Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Flowers Is Now A Free Agent ...

All League

Brandon Flowers Is Now A Free Agent ...

Will be interesting to see if we bring him in for a look:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...randon-flowers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Cornerback Brandon Flowers, a six-year starter, was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday. Flowers played in his first Pro Bowl game last season.

Flowers had been absent from the Chiefs' offseason practices this year, indicating he was unhappy playing in Kansas City. The Chiefs shifted him to nickel back last season in obvious passing situations.

Marcus Cooper, the third cornerback last season as a rookie, had replaced Flowers in the starting lineup during offseason practice.

Flowers had been a solid player for the Chiefs until 2013, when he had perhaps his worst season despite making the Pro Bowl. New general manager John Dorsey favors bigger cornerbacks and the 5-foot-9 Flowers struggled in the Chiefs' new defensive system, which often called for Flowers to cover bigger and more physical receivers.

"We appreciate Brandon's contributions to the team over the last six seasons," Dorsey said in a statement. "It's in the best interest of the club and the player to part ways at this time. We wish him nothing but the best as he continues his career."

I don't see why not. Couldn't hurt

Carmelo is available too.

Jet fans are going to be all over signing Brandon Flowers and are going to get all upset when Idzik pays him no mind. A team that builds through the draft is going to go into every season with a few unproven players. This year the cornerback position is going to be just that. Dexter McDougle and Dimitri Patterson are the cornerbacks after Milliner

Haha, He doesn't play solid D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Cool, now we'll get another 12 page thread arguing whether he fits into Rex's D or not by people who have no clue if he does or doesn't.

Come on, this isn't Madden. We drafted a corner fairly high and we picked up Patterson for a decent amount of money. We can't go out the and spend big bucks on yet another corner.

All Pro
    They clearly haven't wanted him for a while and it sounds mutual, why would they wait so long to release him?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Brandon Lavar Flowers

Position: DB
    Height: 5-10 Weight: 190 lbs.

Born: February 18, 1986 in Delray Beach, FL (Age 28.115)
    High School: Atlantic
    College: Virginia Tech (school history) (Flowers college stats)
    Drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2nd round (35th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Weighted Career AV (100-95-...): 35 (2654th overall since 1950)
    1-time Pro Bowler (fine print)

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...F/FlowBr99.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Carmelo is available too.
    a 6'8 cornerback with speed and athleticism? sign the beast!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Come on, this isn't Madden. We drafted a corner fairly high and we picked up Patterson for a decent amount of money. We can't go out the and spend big bucks on yet another corner.
    You mean the kid who barely played his senior year of college and the guy who has played 1 full season of NFL football? Yeah, it would totally be a Madden move to try and find someone with actual experience over those guys...especially with like 30M in cap space

With that said, I won't be surprised if we don't sign him but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to.

All Pro
    Wouldn't mind if Idzik brung him in for a look but not expecting him too......

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Will be interesting to see if we bring him in for a look
    We would be foolish not to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dude is talented. He would immediately become our best CB. Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Dude is talented. He would immediately become our best CB. Hands down.
    Then why was he released by the Chiefs? Was is it cap considerations?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Then why was he released by the Chiefs? Was is it cap considerations?
    I honestly don't know. I would imagine that was a big reason. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl last year?

Or, new regime. Personality conflicts?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    They clearly haven't wanted him for a while and it sounds mutual, why would they wait so long to release him?

Big contract. So much of the personnel moves is about the salary cap. New regime. Prolly tried to trade him.

If we ever signed him it would mean Idzik & Co. felt he was better than Wilson, Lankster, and any other smurf DB they already have...and that includes on Special Teams...Dude is small.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I honestly don't know. I would imagine that was a big reason. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl last year?

Or, new regime. Personality conflicts?
    because he played like **** last year...which coincided with Bob Sutton coming in and running a more man to man press scheme that he took with him from.. wait for it... the Jets. Flowers won't be coming here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    because he played like **** last year...which coincided with Bob Sutton coming in and running a more man to man press scheme that he took with him from.. wait for it... the Jets. Flowers won't be coming here.
    How did he make the Pro Bowl if he was that bad? I know it's a popularity contest but there are a lot of good CB's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Will be interesting to see if we bring him in for a look:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...randon-flowers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Cornerback Brandon Flowers, a six-year starter, was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday. Flowers played in his first Pro Bowl game last season.

Flowers had been absent from the Chiefs' offseason practices this year, indicating he was unhappy playing in Kansas City. The Chiefs shifted him to nickel back last season in obvious passing situations.

Marcus Cooper, the third cornerback last season as a rookie, had replaced Flowers in the starting lineup during offseason practice.

Flowers had been a solid player for the Chiefs until 2013, when he had perhaps his worst season despite making the Pro Bowl. New general manager John Dorsey favors bigger cornerbacks and the 5-foot-9 Flowers struggled in the Chiefs' new defensive system, which often called for Flowers to cover bigger and more physical receivers.

"We appreciate Brandon's contributions to the team over the last six seasons," Dorsey said in a statement. "It's in the best interest of the club and the player to part ways at this time. We wish him nothing but the best as he continues his career."

I would be interested but I would prefer Joseph if released by Texans which is expected. Flowers had a bad year last year. I think Cromartie making the pro bowl last year shows how meaningless an accolade that is.