Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Jeff Cumberland Takes Over as TE Position Leader

Jeff Cumberland Takes Over as Position Leader
    Posted 2 hours ago
    Charlie Frankel Reporter
    Fifth-Year Man, Easily Jets’ Oldest TE on the Roster, Says, ‘I’m Not in My Prime Yet’

Jeff Cumberland, entering his fifth year in the league, is in an interesting situation.

On the one hand, he’s the oldest and most experienced tight end on our roster, and it’s not even close. His four full years of NFL experience are more than the other five TEs combined.

“When I got here, we had guys in the locker room,” Cumberland said. “We had Dustin Keller, we had Ben Hartsock, last year we had Kellen [Winslow], so I’ve had guys around me to help me see the way and see what there is out there. Now that I have this younger group, it’s up to me to kind of help these guys get the feel as well.”

“As a veteran guy, he has great football smarts,” second-year tight end Zach Sudfeld said. “He’s a leader who’s great for talking through plays and everything else with. He’s very accommodating with all the younger guys and it’s a blast playing with him.”

On the other hand, Cumberland still has a long way to go before reaching his proverbial ceiling.

“In my room, I have no choice but to be that veteran guy,” he said, “but overall I feel like I’m a young veteran player. I’ve been around and I’ve seen it, but at the same time this is only my third year of actually being on the field and playing so I still consider myself as being a young player. I’m not in my prime yet.”

If the 27-year-old Cumberland is indeed still on the rise, it won’t be long before he becomes what tight ends coach Steve Hagen wants each individual in the group to be: elite.

“Run and catch like a receiver, and block like a beast,” Cumberland said. “That’s what he preaches, and that’s what we try to do. We’re big receivers and small linemen who have to do the best of both worlds.”

Cumberland’s 6’4”, 260-pound frame certainly helps him hold his own against opposing 300-plus pounders in the trenches, but it helps him blaze by defenders as well, interestingly enough.

“Even in college when I played receiver, a lot of guys are like, ‘Well, he can’t be that fast because he’s a big guy,’ and then when I run right by him he’s like, ‘Well, kind of fast,’ " he said. "It’s always good to be the underdog, but hopefully soon people will realize exactly who I am and what I have to offer. But that’s up to making plays out there on the field.”

Last year, Cumberland made enough plays on the field to lead the Green & White in receiving touchdowns, but is this Jet’s career still taking off?

“I’m just taking things one by one,” he said. “As I continue to get comfortable, build more confidence and learn what the defense wants to do against us, I can see things a lot faster and I can move a lot quicker. Then I can get out there and show my abilities of what I have to offer for the team.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...d-079929833bd1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Cumberland is the oldest TE on the team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets should re-sign Mickey Shuler. Older = better, apparently.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he just mention Ben Hartsock?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Did he just mention Ben Hartsock?
    You mean the 4th best overall TE rated by PFF?

That's how ridiculous it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony Becht is still better then Cumby. I'd rather see us resign him then let Cumby play one more down.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Anthony Becht is still better then Cumby. I'd rather see us resign him then let Cumby play one more down.
    Ole Stonehands?

Pass.

Cumberland - much like Kerley is very under-rated & unappreciated.

Cumby's biggest problem is staying healthy - but when he is on the field, he is a complete TE & a good pass-catching option.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Ole Stonehands?

Pass.

Cumby's biggest problem is staying healthy - but when he is on the field, he is a complete TE & a good pass-catching option.
    For what team?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    For what team?
    He had 4 passing TD's last season more then any Jets WR and he flashed some big play availability last season - particularly downfield on seam routes.

Cumberland improves every year, thats all you can ask for and its not like the Jets are spending big money on him.

Considering the guy was an undrafted free agent, he is developing pretty well.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-17-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He had 4 passing TD's last season more then any Jets WR and he flashed some big play availability last season - particularly downfield on seam routes.

