Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What has been the biggest reason for the Jets' Super Bowl draught?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    For how great marino and manning are, they only have 1 super bowl btwn them.
    I'd take that with being competitive for over a decade then watching a coaching/qb carousel every couple years and continuously missing the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Lack of a Top Notch QB is definitely the major part of the problem. But here are two disastrous decisions by management which threw the team into downward spirals which took quite awhile to get out of:

1. Firing Walt Michaels after an appearance in the AFC Championship game. (still can't believe we lost to a Dolphins team QBed by David Woodley). Joe Walton was a terrible coach who alienated and got rid of the team's best players (Todd, Powell, Ward, Buttle, Klecko -- need I go on)

2. Firing Pete Carroll after only one season because -- GEE WHIZ -- Dick Kotite became available. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.Wonder what would've happened if Carroll stayed as coach? (two theories: maybe he wasn't ready yet or maybe he would've matured more quickly into the coach he currently is. I'd like to relive history and see)

One other thing: I am STILL PEEVED at Miami cheating in that AFC Championship game by never covering the field with a tarp. Yes, the great Don Shula cheated. If I were Leon Hess I would have been furious to the point of calling the commissioner and threatening not to let my players take the field.

THIS is why I hate the fish. Never got over that fiasco. Thought about this when LeBron cramped up last night for the Heat. Hope it costs Miami an NBA title and Miami fans believe that San Antonio did it to them on purpose so they can feel screwed like they did us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Ownership.

Look at the teams currently sustaining success, most of them have had no or very little change in ownership. I 100% believe that it starts at the top with good ownership.
    Ownership. It's the only constant with unsuccessful franchises. I know many hate Woody but I think we're on the right track... Leon Hess was the problem with the Jets for a very, very long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    At the risk of being the English major in the room, this question is technically asking about the Jets DRAUGHT (which is pronounced draft, as in beer).

While I do not know what the Jets Super Bowl draught is, I assume they will all be drinking it if their Super Bowl DROUGHT ever ends . . .
    Lol, wanted to say it but figured someone else would.

Weak ownership.....then & now

Bad drafting plain and simple.

All Pro
    A lack of Super Bowl rain.

All Pro
    3 AFC Championship losses

and a quarterback

Couple reasons why...

1. NO LONG TERM FRANCHISE QB. Since Joe Namath left town, the Jets just haven't had a long time franchise QB, someone who plays at a high or near-high level for over 10 years. Pennington was on his way before injuries sapped his arm strengh, Vinny got old, O'Brien, Todd and Sanchez regressed...it's always something.

2. BAD MANAGEMENT. This list can go on forever. Firing Walt Michaels and Pete Carroll, hiring Lou Holtz and Rich Kotite, failing to secure Laverneus Coles and Keyshawn Johnson( I would put Belichick but this wasn't the teams fault as they already paid him and he took the money and ran), and worst of all some obviously HORRIBLE draft decisions. Passing over Marino, (who was basically a Namath clone), Sapp, Jerry Rice, Ed Reed, taking a fullback in the first round, etc. You can't keep doing these things over and over and over and expect to win.

3. BAD LUCK. Best team in football in 1986, lose the last 5 games due to a rash of in juries and O'Brien suddenly turning into a bad QB. 8-3 in 2008, miss playoff due to Farve's arm falling off and Kris Jenkins' back giving out. Ready to rock 1999, Viiny tears his Achilles heel the first game. God deciding that the weekend of January 23, 1983 would be a perfect time to drop a drenching tropical rain storm on Miami. 1987 strike kills a 2-0 start due to lousy replacements and fractured team. Bill Simpson blowing his coverage assingment, which puts him in the right place to pick off Todd in the '81 playoffs (he was supposed to be somewhere else). Doug Brien. Doug Brien. DOUG F*&%@ING BRIEN!!!

Leon Hess was the stupidest owner in the history of professional sports. From 1968 when he bought our Werblin until is waaaaaaaay to late demise(for Jets, not family), the Jets had no serious opportunity to win the SB.

Management consisted of the proverbial 12 typing monkeys, occasionally you got a poem but mostly it was gibberish.

