Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What CBs don't make the roster?

What CBs don't make the roster?

As of now we have 9 CBs. We just signed Lankster and Walls to new contracts and we added Dimitri Patterson and Johnny Patrick in the FA. Ras I Dowling is still on the roster as well.

With the additions of McDougle and Dixon it would seem a few guys have to go.

Who do you think is on the way out?

All League
    #TooEarlyToTell

Veteran
    12 CBs actually

CB: Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, McDougle, Lankster, Walls, Dixon, Dowling, Reeves, Patrick, Rose, Taylor

Yeah how about we get thru training camp and some preseason games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets View Post
    As of now we have 9 CBs. We just signed Lankster and Walls to new contracts and we added Dimitri Patterson and Johnny Patrick in the FA. Ras I Dowling is still on the roster as well.

With the additions of McDougle and Dixon it would seem a few guys have to go.

Who do you think is on the way out?
    McDougle makes the team, Dixon goes to the PS (he does need significant technique work)

I'd like see us keep Walls and Patterson for sure. Patterson's health is the concern and I think Walls has earned a spot. Milliner is a given.

Ras-I Dowling, Johnny Patrick, Lankster, and Wilson are all possible cuts IMO.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-10-2014 at 10:54 PM.

MILLINER
    PATTERSON
    MCDOUGLE
    DIXON
    WILSON
    LANKSTER
    PATRICK

Jets Insider VIP
    How many total DBs do we usually keep? 8, 9?

If I had to guess I think we're looking at...

Antonio Allen
    Calvin Pryor
    Dawan Landry
    Josh Bush

Dee Milliner
    Patterson
    Walls
    McDougle
    Wilson (?)
    Lankster (?)

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Antonio Allen
    Calvin Pryor
    Dawan Landry
    Josh Bush

Dee Milliner
    Patterson
    Walls
    McDougle
    Wilson (?)
    Lankster (?)
    Definitely Lankster. The coaches love him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    MILLINER
    PATTERSON
    MCDOUGLE
    DIXON
    WILSON
    LANKSTER
    PATRICK
    Surprised Walls isn't in your list. He signed a two-year deal...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-f827fc902911

And this article from just before last season...

Why Jets Undrafted Cornerback Darrin Walls Should Be Week 1 Starter

All offseason long, the New York Jets have tried to sell their new philosophy of "fair and open competition," where the best players will play and no job is safe, no matter where a player was drafted or how much money he is making.

If the Jets plan on making good on their promise, former undrafted cornerback Darrin Walls should line up opposite Antonio Cromartie against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 1.

When Darrin Walls was signed to the Jets' practice squad in late September 2012, he was supposed to be nothing more than an extra practice body after Darrelle Revis was lost for the season.

A year later, and Walls is knocking on the door of a full-time starting gig.

The Notre Dame product actually began to flash with the Jets at the end of last year. When he was finally activated to the 53-man roster, Walls played 82 snaps without giving up a single catch and graded out as the best cornerback on the roster behind Revis and Cromartie, according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required).

Now that he has the attention of his coaches, Walls is slowly starting to be looked upon as a serious option at boundary corner. He got a significant amount of snaps opposite Kyle Wilson with the first team against the Giants in place of a nicked-up Cromartie. He gave up just two catches in 66 snaps and defended two passes.

By the end of the preseason, Pro Football Focus (subscription required) rated Walls as the single best cornerback of the preseason—in the entire NFL.

Meanwhile, the two players ahead of him on the depth chart, Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner—both first-round picks—are tied for 137th out of 148.

Why is Walls playing at such a high level while two first-round picks are struggling in the same spot? Walls is simply playing with better balance and technique and is confident enough to challenge his receivers at the line of scrimmage—and winning.

Balance and Patience

The most impressive part of Walls' game is how disciplined he is when playing press coverage, which is Rex Ryan's preferred style of man coverage in his aggressive, blitz-happy defense.

