Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Go Bowling. JetsBlog Goes Nuts!

Jets Go Bowling. JetsBlog Goes Nuts!

From the Jets Blog:

Not Bowled Over
    – Dom Cosentino hit it right on the head with his assessment of the Jets playing hooky on their last day. Yes, these activities are “voluntary” but every player is there for their own edification and the betterment of the team. While there’s a lot of rules about how much time players can spend on the field together, it’s not as if players haven’t been using all off-season to refine their game. No and his defensive line brethren headed to Houston this winter to learn from one of the best line coaches on their own dime. Are there downsides? The potential to sending a wrong message? Playing bowling or paintball isn’t just a chance to have some team bonding, I think it’s about something else. Ryan doesn’t like taking chances with injuries, often sitting players on the day they sign a big contract or putting veterans with nagging injuries on “pitch counts.” I have to think that Ryan’s unwillingness to see a player injured on the last day of voluntary team activities is a driving force behind why the coach took it easy on his fellas during the last day of voluntary team activities.

Has to be one of the dumbest comments ever written (and I shudder to think of the competition such a thought engenders)

Ever work for an employer who thought smiling was against company policy? Ever work for an employer who believed beating harder on employees made them better workers? Sign up at the Jets Blog--except I don't believe they believe it either.

Missing an OTA for team building will not be one of the factors keeping the Jets from reaching the SB.

Jets have been consistent in believing that team unity and team closeness are important. Cuts from the grind and a little fun as part of the job build morale. Especially if, as I think is the case, the Jets believe that they are where they expect and want to be at the end of OTA's.

Good for Rex (and John).

A team activity such as bowling build camaraderie and brings the team closer together, helping communication.
    There are things to be gained from it.

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    From the Jets Blog:

Not Bowled Over
    – Dom Cosentino hit it right on the head with his assessment of the Jets playing hooky on their last day. Yes, these activities are “voluntary” but every player is there for their own edification and the betterment of the team. While there’s a lot of rules about how much time players can spend on the field together, it’s not as if players haven’t been using all off-season to refine their game. No and his defensive line brethren headed to Houston this winter to learn from one of the best line coaches on their own dime. Are there downsides? The potential to sending a wrong message? Playing bowling or paintball isn’t just a chance to have some team bonding, I think it’s about something else. Ryan doesn’t like taking chances with injuries, often sitting players on the day they sign a big contract or putting veterans with nagging injuries on “pitch counts.” I have to think that Ryan’s unwillingness to see a player injured on the last day of voluntary team activities is a driving force behind why the coach took it easy on his fellas during the last day of voluntary team activities.

Has to be one of the dumbest comments ever written (and I shudder to think of the competition such a thought engenders)

Ever work for an employer who thought smiling was against company policy? Ever work for an employer who believed beating harder on employees made them better workers? Sign up at the Jets Blog--except I don't believe they believe it either.

Missing an OTA for team building will not be one of the factors keeping the Jets from reaching the SB.

Jets have been consistent in believing that team unity and team closeness are important. Cuts from the grind and a little fun as part of the job build morale. Especially if, as I think is the case, the Jets believe that they are where they expect and want to be at the end of OTA's.

Good for Rex (and John).
    Blogger = any schmuck that has internet access and hosts a web-site putting up a Jets theme.

These wannabees get far too much media-like attention.

Did any of you read the original article/comment about going bowling?

All three previous commenters criticized the writer for not understanding that it wasn't a big deal for the team to go bowling...

Here's the problem. The original article AND the blog post, AGREES WITH YOU! The original article, in it's entirety is this

Here's what's wrong with Rex Ryan taking Jets bowling on last day of OTAs
    Nothing.
    TheJetsBlog writer (Brian Bassett, who by the way has been writing interesting articles about the Jets for years now), agrees with that assessment.

Well, it's more constructive than Dave and Buster's.

But, it really shouldn't matter what the team does when they're not in the field.

Rex does seem to genuinely care about building and strengthening relationships with his players- there aren't too many other coaches you can say that about.

Who cares??

Rookie
    All the article the OP is complaining about did was to run up the flag pole the idea of Rex & Co. looking to preempt any possible last second injuries. This is idea simply food for thought. The OP's histrionics are uncalled for. For example, what if Rex & Co. were extremely please with the way things went and wanted to "put it in the can" "as is" and begin planning the for the next phase of preseason? Keep everyone 100% healthy and give them all more time for conditioning etc. going forward. Plus the team building element of course.

