Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idziks philosophy

All League

Idziks philosophy

What is it? This guy had control over 20 picks the last two years and never moved up, nor down (minus the comps). His only trade was for Ivory last year and that trade had time too develop.

Is his methodical approach a hindrance or a plus?

Hall Of Fame
    Ultimately his fate, as with any GM, will be determined if he finds a legit answer at QB. Methodical is good as long as ownership is on board.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    What is it? This guy had control over 20 picks the last two years and never moved up, nor down (minus the comps). His only trade was for Ivory last year and that trade had time too develop.

Is his methodical approach a hindrance or a plus?
    I like his philosophy, but ultimately he will be graded by wins/losses. As a GM, he deserves a few years to see how his approach works. I am willing to bet on him, slow and steady wins the race!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Idzik's philsophy:

No underachievers

No players who are soft

No players who don't produce

No players who have a questionable work ethic

Damn near the complete opposite of Tanny (Joe McKnight, Vlad Ducasse, Dustin Keller, Mark Sanchez, Vernon Gholston, etc)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Idzik's philsophy:

No underachievers

No players who are soft

No players who don't produce

No players who have a questionable work ethic

Damn near the complete opposite of Tanny (Joe McKnight, Vlad Ducasse, Dustin Keller, Mark Sanchez, Vernon Gholston, etc)
    I agree with this 100%. But what are his motives or lack of motives moving up and down throughout the draft.

You would think with all of our picks there would have at least been a little movement. Is he too slow at the trigger?

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with this 100%. But what are his motives or lack of motives moving up and down throughout the draft.

You would think with all of our picks there would have at least been a little movement. Is he too slow at the trigger?
    The moving up in the draft thing is similar to his free agent approach. He has a value in mind and isn't going to over pay.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The moving up in the draft thing is similar to his free agent approach. He has a value in mind and isn't going to over pay.
    The problem is he doesn't even move down, he doesn't move anywhere. Will it be a detriment...I have no idea, only time will tell.

But I can tell you I'm not happy with using all 12 picks. I don't care who the move up would have been for.

Fact is we are going too cut many of our picks from this year when we could have moved up for better talent.

What kills me and rips me apart is I loved most of the saturday picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    The problem is he doesn't even move down, he doesn't move anywhere. Will it be a detriment...I have no idea, only time will tell.

But I can tell you I'm not happy with using all 12 picks. I don't care who the move up would have been for.

Fact is we are going too cut many of our picks from this year when we could have moved up for better talent.

I felt the same at first, but we need bodies right now.

Hall Of Fame

Well had he moved up earlier in the draft, some of those picks you loved would not have been made. Realistically it is the two 4th round picks, Saunders and Evans that most likely would have been traded to move up.

All Pro

He won't overpay or take a deal that he feels is less than favorable, and he's satisfied with letting the draft board come to him(Starting the run on Safety with Calvin Pryor, Picked Amaro before TE talent dipped)

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    He won't overpay or take a deal that he feels is less than favorable, and he's satisfied with letting the draft board come to him(Starting the run on Safety with Calvin Pryor, Picked Amaro before TE talent dipped)
    And I think that's a fine strategy. It's usually a bad move to trade up, and with 12 picks obviously was no need to trade down this year.

Trading up is generally a poor idea because the draft is such a crap shoot, in recent years even players taken in the top 5 who were considered the "safe" picks - Robert Gallery, Aaron Curry - have been busts. When you trade up you are not only betting on knowing that the players you are trading up for will be worth it, you are also betting that you know enough about the teams drafting in front of you that the trade is necessary.

All League
    Well had he moved up earlier in the draft, some of those picks you loved would not have been made. Realistically it is the two 4th round picks, Saunders and Evans that most likely would have been traded to move up.
    Quite the conundrum, I agree. I'm still drooling over our 4th round haul, but Idzik seems so slow at the trigger that it never happens. Sometimes trades are good, at least when you end up using all 12 picks.

Maybe I should be asking: Is Idzik so methodical and calculating that he will ever be able too pull off a draft day trade?

