Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " The Most Overrated and Underrated Player on Every NFL Roster " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Cool " The Most Overrated and Underrated Player on Every NFL Roster " ~ ~ ~

The Most Overrated and Underrated Player on Every NFL Roster

Not every player on an NFL roster can be a legitimate superstar. While most players strive to earn their place among the league's elite, the reality is that some are overrated and some are completely overlooked.

Over the next several pages, we will take a look at the most overrated and underrated players on every NFL team. We're talking about the players who have been lauded by the media, the fans and by fellow professionals who are not realistically deserving of the accolades.

We will, of course, also examine the unheralded few who deserve the type of credit that is given to their overrated counterparts.

This list is not meant to be a prediction of future success. It is a look at the players who have received far too much credit and those who haven't received nearly enough.

~ ~ Overrated : QB Geno Smith

Leave it to the New York Jets to overhype one of their own players.The Jets have tabbed Geno Smith as their quarterback of the future and have made it clear that the second-year pro has the inside track over veteran Michael Vick in this year's quarterback competition.If Smith really is the future of the Jets organization, then the team is banking on a player who produced 25 turnovers and was ranked 41st among quarterbacks in 2013 by Pro Football Focus.

Underrated : RB Chris Ivory

While the Jets offense was far from impressive last season (ranked 25th, averaging 318.1 yards per game), running back Chris Ivory did get a few opportunities to shine.The former New Orleans Saints backup rushed for 833 yards with a 4.6 yards-per-carry average. These numbers wouldn't be particularly impressive if Ivory were a more-heralded player (see C.J. Spiller), but he is far from a star. Ivory earned just $750,000 in base salary last season, which is a bargain price for a capable NFL running back.

rest of above article :
    > http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ery-nfl-roster

I don't see how Geno is overrated. I feel like most fans (outside of Jets fans) think he sucks.

Overrated , Mangold. Underrated, Kerley &"Ivory.

Veteran
    Overrated snacks.
    Underrated kerley

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    I don't see how Geno is overrated. I feel like most fans (outside of Jets fans) think he sucks.
    He said the Jets overrate him - not the rest of the league. Can't really disagree as we're choosing to ignore stats in favor of "potential". . .

Overrated: Sheldon Richardson (offense)

Underrated: Sheldon Richardson (defense)

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    He said the Jets overrate him - not the rest of the league. Can't really disagree as we're choosing to ignore stats in favor of "potential". . .
    We are paying him less then a mil to play because there werent any better option. I dont think this front office over rates him at all. I think people are more overrating Vick and that crap QB draft class we just saw. We could have pulled a TB and signed a 40 year old McCown to start but in reality that isnt any better. Geno at least could have a future. I dont think that is over rating at all. You can say that of any QB. IMO he is just in the right place at the right time. How he does is all on him and no one really knows what he will do. I think most are still just under rating him really because they dont like his attitude. Which sense he has come to NY I think has been better really. The kid deserves a chance he isnt by any means the worst QB prospect to be given a shot. IMO he isnt even the worst QB prospect we have given that shot to over the last 6 year.

Veteran
    Don't see how Geno is overrated, if anything the fans have been pretty cold to him. The guy is a quarterback in
    NY, though. Of course he is going to get some headline space.

All Pro
    Interesting to see three ex-Jets on other teams "under rated" palyers - John Conner, Matt Slauson, Ben Hartsock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We are paying him less then a mil to play because there werent any better option. I dont think this front office over rates him at all. I think people are more overrating Vick and that crap QB draft class we just saw. We could have pulled a TB and signed a 40 year old McCown to start but in reality that isnt any better. Geno at least could have a future. I dont think that is over rating at all. You can say that of any QB. IMO he is just in the right place at the right time. How he does is all on him and no one really knows what he will do. I think most are still just under rating him really because they dont like his attitude. Which sense he has come to NY I think has been better really. The kid deserves a chance he isnt by any means the worst QB prospect to be given a shot. IMO he isnt even the worst QB prospect we have given that shot to over the last 6 year.
    Based on last year's stats, this post is the definition of overrating a player, especially the last two sentences.

Of course we're hoping last year's stats weren't indicative of who Geno will be, but outsiders don't care about that, and will laugh at our trust in Geno until he gives them reason not to . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Overrated: Sheldon Richardson (offense)

Underrated: Sheldon Richardson (defense)
    yup...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Interesting to see three ex-Jets on other teams "under rated" palyers - John Conner, Matt Slauson, Ben Hartsock.
    I never understood why we got rid of John Conner, the Terminator... he was an absolute beast.

Just shows how poor our offensive coaching was during the Circus, the fact we couldn't develop three under-rated players like that.

Based on last year's stats, this post is the definition of overrating a player, especially the last two sentences.

Of course we're hoping last year's stats weren't indicative of who Geno will be, but outsiders don't care about that, and will laugh at our trust in Geno until he gives them reason not to . . .
    How so? Marks numbers where never any better. We road him for 4 years on much worse play then what we saw last year. Have you looked at Marks rookie stats? He played the whole year and barely moved the ball. He average like 130 yards per game. At worst he is better then Mark already. Mark is likely to not even be a #2 in Philly behind BARKLEY! That is how bad he plays.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    I never understood why we got rid of John Conner, the Terminator... he was an absolute beast.

Just shows how poor our offensive coaching was during the Circus, the fact we couldn't develop three under-rated players like that.
    Yeah I really liked Connor, liked how he would knock the crap outta defenders, especially on special teams. I think he was injured when we released him, plus the coaching staff was down on his lead blocking, but not 100% sure.

It's funny cause you'll hear a lot of posters and Jets fans knock Tannenbaum and Rex for drafting him even though he was just a 5th round pick and showed potential. If it wasn't for Hard Knocks I don't think fans would of criticized Connor or the move to Draft him as much as they do.....The hype from Hard Knocks seemed to add fuel to the fire IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Overrated snacks.
    Underrated kerley

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    How is the number 1 run stopper in the NFL overrated? Go look at his PFF numbers, they are off the chart.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This

Over the next several pages, we will take a look at the most overrated and underrated players on every NFL team. We're talking about the players who have been lauded by the media, the fans and by fellow professionals who are not realistically deserving of the accolades.
    It's a stretch to call Geno Smith overrated by this criteria.

Geno Smith is a very dumb pick for overrated and the reasoning in the article is dumb as well. 2nd round rookie QB, no one has come out and in a Sanchez like fashion declared him our franchise guy. Ivory is a decent pick for underrated.

My pick for overrated would be Calvin Pace most likely. The Jets don't really have any standout overrated guys since they have purged the likes of Sanchez and Holmes.

this just sounds like another chance to bash the jets. it's a stupid article.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    not really.... many of the Jet loyal also feels he sucks