Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff Cumberland Takes Over as TE Position Leader

Actually, with Amaro as a real offensive weapon, I think Cumberland can be quite dangerous in 2 TE formations. Cumberland has size and pretty good speed for that position, and he is still only 27 years old.

Cumberland has been so underutilized in our podunk offense I actually consider him a boring player, even though he has athleticism that would make him an eye catching young prospect on teams that can actually throw the ball.

I think the addition of Amaro is a huge positive for Cumbrrland, because BOTH can line up outside, and they can probably make that decision when they break the huddle and choose favorable match ups based on who the defense puts out there. It could make for some very exciting mismatches.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Actually, with Amaro as a real offensive weapon, I think Cumberland can be quite dangerous in 2 TE formations. Cumberland has size and pretty good speed for that position, and he is still only 27 years old.
    Having two TE's who can't block in simultaneously could be a risky proposition unless our O-line takes a quantum leap forward.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    He had 4 passing TD's last season more then any Jets WR and he flashed some big play availability last season - particularly downfield on seam routes.

Cumberland improves every year, thats all you can ask for and its not like the Jets are spending big money on him.

Considering the guy was an undrafted free agent, he is developing pretty well.
    Every off season there are articles about Cumberland being poised to breakout - he's acutally not super young at 27. He should be productive this year - if he doesn't do it in 2014 he'll never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    he has the measurables, shown some flashed but has been hurt too much and inconsistent when he does play. if he can stay healthy he might be a very good #2 for us, another big receiver. he ain't making much so give him another shot but should be gone after this year if he doesn't perform.
    True. Last season he made some plays. But I'm fed up with all the players that flash for this team. We need players to step up and produce on a consistent level. 4 years and all he has shown is flash, it all or over for him this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Every off season there are articles about Cumberland being poised to breakout - he's acutally not super young at 27. He should be productive this year - if he doesn't do it in 2014 he'll never do it.
    He really doesn't NEED to "breakout", he is a complimentary player and not a starting #1 TE. If he catches 40 passes this year it could be a good year if Amaro plays the entire season and produces as well. The Jets got 60 receptions out of Cumberland and Winslow last year. If Cumberland catches 40-45 and Amaro catches 50-55 that is a decent realistic improvement from that position.

All Pro

Jeff Cumberland Takes Over as TE Position Leader

Plays to upright and stuff for my liking ..his over ferl on the field is below average. He is fast with good size tho

All Pro
    This ... Exactly how I feel about it

Veteran
    Some view him as a marginal player, I don't. May not be the fastest or most agile guy around, but he latches on to a pass and doesn't let go.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And there's nothing wrong with a marginal player being on the roster for depth, a rotation or for some formations. Problem is that in this day of sports talk 24/7 people need to whine that the 2nd and 3rd string players aren't pro bowl material. It's like there are 10 Jerome from the Bronx calling for someone's head at too many positions.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Foster played 8 total games and graham also had atrocious QB play.

My point is, with how depleted our WR corps was last year, if cumberland could get open he would have gotten targets and catches - he didnt.
    Stop exaggerating. Graham didn't have atrocious QB play.