Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World According to Rex--World Cup edition

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

World According to Rex--World Cup edition

On sharing the facility with the Portugal soccer team…

I think we have two guys that maybe know, “Hey, that’s a soccer ball,” and be able to identify that. Maybe [Nick] Folk and Breno [Giacomini]. I think Breno has a background in soccer, obviously as a goalie. He just stands there like this [arms and legs extended]. Penalty kick, I’m good. You've got to be careful they don’t thrown it through the 5-hole on Breno. I understand they got a guy that’s pretty decent. If all you've got is one name, you’re pretty good, I think. Then somebody said he made 28 million on his contract alone and I was like, “What? Golly." So Seth [his son] is now kicking a soccer ball and not a football.

Man has a sense of humor. You can see why his players like him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soccer sucks my acehole

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL will always be number one but soccer is going nowhere. The amount of teams in the MLS will have almost doubled by 2015 and there is even one franchise
    "in the south." Which I find disgusting in general. NBC Sports Network got good ratings for the Premier League this season, and since it comes on at 5 in the morning
    it isn't even a threat to you're NFL. I am not saying I like soccer more than football, what American could, but it only stops once and there are no commercials.
    Can my fellow Jet's fans grasp that? BTW Setting up an NFL team in London, BAD IDEA.
    Last edited by pdxjets; 06-05-2014 at 09:25 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

World According to Rex--World Cup edition

Soccer is the second most popular sport amongst people 12-30 years old. MLS average attendance is higher than NBA and NHL avg attendance.

Soccer is thankfully here to stay. American football fans could learn something from the passion, creativity, and atmosphere soccer supporters bring for the full 90 minutes every game. There's a huge divide between the soccer game stadium experience and every other American sport; "Let's go (team name)" is so Neanderthal and boring after you've been to just a few soccer matches.
    Last edited by Astoria; 06-06-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great sport...but admittedly it's an acquired taste. The instant gratification requirements and constant scoring needs of many US sports fans makes soccer intolerable for many people which is unfortunate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Soccer is the second most popular sport amongst people 12-30 years old. MLS average attendance is higher than NBA and NHL avg attendance.

Soccer is thankfully here to stay. American football fans could learn something from the passion, creativity, and atmosphere soccer supporters bring for the full 90 minutes every game. There's a huge divide between the soccer game stadium experience and every other American sport; "Let's go (team name)" is so Neanderthal and boring after you've been to just a few soccer matches.
    College football is on the same level as Soccer I think in terms of atmosphere, creativity, passion and all that. NFL fans however are a boring bunch, they hardly show any passion in the stadium. Our Jets chant is probably the craziest thing fans do in pro football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Soccer is ****ing retarded

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meh, I'll pay attention to the World Cup but that's about it. Boring as hell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Been going to football games for 40 years....seems to me like everyone is always enjoying themselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Great sport...but admittedly it's an acquired taste. The instant gratification requirements and constant scoring needs of many US sports fans makes soccer intolerable for many people which is unfortunate.
    Wasn't exposed to soccer as a kid(I'm from the concrete jungle, where basketball reigns supreme) but even since watching the world cup in 2006 I've grown to enjoy soccer very much.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather watch grass grow

I'd rather watch paint dry

I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of sheers than sit through a boring ass soccer game for 3+ hours.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

This, to me, is an amazing statistic. It's actually hard to believe but it's true.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This, to me, is an amazing statistic. It's actually hard to believe but it's true.
    Arent like most MLS game played in like 65k+ football stadiums?

NBA and NHL hold like 20K. Simple math people.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not hard to believe at all. The MSG has like 20k seats compared to the Soccer stadium (80k). Plus try paying for some Knicks tickets and compare that to whatever a ticket to a soccer game is gonna cost you. It only makes sense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red Bull Arena is only 25k capacity. The average MLS game is 20k capacity. Some soccer teams play in NFL stadiums, like Foxboro, but that's only because Kraft owns both teams, and the capacity is artificially reduced in the case of MLS games on NFL stadiums.
    Last edited by david1023; 06-06-2014 at 11:20 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Arent like most MLS game played in like 65k+ football stadiums?

NBA and NHL hold like 20K. Simple math people.

Most of the Mls stadiums hold between 20,000 to 30,000 they are soccer spefic stadiums.

They play in a few NFL stadiums , in seatlle the Seattle Sounders averarge over 40,000 a game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Not hard to believe at all. The MSG has like 20k seats compared to the Soccer stadium (80k). Plus try paying for some Knicks tickets and compare that to whatever a ticket to a soccer game is gonna cost you. It only makes sense.
    They sold out Michigan University stadium in 24 hours 100,000 tickets. at high ticket prices.
    Tickets sold out for Real Madrid vs. Manchester United game at Michigan Stadium

http://www.mlive.com/sports/ann-arbo...real_madr.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    So, because the stadium is bigger more people are going to come? Not sure that makes a whole lot of sense. the average NBA attendance is 17,000 or so, which is less than full capacity

The one argument against this - there are a lot less games, a lot less teams and tickets are cheaper...But still, the fact that soccer is even close is amazing to me.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 06-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, because the stadium is bigger more people are going to come?
    Ummm...yeah?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All sports other than the NFL suck, how about that? Does that work for you Soccer Advocates who are so hell bent on forcing another crappy sport on the American populous?