Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World According to Rex--World Cup edition

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    The NFL will always be number one but soccer is going nowhere. The amount of teams in the MLS will have almost doubled by 2015 and there is even one franchise
    "in the south." Which I find disgusting in general. NBC Sports Network got good ratings for the Premier League this season, and since it comes on at 5 in the morning
    it isn't even a threat to you're NFL. I am not saying I like soccer more than football, what American could, but it only stops once and there are no commercials.
    Can my fellow Jet's fans grasp that? BTW Setting up an NFL team in London, BAD IDEA.

Seriously?
    More and more kids are wearing professional soccer jerseys.
    Walk into any major sporting goods store like Dick's and there are soccer jerseys everywhere. The same kids who were on soccer field 20 years are growing the sport.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I can watch a LOT of sports and enjoy them, including, on a regular basis, golf, soccer, and auto racing. I can't watch baseball anymore though. It's gotten sooooo slow.
    It's ridiculous.

Arguably the slowest team sport of all-time has gotten even slower.

Nevermind the implementation of instant replay and what have you.

But between EVERY SINGLE PITCH you have the batter back away from the plate, spit, f*ck around with the velcro straps on his batting gloves, etc.

And the season is so damn long that it makes watching games for the first 3 months of the season a total waste of time. In a sport that consists of 162 games a season, where even the best teams lose 60+ games a year...what the hell is the point in me devoting 3+ hours of my time in May or June to watch a game when the outcome really doesn't even matter?

Ever since boxing fell off a cliff, I've been strictly a football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This, to me, is an amazing statistic. It's actually hard to believe but it's true.
    You guys realize that America is the anomaly when it comes to soccer. It's the most popular sport in the world and it's not even close. People who think soccer is boring just don't understand the sport at all. What's even more ridiculous is that the same people saying soccer is boring love baseball. Go figure.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    You guys realize that America is the anomaly when it comes to soccer. It's the most popular sport in the world and it's not even close. People who think soccer is boring just don't understand the sport at all. What's even more ridiculous is that the same people saying soccer is boring love baseball. Go figure.
    Soccer is the most popular sport because it costs the price of a ball and takes little skill at the non pro level. European soccer makes ours look like HS girls.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    It only takes a round, inflatable ball and two goals to play soccer. That's why it's so popular. Because even ultra-poor people in 3rd world sh*tholes have the means to play it.

And no, I don't understand soccer.

Nor do I care to take the time to understand it because it's boring as sh*t and I have zero interest in it.

P.S.

Baseball sucks too
    Last edited by Untouchable; 06-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's ridiculous.

But between EVERY SINGLE PITCH you have the batter back away from the plate, spit, f*ck around with the velcro straps on his batting gloves, etc.

And the season is so damn long that it makes watching games for the first 3 months of the season a total waste of time. In a sport that consists of 162 games a season, where even the best teams lose 60+ games a year...what the hell is the point in me devoting 3+ hours of my time in May or June to watch a game when the outcome really doesn't even matter?

Sounds like you need to give hockey a chance.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    I've actually started to get into hockey over the past year or so.

It's ridiculous.

When I was a kid growing up, you could always watch the grass grow. Even that, for the most part, is now gone.

Veteran
    Been helping my next door neighbor walk her dog while she's sick. That ends when the World Cup starts.

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    Watched the Rangers play LA last night. Pretty exciting game.

The weakness of the NHL is the referees. They invariably tilt the ice to one team or another. I do have Ranger Paranoia--might be insanity, might be good observation. But the calls and non-calls favored LA.

Incompetence or dishonesty? The NHL owners are so stupid that it is hard to know. The last work stoppage in the NHL was a lockout by the owners because the players had completely outnegotiated the owners in the previous contract. Compare that to the recent NFL contract (rookie cap) and you get a feel for the vast chasm in intelligence between the two groups of owners.

But the hockey was great by both teams.

All League
    Each half is only 45 mins, and clock never stops.
    So if the ball goes out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop? Why would they make those rules???

Each half is only 45 mins, and clock never stops.
    The ball is round...

So that he game can change direction.

I'd rather watch grass grow

I'd rather watch paint dry

I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of sheers than sit through a boring ass soccer game for 3+ hours.
    Yea right...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Yea right...
    Believe it, slick

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Watched the Rangers play LA last night. Pretty exciting game.

The weakness of the NHL is the referees. They invariably tilt the ice to one team or another. I do have Ranger Paranoia--might be insanity, might be good observation. But the calls and non-calls favored LA.

Incompetence or dishonesty? The NHL owners are so stupid that it is hard to know. The last work stoppage in the NHL was a lockout by the owners because the players had completely outnegotiated the owners in the previous contract. Compare that to the recent NFL contract (rookie cap) and you get a feel for the vast chasm in intelligence between the two groups of owners.

But the hockey was great by both teams.
    I lean towards incompetence and confirmation bias. But that goalie interference on Henrik was absolutely egregious and is enough to squash my nascent interest in an appreciation of the sport. I hope you're listening NHL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    The ball is round...

LOL. Also, So that he game can change direction.
    And give the players a ten second break. I think most football players would collapse of exhaustion if they had to play 10 minutes of soccer.

Hall Of Fame
    Most of the world is retarded. Soccer is no different.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    And give the players a ten second break. I think most football players would collapse of exhaustion if they had to play 10 minutes of soccer.
    And soccer players would look like the red streaks you see on the road after a car runs over a squirrel if they played 4 downs of football.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Believe it, slick
    OK, enjoy life as a eunich, ya ball-less SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Soccer is the second most popular sport amongst people 12-30 years old. MLS average attendance is higher than NBA and NHL avg attendance.

Soccer is thankfully here to stay. American football fans could learn something from the passion, creativity, and atmosphere soccer supporters bring for the full 90 minutes every game. There's a huge divide between the soccer game stadium experience and every other American sport; "Let's go (team name)" is so Neanderthal and boring after you've been to just a few soccer matches.
    Average attendance is higher?

Scorer stadiums hold 70,000 to 100,000 people.

Nba and nhl arenas hold 15,000 to 20,000 people.

Idiot.