Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: World According to Rex--World Cup edition

World According to Rex--World Cup edition

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I like soccer. I'm really looking forward to the World Cup. Soccer in general, and MLS specifically have made enormous strides in this country, but these MLS surveys that slice and dice data with small sample sizes and throw in qualifiers as "avid" fans among age cohorts go against all anecdotal and every other bit of empirical evidence to the contrary. Surveys, TV ratings, attendance, player/team sponsorships, search figures, social media fandom, etc. all say that soccer is most definitely NOT the second most popular sport among any age group in the U.S.

I thought this was pretty interesting. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...an-pro-sports/

This is the 30th and latest Harris poll on Sports popularity in the U.S.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...opular-mlb-2nd
    Survey neutrality is a concern in any realm. I don't believe that the survey I cited was commissioned by MLS or had any other vested interest in fixing the results in favor of soccer. But without knowing the methodology, you're right the results could be skewed. I suspect it's likely that many respondents indicated a preference in "soccer" but the poll changed the label to "pro soccer" in the results. That would explain some of what would otherwise be a surprising result. The reason I find that poll interesting is because it dips into the U18 opinion, which is usually unrepresented, as in that Harris poll.

Speaking of the Harris poll, the results are as expected, since the age range is simply "over 18". It's sort of an apples to oranges comparison with the 12-26 age range poll. However much one trusts Harris, there are things we don't know about that polling methodology either. Were the choices pre provided, was soccer even included? Was it labeled as "pro soccer" which would lead people to think MLS and perhaps not the European or Mexican league soccer they enjoy? It's also possible (but not plausible) that soccer is a great many people's second or third favorite sport; the poll only asks their favorite, and for a challenger sport in this country it's not unlikely that it provokes many more second-place preferences than champion preferences. Having second or third place status with a great many would still result in great popularity, however it would not be picked up by a poll that simply asks for favorites.

I think the 538 results are probably the most accurate of the bunch. 538 usually takes a reasonable and holistic approach to sampling, and I think search traffic is a pretty accurate way to look at something like team popularity.
    Last edited by Astoria; 06-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soberphobia View Post
    Sonny Bill Williams probably wouldnt be that bad in the LB stakes either.
    oh man how did I forget Sonny Bill...that's just a filthy athlete right there....was it Sonny Bill that did the insane behind the back pass for the try in the World Cup final last year?....anyway yes you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    OK so who pissed the farthest?
    i believe it was me

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The best basketball players have great feet. And who would stop Lebron going up for a header? There is no soccer player on earth that could get his head as high as Lebron James. He's also about 100lbs heavier and just as fast as most of them.

It simply doesn't work that way and you might not stop him going up for a header but you can stop people crossing it in the first place leaving you with an immobile,knackered every 7 minutes,lanky lump of uselessness taking up a jersey.If LeBron was to run box to box for 90 minutes without a break he wouldn't be 100ibs heavier than anyone for long

It's odd how the soccer fans want to lump rugby in with their game. Rugby is much more like football than soccer.

I never liked soccer because players can't use their hands. How can something be considered a sport if you don't even get to use your hand-eye coordination to play? It makes no sense.

If soccer is on the upswing in the US as some of their fans here claim, then it's probably because more soccer fans have come here to live.

Of all the things I'd pay to go see, soccer is at the very bottom of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post

If soccer is on the upswing in the US as some of their fans here claim, then it's probably because more soccer fans have come here to live.
    I'm guessing 1960 is the year you were born because that statement represents a very xenophobic and shallow world view. Git 'dem immgrants out, right? True americans would never like that pansy sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post

I never liked soccer because players can't use their hands. How can something be considered a sport if you don't even get to use your hand-eye coordination to play? It makes no sense.
    You're right, I looked up the definition of "sport" in every dictionary I could find, and they all maintained that HAND USAGE is absolutely critical to an activity being defined as such.

The very beauty of soccer is that the designers of the game took away the one thing that's most natural to humans. Very few sports handicap their players such. To succeed in soccer you're purposefully not allowed to use the best sporting tool which evolution has provided you. Oh, and at the very end you have to put the ball past someone who is allowed to use that tool. It's extremely challenging - but it's unlikely a Patriots fan can grasp the concept of a good fair challenge, having to cheat and murder in order to secure wins. Cheers.

All League
    Robin Van Persie, awesome goal. Netherlands absolutely destroyed Spain.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I'm guessing 1960 is the year you were born because that statement represents a very xenophobic and shallow world view. Git 'dem immgrants out, right? True americans would never like that pansy sport.

You're right, I looked up the definition of "sport" in every dictionary I could find, and they all maintained that HAND USAGE is absolutely critical to an activity being defined as such.

The very beauty of soccer is that the designers of the game took away the one thing that's most natural to humans. Very few sports handicap their players such. To succeed in soccer you're purposefully not allowed to use the best sporting tool which evolution has provided you. Oh, and at the very end you have to put the ball past someone who is allowed to use that tool. It's extremely challenging - but it's unlikely a Patriots fan can grasp the concept of a good fair challenge, having to cheat and murder in order to secure wins. Cheers.
    1960 was the year the AFL was born and the Boston Patriots were one of the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Yeow! Let's take things one at a time.

1960 was the year that the AFL and the Pats were born.

If I wanted to talk immigration as it affects society, then I would do that in the appropriate place. This is about how a larger number of immigrants affect soccer's popularity in the US. If soccer is so popular around the world, then people who come here from other countries will slightly raise the anemic soccer interest we have here. American born soccer fans are in a minority because it's boring to watch.

My question wasn't what the actual definition of sports should be, but how a sport can have rules that don't allow you to use your hands. By true definition the game should be called kickball, and it would still be boring to most Americans.

The most challenging thing about soccer isn't the taking away the use of the hands for the players, it's being able to sit through more than ten minutes of "action" at a time without falling asleep for the fans. It's just so boring.

I think you have things backwards Ranger Rex. All the SBs that the Pats have won came before the Jets employee turned Commish made taping from the sideline illegal and long before Hernandez ever put on a Pats uniform. If anything, those two things alone probably cost the Pats a couple of more wins and maybe another SB or two.
    Last edited by Pats1960; 06-13-2014 at 11:51 PM.