Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 189

Thread: World According to Rex--World Cup edition

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So, because the stadium is bigger more people are going to come? Not sure that makes a whole lot of sense. the average NBA attendance is 17,000 or so, which is less than full capacity
    Yes, genius. And you forgot the little part about Knicks tickets costing about 1000 times the amount of the average ticket to a soccer game. But seeing how dense you are it makes no sense to keep arguing with you. If the stadium was as tiny as the MSG then it would be physically impossible for them to have more people show up at their games.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    All sports other than the NFL suck, how about that? Does that work for you Soccer Advocates who are so hell bent on forcing another crappy sport on the American populous?
    +1

    I was watching the Eastern Conference finals at a buddies house two weeks ago and it just reaffirmed my belief in how basketball players are extreme pussies. Tons of these guys get barely slapped in the head going up for a rebound and then hit the floor like they just got shot in the f*cking face.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd rather watch grass grow

    I'd rather watch paint dry

    I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of sheers than sit through a boring ass soccer game for 3+ hours.
    Oh, you'd love the Politics forum here. They do that kinda stuff every day.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

    I was watching the Eastern Conference finals at a buddies house two weeks ago and it just reaffirmed my belief in how basketball players are extreme pussies. Tons of these guys get barely slapped in the head going up for a rebound and then hit the floor like they just got shot in the f*cking face.
    I used to share your thoughts but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm a casual fan (mostly playoff watcher now) but I used to think the same thing...."oh, that guy barely got bumped". I've seen enough seemingly innocent bumps end in injuries over the years that I don't subscribe to that now. There's certainly a lot of flopping but sometimes, those bumps are a lot harder than they look when guys get their nose or eye socket fractured. I think a lot of those "bumps" are a lot harder than they look on TV (when they aren't some flop).

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Soccer is the second most popular sport amongst people 12-30 years old.
    I have nothing against soccer but popular to watch, or to play? Its a cheap game to play equipment wise, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    MLS average attendance is higher than NBA and NHL avg attendance.
    Could that have something to do with the cost to attend? Probably cheaper per game than the NBA and NHL, without looking up the numbers.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Been going to football games for 40 years....seems to me like everyone is always enjoying themselves.
    People enjoy themselves at American football games. Maybe yelling sporadically every few plays, maybe the rowdy ones make a low guttural noise on big third downs. The game is punctuated by commercial breaks during which time you sit quietly and get blasted by stadium advertisements or go urinate. It's a fun day.

    At soccer games thousands of people sing in unison and jump around for 45 minutes straight, each half. Fans make 100 ft high elaborate displays (tifos) and set off smoke bombs and flares. This is all nonstop, with no commercial breaks each half. And this is MLS, which is not even in the top 4 leagues in the world.

    I've got nothing against American football, I prefer it greatly as a sport, but to me the in game experience isn't even close. It's the biggest secret the casual American sports fan doesn't know about - many still think the Yankees Stadium "bleacher creatures" are just darned about the craziest crazies who ever went to a game...because they chant...once a game.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I have nothing against soccer but popular to watch, or to play? Its a cheap game to play equipment wise, etc.



    Could that have something to do with the cost to attend? Probably cheaper per game than the NBA and NHL, without looking up the numbers.
    I believe the survey was generalized, as in "which of these sports do you prefer." Not sure though.

    As for cost per game discrepancy between the leagues, it's a very valid point in the NY area, but not sure about the rest of the country where bum seats to an NBA or NHL game are (anecdotally) about 30 bucks, close to MLS bum seats of probably around 20. Saving $10 probably isn't going to create a ton of NBA or NHL fans who go to MLS games only because it's cheap.

  8. #28
    Also, just because I find this topic very interesting to talk about not because I intend to call anybody out, but it always confuses me why people equate low scoring with boredom. By that logic an NBA game with 250 combined points scored must be the MOST MIND BLOWING THING YOUVE EVER SEEN.

    Of course it isn't. That's because there's nothing inherently entertaining about the arbitrary acts that game designers decide count as a "score."

    Is it inherently super exciting to watch a man with an oblong ball run across a painted line (a touchdown)? No. It's made exciting because of what it MEANS for the team and outcome of the game.

    In soccer there are fewer scoring events. But there is significant cause for excitement throughout the game because of what certain situations MEAN for the team and course of the game. It's the same concept. You could argue that potential scoring build ups (and subsequent celebrations) are more exciting in soccer than other sports because of the extreme ramifications of each scoring event.

    In other words, a near goal for your favourite soccer team carries the endgame probability implications (and subsequent fandom hope/despair) as your favourite NBA team hitting three consecutive 3 pointers. Personally, seeing the ball go through the hoop three times does not carry more endemic excitement. If the hope/despair excitement is equivalent, it's the same for me. YMMV.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portlandia, OR
    Posts
    1,125
    I am an American citizen. If I have disposable income, I should be able to use it to attend a sports match
    of my choosing. I can't always get down to Oakland to see the Jets. I can choose to go see the local MLS team
    all year for the price of one NFL ticket..

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Also, just because I find this topic very interesting to talk about not because I intend to call anybody out, but it always confuses me why people equate low scoring with boredom. By that logic an NBA game with 250 combined points scored must be the MOST MIND BLOWING THING YOUVE EVER SEEN.
    I think Roger is confused about this too and is trying to get football scores to look like basketball scores, in the mistaken belief that higher points equals higher popularity

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Could that have something to do with the cost to attend? Probably cheaper per game than the NBA and NHL, without looking up the numbers.