Many young corners have trouble adjusting to the NFL because of how well-developed the wide receivers' moves are. Too often, they take false steps and start guessing where the receiver is going to be rather than anticipating and reacting.

In this 3rd-and-10 situation, the Jets were set to run a Cover-1 Man Under—a fancy way of saying there is one deep safety with man coverage underneath. In third-down situations, this is Rex Ryan's bread and butter, as he uses the majority of his resources to apply pressure.

ScreenShot2013-09-03at5.24.53PM_crop_exact.jpg

The ball was snapped, and the receiver tried to shake Walls with shifty stutter steps. Walls was able to maintain balance by keeping his hips at an angle just over 90 degrees and ready to move in any direction by keeping his feet square to the receiver.

ScreenShot2013-09-03at5.26.09PM_crop_exact.jpg

As a result, Walls was able to get a hand on the receiver and pin him to the sideline, eliminating him as a viable target for Eli Manning.

ScreenShot2013-09-03at5.26.23PM_crop_exact.jpg

Meanwhile, on Kyle Wilson's side of the field:

ScreenShot2013-09-03at5.26.54PM_crop_exact.jpg

While Walls is certainly not the caliber of Darrelle Revis, he is very similar in his movement ability and balance. Like Revis, Walls is excellent at staying low without compromising his position.

Fluidity and Change of Direction

Both of these qualities are held in high regard when it comes to scouting college prospects, which only makes it more mind-boggling that Walls went undrafted.

Once again, Walls was in man coverage on the perimeter. Walls anticipated the go route the receiver ran and stayed stride-for-stride with him along the sideline. His first step was a near 180 degrees, which shows great fluidity that minimizes wasted movement....(continued)

(click the link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...week-1-starter)
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-10-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    MILLINER
    PATTERSON
    MCDOUGLE
    DIXON
    WILSON
    LANKSTER
    PATRICK
    Dixon has practice squad written all over him. Walls will take that spot.

Wilson 3 total career picks. He does not make plays

Jets Insider VIP
    I've turned into a Darrin Walls fan over the past year. Not that I think he shouldn't be upgraded as a CB2 but I definitely feel comfortable if he needs to be in there.

In my opinion it's...

CB1 - Dee Milliner
    CB2 - Competition between Patterson and Walls

McDougle was definitely drafted with the hope he grows into a CB2 by 2015.

The rest of the guys will shake out as either slot/nickel corners or backups IMO. There will be a big scrum for that last CB spot for sure. I don't think Wilson is safe.

Dixon is no doubt a 16-month project for the Practice Squad with the hope he can make the 53-man roster for 2015.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Kyle Wilson will get traded or cut.

Surprised Walls isn't in your list. He signed a two-year deal...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...5-f827fc902911

And this article from just before last season...

I'll take Walls over Dixon, Wilson and Patrick too. No biggie! JETS R goin to picup a vet on the waiverrr anyway,... no Big deal..

Lankster makes the team b/c of Special. Walls or Wilson could be goners.

If there are no serious TC injuries, I think we'll carry 6 CB's and those 6 IMO will be Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, Walls, Lankster and McDougle.

Dixon to the PS.

All Pro

Antonio Allen
    Calvin Pryor
    Dawan Landry
    Josh Bush

Dee Milliner
    Patterson
    Walls
    McDougle
    Wilson (?)
    Lankster (?)
    Rex usually keeps 6 CBs

Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    12 CBs actually

CB: Milliner, Patterson, Wilson, McDougle, Lankster, Walls, Dixon, Dowling, Reeves, Patrick, Rose, Taylor
    maybe we make a trade or two...Wlison?

Hall Of Fame
    I'm just glad we will have some guys competing with Wilson. He has shown very little in 4 years and his "starting" nickel back job had just about as much to do with where he was drafted than it did with his talent.

Milliner, Walls, and Patterson are the only locks IMO. If we carry 5, the other 2 slots will probably go to McDougle and either Wilson or Lankster. But, of course anyone could surprise in training camp/postseason.