    18 SF 7th 2 245 Rd 7 30 SS Craig Loston LSU

It really doesn't matter if they don't all make the team. These guys include plenty of potential starters, special team contributors, developmental projects, and a ton of competition in training camp.

Like I said, now that we finished strong I like our draft but I think we could have done a bit better.

I hope we get some of the undrafted guys on this list as free agents.

What would you have done differently?

Jets Insider VIP
    Ellington over Saunders. And I like Dozier but thought a Yankey or Trai Turner pick at OG would have been nice.

I'm giving this a solid B+ right now.

I would've preferred to trade up in the 2nd and get a Lee/Latimer/Robinson rather than get some guys who may not become anything like we did in the 4th and 6th.

Overall we met our needs very well but I liked some guys in the same positions that we passed over

Would have liked to gamble on a few more boom or bust guys with so many picks instead of loading up on lower ceiling but solid players

I do like our 1st 2 picks alot

All League
    Based on my limited knowledge of the players in comparison to the scouts, my initial
    thoughts were:

- I would have taken McGill in the 3rd instead of McDougle
    - I would have taken Ellington in the 4th instead of Saunders
    - I would have taken Coleman in the 4th instead of Evans

But I haven't studied them for months like the scouts. At this
    point the grade would be B+ for the needs that were addressed
    and the depth that was created
    Last edited by KRL; 05-10-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I would've preferred to trade up in the 2nd and get a Lee/Latimer/Robinson rather than get some guys who may not become anything like we did in the 4th and 6th.
    This! And it would be my only critique. I don't even mind "reaching" for Mcdougle if that is who they loved. But they had MORE than enough picks to find a way to move up and snag a top end WR. In such a deep draft, we shouldn't be settling for project WRs we should have landed one top end guy.

Veteran
    Would have traded up for Sammy Watkins. I got a thing for dope receivers. If we had still had the second third round pick I definitely would have done it.
    Until we provide Geno Smith with three good wideouts (Kerley and Decker) we won't live up to our biggest potential. We will make the playoffs though.

Rookie
    I wanted best punter with a later pick. I like the draft overall

Jets Insider VIP
    Dex Mcdougle, CB, Maryland could have been picked in the 6th or even UDFA. Terrible reach for a guy who had a broken collar bone and missed most of his senior year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Van Der Kamp?

I would have been okay with that instead of Boyd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Dex Mcdougle, CB, Maryland could have been picked in the 6th or even UDFA. Terrible reach for a guy who had a broken collar bone and missed most of his senior year.
    Heavy rumors that the Chiefs were taking him seven picks after the Jets. I do not think he lasts pass the fourth round. Uninjured, he is a second-round talent. His tape bears that out.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Do you know this for a fact, or is this from reading internet blogs?

I'm not saying he merits a first day pick, but the GMs would know better than anyone. He brought us 4-5 starters last season. He gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Are you sure? My friend still calls us the team that drafts kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Overall, I thought we had a good draft. I will give it a B for now until I see these guys on the field.

Our first pick was very good and the only issues I had with our second pick was that we did not trade up and that we left Jeremy Attachou on the board (I would rank him just above Amaro).

I thought the next two picks were the weakest picks we made in this draft but starting with our second fourth rounder we seemed to make much better decisions to finish out the draft.

I think I would have approached the draft a bit differently in that I would have worked the phones harder to make a couple trades happen. I strongly believe that there were opportunities to improve our draft considering that we did not move up or down at all.

Trade value chart I used for the first two trades:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Trade # 1 - Johnny Manziel, once he fell to # 18 we should have sold him off to the highest bidder. The Browns gave up their second third rounder to move up from 26 to 22. Vikings are also interested but we choose to stay in round one. Moving up to 18 should cost Cleveland more but to be conservative let's say that they give up their first third rounder and a seventh to move up from 26.