    It is absolutely cheaper. I pay under $350 for a season ticket in a supporters section in Red Bull Arena. A season ticket can be had for the upcoming launch of NYCFC for the same price, as well.

    As for Astoria's points, I am in 100% agreement. I've attended Yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Devils games my entire life, and the culture and atmosphere of the in-game experience is entirely different than a soccer match. The energy and passion are unmatched by any of the other major sports, IMO. That goes for both Red Bulls and USMNT matches that I've attended. And this is only speaking from experience attending American soccer matches, where our support is considered elementary compared to the rest of the world.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    It is absolutely cheaper. I pay under $350 for a season ticket in a supporters section in Red Bull Arena. A season ticket can be had for the upcoming launch of NYCFC for the same price, as well.

    As for Astoria's points, I am in 100% agreement. I've attended Yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Devils games my entire life, and the culture and atmosphere of the in-game experience is entirely different than a soccer match. The energy and passion are unmatched by any of the other major sports, IMO. That goes for both Red Bulls and USMNT matches that I've attended. And this is only speaking from experience attending American soccer matches, where our support is considered elementary compared to the rest of the world.
    So much this. The atmosphere at MLS games is great. You see a game in KC or Portland or RBA or Colombus or Montreal and the crowds are excellent. On an international level, the American Outlaws have created an xtraordinary experience if you see a US game - when i take Nfl fans to a game they are generally blown away.

    The Nfl is wonderful to watch and certainly my fave - but i dont understand why that would imply other leagues cant also be fun.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Ummm...yeah?
    Other way round...the stadiums are bigger because more people want to watch...simples

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    People enjoy themselves at American football games. Maybe yelling sporadically every few plays, maybe the rowdy ones make a low guttural noise on big third downs. The game is punctuated by commercial breaks during which time you sit quietly and get blasted by stadium advertisements or go urinate. It's a fun day.

    At soccer games thousands of people sing in unison and jump around for 45 minutes straight, each half. Fans make 100 ft high elaborate displays (tifos) and set off smoke bombs and flares. This is all nonstop, with no commercial breaks each half. And this is MLS, which is not even in the top 4 leagues in the world.

    I've got nothing against American football, I prefer it greatly as a sport, but to me the in game experience isn't even close. It's the biggest secret the casual American sports fan doesn't know about - many still think the Yankees Stadium "bleacher creatures" are just darned about the craziest crazies who ever went to a game...because they chant...once a game.
    Good post.....and here's a good example:The Poznan

    http://youtu.be/EdjxlIMTVTQ

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Other way round...the stadiums are bigger because more people want to watch...simples
    More people want to watch it because the tickets are like 5 bucks. Simples.

  16. #36
    Just started watching England V Honduras at sun life in Miami, it looks like there's about 25-30 thousand England fans at the game.

    Soccer fvckin blows compared to American football though IMO, I think I was born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

  17. #37
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd rather watch grass grow

    I'd rather watch paint dry

    I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of sheers than sit through a boring ass soccer game for 3+ hours.
    Each half is only 45 mins, and clock never stops.

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Also, just because I find this topic very interesting to talk about not because I intend to call anybody out, but it always confuses me why people equate low scoring with boredom. By that logic an NBA game with 250 combined points scored must be the MOST MIND BLOWING THING YOUVE EVER SEEN.

    Of course it isn't. That's because there's nothing inherently entertaining about the arbitrary acts that game designers decide count as a "score."

    Is it inherently super exciting to watch a man with an oblong ball run across a painted line (a touchdown)? No. It's made exciting because of what it MEANS for the team and outcome of the game.

    In soccer there are fewer scoring events. But there is significant cause for excitement throughout the game because of what certain situations MEAN for the team and course of the game. It's the same concept. You could argue that potential scoring build ups (and subsequent celebrations) are more exciting in soccer than other sports because of the extreme ramifications of each scoring event.

    In other words, a near goal for your favourite soccer team carries the endgame probability implications (and subsequent fandom hope/despair) as your favourite NBA team hitting three consecutive 3 pointers. Personally, seeing the ball go through the hoop three times does not carry more endemic excitement. If the hope/despair excitement is equivalent, it's the same for me. YMMV.
    Hey, that's all good and great that you enjoy soccer.

    Personally, I think it f*cking sucks.

    America could be in the world cup finale and I still wouldn't have a shred of interest in watching.

    Just because it's a popular sport doesn't mean that I have to find it captivating. Baseball is popular in this country, doesn't mean I have to like it. Hell, I used to get bored playing baseball as a kid, much less watching it on TV for 3+ hours.

  19. #39
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Hey, that's all good and great that you enjoy soccer.

    Personally, I think it f*cking sucks.

    America could be in the world cup finale and I still wouldn't have a shred of interest in watching.

    Just because it's a popular sport doesn't mean that I have to find it captivating. Baseball is popular in this country, doesn't mean I have to like it. Hell, I used to get bored playing baseball as a kid, much less watching it on TV for 3+ hours.
    I can watch a LOT of sports and enjoy them, including, on a regular basis, golf, soccer, and auto racing. I can't watch baseball anymore though. It's gotten sooooo slow.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    The NFL will always be number one but soccer is going nowhere. The amount of teams in the MLS will have almost doubled by 2015 and there is even one franchise
    "in the south." Which I find disgusting in general. NBC Sports Network got good ratings for the Premier League this season, and since it comes on at 5 in the morning
    it isn't even a threat to you're NFL. I am not saying I like soccer more than football, what American could, but it only stops once and there are no commercials.
    Can my fellow Jet's fans grasp that? BTW Setting up an NFL team in London, BAD IDEA.
    shut up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us