Hall Of Fame
    With the new CBA you would think they have enough down time to do these things outside of OTAs and practice time. Rex no doubt does the right thing by his players but since the sleep consultants, leadership workshops, laser tags, Dave & Busters and bowling how many playoff games have we won? Maybe they should get back to the "team building" stuff they did in '09 and '10.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    With the new CBA you would think they have enough down time to do these things outside of OTAs and practice time. Rex no doubt does the right thing by his players but since the sleep consultants, leadership workshops, laser tags, Dave & Busters and bowling how many playoff games have we won? Maybe they should get back to the "team building" stuff they did in '09 and '10.
    Who would have guessed that you would think this might a reason for the playoff drought, to think any of this nonsense could hurt playoff chances

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Who would have guessed that you would think this might a reason for the playoff drought, to think any of this nonsense could hurt playoff chances
    And who would have guessed that you would be the first to get butthurt by Jet criticism.

Point is when you win you are called a genius for doing this stuff and when you lose people will say you aren't working hard. For example, last year we went to Dave & Busters and played terribly the next game meanwhile the Patriots all went to see "Lone Survivor" and were hailed for it. There is a fine line between "team building" and "not working hard". When you win you find yourself on the right side of that line.

And FWIW I actually think this is a good thing. Now is the time to do this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    From the Jets Blog:

Not Bowled Over

Good for Rex (and John).
    See 2014 NY Rangers. They were the closest team I think I have ever seen and look where it got them...

Did you guys actually read the comment? The original article actually read this way.

Here's what's wrong with Rex Ryan taking Jets bowling on last day of OTAs

Nothing.
    This is just another case of people looking for something to complain about. The guy who wrote the article and Bassett BOTH AGREE WITH YOU.

All League
    I think it’s about something else. Ryan doesn’t like taking chances with injuries, often sitting players on the day they sign a big contract or putting veterans with nagging injuries on “pitch counts.” I have to think that Ryan’s unwillingness to see a player injured on the last day of voluntary team activities is a driving force behind why the coach took it easy on his fellas during the last day of voluntary team activities.

No, but he put a starting QB in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game and it cost that player his season and took away the potential for him to at least back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    See 2014 NY Rangers. They were the closest team I think I have ever seen and look where it got them...
    3 OT losses from the Stanley Cup. Disappointed by the losses, thrilled with the team. Performed beyond our best expectations.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

it’s not as if players haven’t been using all off-season to refine their game. No and his defensive line brethren headed to Houston this winter to learn from one of the best line coaches on their own dime
    Did I miss something?

I don't recall what this was about ... Anyone know?

Thx!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Did I miss something?

Thx!!
    That was Mo and Sheldon that went to Houston.. It was on SNY Jet Nation..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And who would have guessed that you would be the first to get butthurt by Jet criticism.

Point is when you win you are called a genius for doing this stuff and when you lose people will say you aren't working hard. For example, last year we went to Dave & Busters and played terribly the next game meanwhile the Patriots all went to see "Lone Survivor" and were hailed for it. There is a fine line between "team building" and "not working hard". When you win you find yourself on the right side of that line.

And FWIW I actually think this is a good thing. Now is the time to do this stuff.
    Point is you never hint at genius, always question with a negative spin. It's amazing how you come up with a negative spin on every single point. And then act shocked whenever any of us point it out.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Did I miss something?

Thx!!
    Most of them are in off-season programs- they're given guides by the HC and staff on what they'd like to see each guy work at particularly. For instance Wilkerson and Richardson went to a DL camp; Coples went somewhere else, as explained by Rex in his recent presser that's on the Jets site.

The OTA's are a chance for the team to get together and get organized...that blogger is pretty good. A clueless dbag like Mehta would read something negative into it

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Did any of you read the original article/comment about going bowling?

All three previous commenters criticized the writer for not understanding that it wasn't a big deal for the team to go bowling...

Here's the problem. The original article AND the blog post, AGREES WITH YOU! The original article, in it's entirety is this

TheJetsBlog writer (Brian Bassett, who by the way has been writing interesting articles about the Jets for years now), agrees with that assessment.
    Wow reading comprehension is not strong with these guys. Brian used too many words, I think. They couldn't possibly be expected to read a whole article with substance, but they have no problem reading thousands of one sentence posts worth of buzz words.
    The Jets blog is about the best Jets site out there. I like Bent better, but Brian gets it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Where did they bowl, Rt. 10 or Madison, no bowls for Holmes.