Veteran
    1. Bad Ownership: Only became a fan during the last few Leon Hess years, but he always pulled the plug to early and hired
    stopgap GMs and head coaches, minus Parcells of course. Who would have won this team a championship had he stayed. Woody
    has meant well, but hasn't learned the lesson. Let's the wrong people control the show and then changes his mind when there
    is a hitch in the road.

2. Bad Management: *BINGO* I would put the Jets up with the worst management in NFL and maybe commercial sports history. You'd
    think with the biggest market in sports, a fan-base that keeps selling out every game year after year, and the greatest colors in sport,
    the team would attract some creative minds. Ehh! If I believed in luck, then this is where I'd say we've had our worst.

3. Drafting: Looking at the amount of HOF'ers the Jets have drafted. Not too many. The Packers, Steelers and Niners,
    were all built on amazing draft classes. This may come down to scouting or luck, but I don't believe in luck, so I am guessing that it comes
    from a good eye for talent. Nowadays, with a limited roster and salary cap, it is hard to develop depth. And that is really what makes SB winners.
    Too many injuries can make or break a season.

Hmmm. How'd I do? Only been a team fan for 20 years or so.

I've been a Jets fan since the late 1960s. To me, the dismissal of Walt Michaels as HC was the "course" change in Jets history. Michaels took over what was probably the worst team in the NFL (except for the expansion Bucs) and lead them from their 3rd straight 3-11 season in '77 to the brink of the Super Bowl in '82. Remember there was no free agency back then, he methodically built a team! Even in his first year, when the Jets finished 3-11 you saw a much different team then the previous 2 seasons with the same record. Unfortunately, Michaels took the loss in the "Mud Bowl" very hard and his irrational behavior upset then Jets President Jim Kensil:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4086,6518413

Ironically Joe Walton, who the Jets were afraid of losing, turned out to be a disappointment as HC. I believe had the Jets retained Michaels, the course of team history would have been different. BTW, I remember back when this happened, another disagreement between Michaels and Jets management was Dan Marino. Michaels wanted to draft him, but the Jets front office did not.

I don't know the full history of the Jets but I will say the organization's collapse in the last few years has been pretty astonishing.
    Two AFC Championship games (one of which should of been a SB appearance at least) all the way down to the butt fumble

Putrid front office. Horrid, Jerry Jonesesque ownership, awful contracts, and some bad coaching instincts.

1Word

Itzabizznizzzzz

Letting Woodhead go.

Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    Marino never won a Superbowl.
    Is this why Kentucky Jet "disliked" my post?

My point was the Jets not being able to get a FRANCHISE QB. And, Superbowl or not, Marino *was* a Franchise QB. Whether you like him or not(and I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    What has been the biggest organizational failure for the Jets over the last 40 or so years, in your opinion? Bad management, coaching, drafting? What's your take?
    You should stop making threads... You're obviously young.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't know the full history of the Jets but I will say the organization's collapse in the last few years has been pretty astonishing.
    Two AFC Championship games (one of which should of been a SB appearance at least) all the way down to the butt fumble

Putrid front office. Horrid, Jerry Jonesesque ownership, awful contracts, and some bad coaching instincts.
    STFU you know nothing

When Brady retires and you don't have a HOF QB anymore, the Pats will go back to sucking and being an up and down team, and you can go back bandwagon fan before you became a Pats fan a couple of years ago.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I've been a Jets fan since the late 1960s. To me, the dismissal of Walt Michaels as HC was the "course" change in Jets history. Michaels took over what was probably the worst team in the NFL (except for the expansion Bucs) and lead them from their 3rd straight 3-11 season in '77 to the brink of the Super Bowl in '82. Remember there was no free agency back then, he methodically built a team! Even in his first year, when the Jets finished 3-11 you saw a much different team then the previous 2 seasons with the same record. Unfortunately, Michaels took the loss in the "Mud Bowl" very hard and his irrational behavior upset then Jets President Jim Kensil:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4086,6518413

Ironically Joe Walton, who the Jets were afraid of losing, turned out to be a disappointment as HC. I believe had the Jets retained Michaels, the course of team history would have been different. BTW, I remember back when this happened, another disagreement between Michaels and Jets management was Dan Marino. Michaels wanted to draft him, but the Jets front office did not.

What sort of "irrational" behavior: