Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 742

Thread: Redskins Lose Trademark on Redskin Name: It's "Disparaging"

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566

    Redskins Lose Trademark on Redskin Name: It's "Disparaging"

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...789_story.html

    U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

    BY THERESA VARGAS June 18 at 9:56 AM
    The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

    The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

    “This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

    Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

    “We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”


    So...the TT&A Board gave them the trademark, and then took it back? Isn't that...

    nevermind

  2. #2
    Awesome.

    A name change is absolutely inevitable. Fans of the name should get used to that idea now.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Don't let PETA get a hold of this otherwise teams like the Ravens, Falcons, Bengals, Panthers etc. will have to change their names as well. What a joke society has become...

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    How is a drawing of an Indian “disparaging to Native Americans.”? I get the name "Redskins" but a picture that isn't a caricature, that is an accurate portrayal and doesn't denigrate anyone?

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,928
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Don't let PETA get a hold of this otherwise teams like the Ravens, Falcons, Bengals, Panthers etc. will have to change their names as well. What a joke society has become...
    PETA has nothing to do with this.

  7. #7
    Why aren't the Cleveland Indians being forced to change their logo? They might just have the most blatantly offensive depiction of a Native American I've seen in sports. I'm an FSU fan, and at least we honor the Seminole tribe and have their blessing in using the Seminole name.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    Why aren't the Cleveland Indians being forced to change their logo? They might just have the most blatantly offensive depiction of a Native American I've seen in sports. I'm an FSU fan, and at least we honor the Seminole tribe and have their blessing in using the Seminole name.
    True, but that "blessing" was not free. Maybe the Redskins should "donate" a certain percentage of anything made off of the trademark to the Native American tribes.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,849
    They'll probably switch to the arrowhead logo they've used in the past


    Redskinsarrow.jpg


    Personally, I think it sucks that they'll end up changing the name because I'm a traditionalist.

    They'll probably be the Washington Seminoles or something

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,909
    Yes, because changing Redskins to something like Redstorm will really help Native Americans. Let's just ignore all the other injustices, the land grab, their health issues and alcoholism, etc.

    I'm sure that Native Americans would rather see the US Patent Office restrict the trademark on the name of a sports team than have the government work on improving quality education for their children.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, but that "blessing" was not free. Maybe the Redskins should "donate" a certain percentage of anything made off of the trademark to the Native American tribes.
    Perhaps America should just keep paying to people who were persecuted? **** that. If you got your ass kicked, you lose. You don't get anything.

    Anyone who supports this is a flaming liberal, trying to defend the so called persecuted.

    They should all be ashamed of themselves, and acknowkedge (which they are too egotistical, cowardly and ignorant) that they are just government elected bullies.

    For shame. Our society has become a bunch of clowns. We're a collective joke.

    A name hurts someone's feelings so it's changed. Are you ****ing kidding?.

    There are real issues at hand, and this is important.

    You know what's disparaging? The way America is being pussified.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Awesome.

    A name change is absolutely inevitable. Fans of the name should get used to that idea now.
    I wouldn't think a declared Libertarian would be so thrilled by the Gov't exercising such punitive power over a business. But I guess as long as you agree with it, huh?

    They should change the name to something completely unrelated and wipe away any reference to the group that is so offended. Then they can wait for the protests about how they aren't getting respect.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How is a drawing of an Indian “disparaging to Native Americans.”? I get the name "Redskins" but a picture that isn't a caricature, that is an accurate portrayal and doesn't denigrate anyone?
    The answer is in the post. Did you read it?
    U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

    BY THERESA VARGAS June 18 at 9:56 AM
    The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

    Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 06-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    They'll probably switch to the arrowhead logo they've used in the past


    Redskinsarrow.jpg

    Personally, I think it sucks that they'll end up changing the name because I'm a traditionalist.

    They'll probably be the Washington Seminoles or something
    I actually like that logo better

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,849
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Perhaps America should just keep paying to people who were persecuted? **** that. If you got your ass kicked, you lose. You don't get anything.

    Anyone who supports this is a flaming liberal, trying to defend the so called persecuted.

    They should all be ashamed of themselves, and acknowkedge (which they are too egotistical, cowardly and ignorant) that they are just government elected bullies.

    For shame. Our society has become a bunch of clowns. We're a collective joke.

    A name hurts someone's feelings so it's changed. Are you ****ing kidding?.

    There are real issues at hand, and this is important.

    You know what's disparaging? The way America is being pussified.
    Pretty much

    They've even done polls on this in the past and the results were always the same...the vast majority of Natives couldn't care less about the name. Many even mentioned it as a point of pride.

    White liberals have way more of a problem with the Redskins name than Natives do.

  16. #16
    Amazing that Washington might be home to two of the biggest name changes in sports. The Bullets, who became the Wizards and now this.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    PETA has nothing to do with this.
    Went right over your head...

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,776
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...789_story.html

    U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

    BY THERESA VARGAS June 18 at 9:56 AM
    The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

    The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

    “This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

    Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

    “We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”


    So...the TT&A Board gave them the trademark, and then took it back? Isn't that...

    nevermind
    Where do you see anything in here about the logo?

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,518
    I'm still upset about St. John's becoming the Red Storm.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,274
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Perhaps America should just keep paying to people who were persecuted? **** that. If you got your ass kicked, you lose. You don't get anything.

    Anyone who supports this is a flaming liberal, trying to defend the so called persecuted.

    They should all be ashamed of themselves, and acknowkedge (which they are too egotistical, cowardly and ignorant) that they are just government elected bullies.

    For shame. Our society has become a bunch of clowns. We're a collective joke.

    A name hurts someone's feelings so it's changed. Are you ****ing kidding?.

    There are real issues at hand, and this is important.

    You know what's disparaging? The way America is being pussified.
    I totally agree with you. My point was that the "issues" that many Native Americans get upset over often go away with a monetary solution. I am not saying that they SHOULD be paid, but rather it would be interesting to see if this goes away with money being thrown at it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us