The key thing will be to see how he is a year or more down the road when the team is closer to being very competitive. Right now he's being conservative, valuing picks, not making too many moves but that could change.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quite the conundrum, I agree. I'm still drooling over our 4th round haul, but Idzik seems so slow at the trigger that it never happens. Sometimes trades are good, at least when you end up using all 12 picks.

Maybe I should be asking: Is Idzik so methodical and calculating that he will ever be able too pull off a draft day trade?
    I think there's something to be said, and something to be admired about, just letting the draft come to you. Especially in the deepest draft since...sh*t, I don't know...10, 20...30 years ago...

The only two players I've never really seen play are Dozier and Dixon. But judging by the scouting reports, both have amazing upside. Especially Dozier who has been compared to Jonathan Cooper, who plenty of us would've been totally okay with selecting in the Top 15 last year.

I probably would've taken McGill or Desir over McDougle, but guys like Rex, Aaron Glenn and Dennis Thurman know a helluva lot more about DB's than I do.

Overall, I'm not complaining. Especially after getting my #1 TE in the 2nd without having to give up an extra pick to move up, and getting Reilly in the 7th who was one of my primary targets in the 3rd/4th.

Hall Of Fame
    I think there's something to be said, and something to be admired about, just letting the draft come to you. Especially in the deepest draft since...sh*t, I don't know...10, 20...30 years ago...

The only two players I've never really seen play are Dozier and Dixon. But judging by the scouting reports, both have amazing upside. Especially Dozier who has been compared to Jonathan Cooper, who plenty of us would've been totally okay with selecting in the Top 15 last year.

I probably would've taken McGill or Desir over McDougle, but guys like Rex, Aaron Glenn and Dennis Thurman know a helluva lot more about DB's than I do.

Overall, I'm not complaining. Especially after getting my #1 TE in the 2nd without having to give up an extra pick to move up, and getting Reilly in the 7th who was one of my primary targets in the 3rd/4th.
    It is funny that guys like Reilly and Jeffcoat, who a lot of had as 4th round picks in most of our mocks, went so late. Most of the guys we all really liked actually went a lot earlier than we had thought.

All League

UT As much as we have clashed in the past I agree with your sentiment 100%. I was damn near hate status with our first three rounders but I loved todays draft.

My only question going forward is: Is Idzik SOOO methodical that bang/bang draft day trades are out of the question because of his personality and manana personality ?

Hall Of Fame
    UT As much as we have clashed in the past I agree with your sentiment 100%. I was damn near hate status with our first three rounders but I loved todays draft.

My only question going forward is: Is Idzik SOOO methodical that bang/bang draft day trades are out of the question because of his personality and manana personality ?
    If there is a good deal to be made, he will make it. Idzik is an extremely bright guy, he is Ivy League educated and assigns everything a specific value when evaluating a situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    It is funny that guys like Reilly and Jeffcoat, who a lot of had as 4th round picks in most of our mocks, went so late. Most of the guys we all really liked actually went a lot earlier than we had thought.
    It is pretty crazy, but hey, it happens every year.

I was a bit weary of the McDougle pick, but If you told me that Justin Britt, Jay Bromley, Spencer Long or John Brown would've went in the 3rd round...I would've told you to get your head checked.

I understand the concerns about Reilly. 26 years old at the start of the season, some injuries in the past...but to get an old school, throwback, balls to the wall badass like this in the 7th round...like I said, my 2nd favorite pick next to Amaro. Especially considering that Trent Murphy, who I had a similar grade on, went in the 2nd round.

If anything I would expect a novice gm to get fleeced by the veterans. Was trader Mike extremely shrewd, or was he easy to get to agree on a deal?

I've said this before, but idziks approach seems SO unique that he's either in WAY over his head, or he's determined to stick to a philosophy he believes will win a championship. Until he gives me reason to doubt him I'll believe it's the latter . . .

All League
    If there is a good deal to be made, he will make it. Idzik is an extremely bright guy, he is Ivy League educated and assigns everything a specific value when evaluating a situation.
    Personally I love the Idzik style and the value he puts on each pick. My only concern, and it has come up before, that even through the ranks he is SO methodical, that it COULD be a detriment going forward.

The old phrase that comes up in my mind is " You snooze you lose". I never wanted too burn all twelve picks today.