Thread: Jets quarterback Geno Smith expects 'big things' from the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post Jets quarterback Geno Smith expects 'big things' from the offense.

Jets quarterback Geno Smith expects 'big things' from the offense

Geno Smith, shown during Jets practice in Florham Park during this offseason, believes the Jets could be one of the NFL's top offensive teams. ((Robert Sciarrino/The Star-Ledger))

By Kevin Manahan/NJ.com The Star-Ledger
    June 15, 2014 at 6:39 AM, updated June 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM

It doesn't take much -- a running back with some tread worn off his tires, a wide receiver who might not play up to his pay check and a rookie tight end who is lost in the playbook -- and suddenly Jets quarterback Geno Smith starts talking crazy.

He's not worried about learning the playbook, he's focused on "perfecting" it. He believes the Jets might have one of the best offenses in the NFL. And after committing 25 turnovers last season, he now sees himself as a coach.

Smith hosted his ProCamps football camp in Scotch Plains on Saturday and hung out with roughly 300 kids in grades one through eight. When he took a break from schooling the little ones, he spoke about his expectations for 2014.

“There’s no comparison,” Smith said via the New York Post. “Last year, I was a rookie. I was learning. I’m still learning, but I was learning the offense. I know the offense. Now, it’s about perfecting it. There’s really no comparison. It’s completely night and day.

“I expect big things from us. We all expect the same thing. We’re still growing. We’re still competing with one another. Right now I can see us just jelling really like a team that’s going some places in the future.”

Despite a late start to the offseason, the Jets added running back Chris Johnson and wide receiver Eric Decker. They also grabbed tight end Jace Amaro in the draft. Those additions lead Smith to believe the Jets could have one of the league's most potent attacks.

“We have that goal," he told the Post. "We have high expectations for one another. We always set high expectations. Ultimately, it’s about the production on the field. When we get on the field against an opposing defense, then we’ll see. But our goals are set high.”

Smith -- who is the likely starter over Michael Vick, another offseason acquisition -- will use the minicamps to continue to build chemistry with his receivers, something he tried to do last year, "but I was just so engulfed in trying to learn the playbook and getting my steps down and all the little things, that it’s kind of difficult to develop that exact chemistry that we want,” he said.

“I can see it this year. It’s night and day because I can coach guys up on where I need them to be. … That’s what quarterbacking is. It’s about being the coach on the field. That’s the position we’re in right now. We’re still building. We’re still developing that chemistry, but as of right now, we’re levels ahead of where we were at this time last year.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...e_offense.html

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Jets quarterback Geno Smith expects 'big things' from the offense

Geno Smith, shown during Jets practice in Florham Park during this offseason, believes the Jets could be one of the NFL's top offensive teams. ((Robert Sciarrino/The Star-Ledger))

By Kevin Manahan/NJ.com The Star-Ledger
    June 15, 2014 at 6:39 AM, updated June 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM

It doesn't take much -- a running back with some tread worn off his tires, a wide receiver who might not play up to his pay check and a rookie tight end who is lost in the playbook -- and suddenly Jets quarterback Geno Smith starts talking crazy.

He's not worried about learning the playbook, he's focused on "perfecting" it. He believes the Jets might have one of the best offenses in the NFL. And after committing 25 turnovers last season, he now sees himself as a coach.

Smith hosted his ProCamps football camp in Scotch Plains on Saturday and hung out with roughly 300 kids in grades one through eight. When he took a break from schooling the little ones, he spoke about his expectations for 2014.

“There’s no comparison,” Smith said via the New York Post. “Last year, I was a rookie. I was learning. I’m still learning, but I was learning the offense. I know the offense. Now, it’s about perfecting it. There’s really no comparison. It’s completely night and day.

“I expect big things from us. We all expect the same thing. We’re still growing. We’re still competing with one another. Right now I can see us just jelling really like a team that’s going some places in the future.”

Despite a late start to the offseason, the Jets added running back Chris Johnson and wide receiver Eric Decker. They also grabbed tight end Jace Amaro in the draft. Those additions lead Smith to believe the Jets could have one of the league's most potent attacks.

“We have that goal," he told the Post. "We have high expectations for one another. We always set high expectations. Ultimately, it’s about the production on the field. When we get on the field against an opposing defense, then we’ll see. But our goals are set high.”

Smith -- who is the likely starter over Michael Vick, another offseason acquisition -- will use the minicamps to continue to build chemistry with his receivers, something he tried to do last year, "but I was just so engulfed in trying to learn the playbook and getting my steps down and all the little things, that it’s kind of difficult to develop that exact chemistry that we want,” he said.

“I can see it this year. It’s night and day because I can coach guys up on where I need them to be. … That’s what quarterbacking is. It’s about being the coach on the field. That’s the position we’re in right now. We’re still building. We’re still developing that chemistry, but as of right now, we’re levels ahead of where we were at this time last year.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...e_offense.html
    I've never seen Sanchez do that, and I always looked for it. I was waiting for it...I've never seen Geno do it either, but at least he's acknowledge it now. It'll be nice to see.

Gotta love the kid. He just oozes confidence in what he does.

I certainly expect vast improvement from the usual 1st-year-rookie growing pains and I believe we'll get it. Only question is just how MUCH of an improvement will it be?

One thing is for sure, however, he's got a hell of a lot more weapons to use this coming season than he did last year.

It's June. Everyone is confident and full of hope/promise. All 32 teams think every part of their team will be awesome and that they will be Super Bowl contenders.

However, this offense has pretty much the ceiling of an average offense, and that's fine, because that's all that it's going to take to win here as long as Rex Ryan is running the defense.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I like the words.

Let's see if actions match them when TC & preseason are in full force.

Geno just needs to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers. The Jets don't want him to have to win too many games for them. This O will be much improved over last season.

we can't wait, no seriously. we're tired of waiting. get it done

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Please make it happen Geno.
    Help me believe in you. Play well.

Veteran
    Geno. I know the difference between chicken salad and chicken ____ . It looks like chicken salad .....

All Pro
    I really hope this guy gets it. I've seen the intangibles in him since WVU. If he puts it all together he can be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I really hope this guy gets it. I've seen the intangibles in him since WVU. If he puts it all together he can be really good.
    Plus we can get all that extra yardage awarded on intangibles alone.

I guess you need to say something, it is the NY media after all. But I'd just as soon people shut their collective mouths and show it on the field. Of course we expect big things...2nd year QB, some new weapons, another year in Marty's offense, and a brand new season where everyone is 0-0.

Just do it on the field for chrissakes.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Geno. I know the difference between chicken salad and chicken ____ . It looks like chicken salad .....
    Hope he can turn that chicken salad into a chicken sandwich. I'm hungry.