Cumberland improves every year, thats all you can ask for and its not like the Jets are spending big money on him.
    Injuries have slowed his progress. So have the OC changes. He's gonna be a productive player for them. Top speed for a TE, goin' @ 6'4" and 260. A year with MM gonna help a lot. A player reaching his prime as an athlete at 27 years old, signed for three years. This is the ideal age when considering youth and experience. The only way he's not the #1 is if Amaro, or somebody, lights it up, and that would mean they struck gold.

Looking forward to watching Cumberland slipping into the seams and catching passes from Geno for big chunks of yards.

If Amaro progresses quickly all the better for them, making Cumberland a nice #2 next year, and a good FA signing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what team?
    You're being a ridiculous turd, stop it!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Right back at ya!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is the wost TE I have ever seen play in the league and is useless in every aspect of the game. I see no upside at all in even having him on the roster. Id rather have BE playing TE. Cumby wouldnt even be in the league right now if he had been on any other team. He hasnt progressed one bit in his time here. He cant do anything right and is a complete embarrassment IMO. I have seen more talented TE in the LFL. Tebow was a better QB then this guy is a TE. I am sure he is goo at something but it isnt football. His talent for the game is none existent after 4 years time to move on. People saying he can catch obviously havent watched him play at all. Honestly the guy just doesnt belong on a pro team at all. I am not even sure he would make a AFL team PS. He is really that bad. It is a joke he is still on this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Right back at ya!
    GFY peabrain

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is the wost TE I have ever seen play in the league and is useless in every aspect of the game. I see no upside at all in even having him on the roster. Id rather have BE playing TE. Cumby wouldnt even be in the league right now if he had been on any other team. He hasnt progressed one bit in his time here. He cant do anything right and is a complete embarrassment IMO. I have seen more talented TE in the LFL. Tebow was a better QB then this guy is a TE. I am sure he is goo at something but it isnt football. His talent for the game is none existent after 4 years time to move on. People saying he can catch obviously havent watched him play at all. Honestly the guy just doesnt belong on a pro team at all. I am not even sure he would make a AFL team PS. He is really that bad. It is a joke he is still on this team.
    This is just ridiculous, he wouldn't be in the league without the Jets? Nonsense. Mike Nolan of the Falcons know a thing or two about talent on offense and trying to defend against a TE and had more than favorable commentary on Cumberland as a player. Cumberland was a raw player coming out of college making a position switch to TE, he has gotten better every year!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    You mean the 4th best overall TE rated by PFF?

That's how ridiculous it is.
    While that ranking is absurd, the truth is the reason he is so high is that blocking actually matters when evaluating a TE.

I hope im wrong and the organization sees that cumberland is on the verge of putting it all together, but for a guy who is 260, he is an atrocious, atrocious blocker. Hopefully he can become just a decent blocker and have us be able to utilize 2 TE sets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ole Stonehands?

Pass.

While he is a good receiver, to say he is a complete TE implies that he can block which he has proven to date that he cannot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where all of the disdain for Cumberland is coming from. Other than his injury history I always thought he was good value for the short dollars he was getting. In other words someone who outperformed his cap number and a good citizen to boot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he has the measurables, shown some flashed but has been hurt too much and inconsistent when he does play. if he can stay healthy he might be a very good #2 for us, another big receiver. he ain't making much so give him another shot but should be gone after this year if he doesn't perform.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just ridiculous, he wouldn't be in the league without the Jets? Nonsense. Mike Nolan of the Falcons know a thing or two about talent on offense and trying to defend against a TE and had more than favorable commentary on Cumberland as a player. Cumberland was a raw player coming out of college making a position switch to TE, he has gotten better every year!!
    No he really hasnt. He looked really bad last year. No way any other team would still be wasting time on him. He hasnt done jack. He was a redzone target solely last year and did a very poor job. Last year we had nothing on redzone O which was why Geno ran in as many TDs as he did. Just stop with this nonsense. There is no way anyone who has watched this guy play over the last few years thinks he belongs in this league. I would trade him for name any player here.. The guy is just the worst player on the team and it isnt even a question.