Trade # 2 - At this point (pick # 26) not only is our guy Pryor off the board but the run on safeties has begun. The 49ers who took the fourth safety at 29 did some wheeling and dealing later to move down from both of their second rounders to get more picks. To help the 49ers move up for the third safety (off the board at 27) and get more picks in round 3 & 4 we make the following trade:

Brown's 1st (26), Browns 3rd (71), Jets 4a (106), and Jets 4b (115) to 49ers
    for
    49ers 1st (29), 2b (59), 3rd (94), 4th (129), 5th (170), and three 7ths (242, 243 & 245) to Jets

Trade # 3 - I didn't like our options in round five so the Bears can have the pick for their sixth rounder (191) and a 2015 fifth rounder

If we could have made the trades above happen, here is what we could have walked away with based upon where the players went in this year's draft:

# Selection Points Overall Round Pick Pos Player College
    1 SF First Rounder 620 29 Rd 1 29 QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
    2 Jet's Second Roudner 400 50 Rd 2 17 OLB Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech
    3 SF Second Rounder 292 61 Rd 2 3 TE C.J. Fiedorowicz Washington
    4 Jet's Third Rounder 190 80 Rd 3 16 WR Donte Moncrief Mississippi
    5 SF Third Rounder 124 94 Rd 3 29 OG Brandon Thomas Clemson
    6 SF Fourth Rounder 43 129 Rd 4 29 CB Dontae Johnson NC State
    7 Jet's 4th Comp Pick N/A 137 Rd 4 37 OG David Yankee Stanford
    8 SF 5th 23.4 170 Rd 5 30 QB Zach Mettenberger LSU
    9 Bear's 6th 15 191 Rd 6 15 ILB Jordan Zumwalt UCLA
    10 Jet's 6th 13.4 195 Rd 6 33 OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif McGill (Canada)
    11 Jet's 6th Comp A N/A 209 Rd 6 36 OT Antonio Richardson Tennessee
    12 Jet's 6th Comp B N/A 210 Rd 6 37 CB Rashaad Reynolds Oregon State
    13 Jet's 6th Comp C N/A 213 Rd 6 39 TE Colt Lyerta Oregon
    14 Brown's 7th 4.2 218 Rd 7 3 WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley St.
    15 Jet's 7th 2 Rd 7 16 OLB Jackson Jeffcoat Texas
    16 SF 7th 2 242 Rd 7 27 TE A.C. Leonard Tennessee St.
    17 SF 7th 2 243 Rd 7 28 WR Austin Franklin New Mexico St.
    18 SF 7th 2 245 Rd 7 30 SS Craig Loston LSU

It really doesn't matter if they don't all make the team. These guys include plenty of potential starters, special team contributors, developmental projects, and a ton of competition in training camp.

Like I said, now that we finished strong I like our draft but I think we could have done a bit better.

I hope we get some of the undrafted guys on this list as free agents.

What would you have done differently?
    Appreciate the write up, time and thought, but this kind of thinking is a complete fallacy.

You can't project who the Jets would have taken if they had made trades, because as teams draft players, it dynamically changes the picks for all other teams.

the first three picks for the jets.told me that the jets really did their homework.the pck of macdougle was a sleeper pick for the jets.checkout his stats.

You have to have trade partners in order to trade, who are giving you fair value for your picks.

It's not Maddens.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Heavy rumors that the Chiefs were taking him seven picks after the Jets. I do not think he lasts pass the fourth round. Uninjured, he is a second-round talent. His tape bears that out.
    Agree with this 100%. His tape is very impressive. I like the pick a lot.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Are you sure? My friend still calls us the team that drafts kickers.
    No offense, but who cares about your friend. Our PK is very good but an elite punter would be a plus for a defense first team.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Agree with this 100%. His tape is very impressive. I like the pick a lot.
    Time will tell but Rex is pretty good with this and the doctors cleared him

Rookie
    Obviously, you need a trade partner but i was hoping to maybe trade a few 2014 late picks for 2015 picks. Im not sure we needed 12 bodies